• Register
  • Help

Topic: Will GOS work with Halion?

Share/Bookmark

Will GOS work with Halion?

Can anyone tell me if GOS will load with Halion and does it work well?

Re: Will GOS work with Halion?

Originally posted by Jaibulu:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I own GOS and I can assure you that it works very well indeed in Halion. I recommend using the latest public beta version.
    I have tweaked the release samples on my version. Rather than use the \'decay\' function I prefer to use the \'current amplitude\' setting which adjusts the release sample gain to the level of the note on. Far, far more potential in that mode that in regular decay mode.

Feel free to ask about any specific issues that may concern you.

Pink

Thanks, I assume it will also work with Kompakt. Any experience with Kompakt and GOS?

Sorry I mean Kontakt

Originally posted by pinkcanary:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Jaibulu:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I own GOS and I can assure you that it works very well indeed in Halion. I recommend using the latest public beta version.
    I have tweaked the release samples on my version. Rather than use the \'decay\' function I prefer to use the \'current amplitude\' setting which adjusts the release sample gain to the level of the note on. Far, far more potential in that mode that in regular decay mode.

Feel free to ask about any specific issues that may concern you.

Pink
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Pink - It seems many users think GOS needs a bit of EQ as a starting place. Do you have a preferred EQ recipe that you would share?

Originally posted by Tarkio Road:
    Pink - It seems many users think GOS needs a bit of EQ as a starting place. Do you have a preferred EQ recipe that you would share? [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hmm...it\'s a bit like real estate really. \"Location, Location, Location\".
    Except here it\'s \"Context, Context, Context.\"

Broadly speaking, you\'re either gonna brighten something up, darken something down or suck the midrange out of it. All depends on where it\'s being used and what it\'s competing against.

@ Jabilu: I can only tell you about the Halion import as that\'s my particular platform. And I can tell you that it works very well.

Rather than EQ the strings, I\'ve come to love a processor from Voxengo called \'Soniformer\'. If used judiciously, it often can slightly alter the tone of string parts with a more natural sound than EQ alone. Try it.

Btw, I\'ve been around live string sections in various enviroments over the years, and by their very nature they have a \'strident\' sound, save for when they are played sordino. This is much more evident in the violins and violas.

Many fine classical recordings are the result of much experimentation with mics and position of mics, using the recording enviroment to augment the desired string tone. Too bad these same tricks can\'t be applied after the fact in samples!

There has been considerable discussion on the Halion forum about using GOS in Halion. A few months back Pinkcanary posted a tutorial on how to get GOS and particularly MaestroTools working with Halion. This tutorial has been very helpful and I think Pink for sharing it:

Originally posted by pinkcanary:
    Maestro Tools is a PC midi application which is supplied with the Garritan Orchestral Strings library. It is an alternator and a layering device which allows the user to automatically switch between two sets of samples on every new key press. In this way, the user can play up and down strokes without the need to program keyswitches between each note.
    Maestro Tools intercepts the midi input and outputs the correct alternation for the GOS library.

For users working with slave computers the setup procedure is exactly the same as it would be for Gigastudio users.[/b] That is, one makes midi connections between master and slave machines. But for single CPU users of Halion a simple routing procedure must be employed to get the midi from a sequencer track into Maestro Tools and then into Halion.

The trick for Halion users on Cubase sequencers is to intercept the midi between the sequencer track and Halion and route it via Maestro Tools.

Owners of GOS will already be familiar with the basic functionality of MT.

Here is the setup for routing one SX track to MT port 1 and then back into Halion,

1. Create an SX track. This will be your recording track. The input should come from your keyboard, as normal. You must not use ALL MIDI INPUTS. Use the port specifically connected to your keyboard. Not doing this could cause a Midi feedback loop.

2. Set the track to the midi channel which corresponds to the Halion channel you will ultimately wish to address. For example, if you wish to hit an alternating violin program on channel 5 of Halion, set this recording track to channel 5.

3. Don\'t send the recording track directly to Halion. Send it to Marble Midi Out Port 1.

4. In MT enable channel 5 of Port 1.

5. Now create a second SX midi track and set the output to Halion. This is your monitoring track. All midi from Port 1 of MT will return here. You do not record into this track, it is only for monitoring the output of MT and routing it to Halion - so enable the yellow Monitor button. Not the record button.

6. Set the input of this track to Marble Midi In Port 1 and the midi channel to \'Any\'.
    By setting \'Any\' all Maestro Tools channels for MT Port 1 will appear at this one track. That means that you don\'t have to worry about creating any further Marble Midi In tracks for the 16 channels available on Port 1 of Maestro Tools.

7. Play. You\'re in business!

You can create further midi tracks and simply by routing them to Marble Midi Out Port 1 they will appear at the monitor track. If you exhaust all 16 channels of that port create a second \'monitor\' track following steps 5 and 6 but substitute Marble Midi In Port 2 and make your recording tracks address Marble Midi Out Port 2. And so on......

If you are using all 4 MT ports you may find it useful to place the 4 monitor tracks into a folder where the midi thru can be activated with one click.

All other details about Maestro Tools use are in your GOS manual.

The same methodolgy can be applied to other libraries which use similar articulation devices.

Pink

Click here for Timkiel\'s pictorials on this subject. Thanks Tim!

B]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

There have been some other helpful things for Halion users.

Suntower has programmed an MFX Plug-In called Halionator is which mimics the Alternator in Maestro Tools.

Brian Gray has also programed a Cubase SX template for GOS. I\'ll post these after NAMM on the GOS site.

Gary Garritan
    www.garritan.com

Go Back to forum