• Register
  • Help

Topic: Damping the Chromatic Harp

Damping the Chromatic Harp

I\'m using the MIDI CC#64, Sustain Pedal, to damp my harp part in particular places in my scores where my processor can\'t handle rapid un-damped harp parts.

My question is about the correct value for MIDI CC#64 for damping the harp.

I\'ve read somewhere on the Internet that the \"depressed\" sustain pedal is a non-zero value. But I discovered that values of 1 and 64 (and other non-zero values) have no effect. But, I found that a value of 127 does successfully damp the harp, which is what I\'m using now. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I don\'t know if I\'ve discovered a bug or I simply don\'t understand the sustain pedal controller.

I use Finale to create MIDI files so I can make my \"damp\" commands (CC#64) any value. I import the MIDI files into Cubasis VST, which is set up to use GPO as a \"VST Instrument\".

Here\'s my setup:

GPO: 1.0.2
    Processor: Celeron 2.4 GHz
    RAM: 760 MB
    System: Windows XP

Thanks for any info!

P.S. The contrabassoon & oboe d\'amore sounds are truly awesome! What are my chances of getting a Heckelphone?

Re: Damping the Chromatic Harp

Hi Adam,

Sustain pedals have binary effect: or they are depressed or they are not. Their MIDI controller has 127 values by design, but they behave as boolean: 0-63 = FALSE, 64-127 = TRUE. If you record MIDI data with your pedal, you will see that it only records 0\'s and 127\'s.

Several pedal devices have polarity switches to adapt which MIDI value to deliver when they are depressed, so this is somewhat relative. But, anyway this will depend on how GPO is programmed on Kontakt.

I am affraid I can not be more explicit at this moment, as I have not received my own copy of GPO yet, and I don\'t know how the harps are programmed.

\"..P.S. The contrabassoon & oboe d\'amore sounds are truly awesome! What are my chances of getting a Heckelphone?\"

DITTO on the heckelphone or a bass oboe. In fact I would like to see these fringe orchestral instruments brought into GPO. How about bass trumpet, contrabass trombone, \'Wagner\' tenor tubas and alto trombone (there, my wish list!).

GAlvedro is correct. The values to use are \"0\" and \"127.\"

Thanks to galvedro and Tom Hopkins for the info on the on & off values for the Sustain Pedal CC#64 values.

For the record,
    </font><ul type=\"square\">[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Damp Chromatic Harp: Sustain Pedal = 127.</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Let Chromatic Harp Ring: Sustain Pedal = 0.</font>[/list]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\"> The more I understand how to control GPO, the better it sounds. I recall reading elsewhere in this forum someone ran out of CPU when he added a harp to his song. I\'ve discovered that if I damp the harp in some (but not all) passages my CPU needs are dramatically reduced.

And nexus, we get superior sounds and we just want more & more! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Let\'s add a Stopped Horn to the wish list!

Go Back to forum