• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO's contrabass clarinet - any comments?

Share/Bookmark

GPO\'s contrabass clarinet - any comments?

Just wondering if anyone\'s got an opinion on this instrument. Any good? As the other woodwinds sound so nice, I\'d be surprised if it weren\'t.

Opinions (or even a quick demo) would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Heath

Re: GPO\'s contrabass clarinet - any comments?

Sounds nice enough to me, but then I\'ve never actually heard a real one.

The compass seems small though. According to Samuel Adler\'s \"The Study of Orchestration\" the instrument should be capable of notes a major 3rd lower, and a perfect 5th higher than we are given.

But then, what does it matter? How many of us are going to score for the instrument?

It\'s a GREAT one! You NEVER find this important woodwind in any collections except the old Roland one. It shows Gary really has a great sense for what is needed and what is just fluff.

If you want to hear what a good one sounds like, just watch an old episode of the orginal \"STAR TREK\", you know the ones with Capt. Kirk. Watch for an episode called \"Catspaw\" and at the end of that one, there is some eerie bass and contra clarinet scoring. Great!

You might also try finding soundtrack albums from the late great Bernard Herrmann. Low woods were his signature sound.

Heath, I noticed you changed your sig. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Scott Cairns:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m trying to pass subliminal messages to developers. It seems to be working so far.

My next one will be:

\"VSL 2nd Edition for 160 bucks? Really? Oh good! When?\".

That one could take a little time though.

Heath

Originally posted by Scott Cairns:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The subliminal message worked on me. I was wondering why I had the urge to include a contrabass clarinet in GPO.

For some strange reason I\'m getting the urge to sample a cymbalom. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Gary Garritan

I like it!

How bout; \"Giga 3 on the 1st of January?\" what? \"for a street price of $50?\"

Great!

The contrabass clarinet sounds good to me. I am dissappointed in the range, though. It stops on a low F sharp, whereas the official range of a bona fide contrabass clarinet goes down to low D. I wonder if what was sampled was actually a contra-alto clarinet?

Anyway, I hope those lower notes will be added sometime. I was looking forward to using them on a project later.

Daniel,

The Contrabass Clarinet used in GPO was an Eb Contrabass Clarinet made by Selmer played with a Selmer D mouthpiece. The Eb Contrabass Clarinet is also known as the \"contra-alto\" and is pitched a sixth below the bass clarinet. Here is a link to a photo of what a Selmer Eb Contrabass clarinet looks like:

Perhaps we can extend the range in an update or sample the BBb contrabass clarinet.

Gary Garritan

Please do! (Any chance of adding a Hecklephone while you\'re at it?)

Go Back to forum