• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A really stupid demo

Re: A really stupid demo

Some of the strings could use shorter bow strikes, but overall it\'s quite convincing. I found the mix to be a bit bright overall - tired ears, maybe? I\'m a big advocate of Ozone - I\'m always bringing up the 6dB chart to map my mixes, and almost always find that I\'ve mixed too bright -- and almost always find the mix has improved once I reign it in closer to that benchmark.

I think if you put this in front of a good group of live players, you\'d find the woodwinds loving you... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] that basson part is a killer.

Houston - could you elaborate on your reference to the 6db chart? How do you use to judge the relative brightness (volume above 2k maybe?)

Great job! Definitely give that \"Clown\" feeling.

-- Martin

Orcas Island

I really enjoyed \"Riding in a clown car\" (don\'t know why you titled your post \"A really stupid demo\", it\'s really quite clever). It has lots of energy, feels like I\'m riding in a clown car, and it\'s a refreshing use of GPO. If it\'s okay with you, I would like to post it on the GPO demo page.

Gary Garritan

Originally posted by Headcheese:
    Houston - could you elaborate on your reference to the 6db chart? How do you use to judge the relative brightness (volume above 2k maybe?)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Go to the Paragraphic EQ and select \"Snapshots\" and then check \"6dB Guide\" and then click \"Snapshots\" again

Also - Ozone 3 will also do matching EQ, so if you are crafty, you can pick off a tune from CD and run it through Ozone and snag the spectrum of your favorite tune and you can use it as a benchmark. This doesn\'t apply to your particular situation - being that you wrote a really good original tune, but if you had something that it was modeled on (such as matching orchestration), you could use it in that context and get really close to the overall \"sheen\" of a reference mix. Cool stuff. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

iZotope has a pre-mastering PDF to explain how the 6dB guide is used. It\'s downloadable from their web site.

Keep \'em comin\'

double post

I too am a big fan of Ozone (haven\'t upgraded to 3 yet, I\'m guessing my PC is too slow now with all the extra processing, but 2 works for me!) I\'ve spent hours on it creating my own presets, but..I also am an equally big fan of the Soniformer from Voxengo. If any of you haven\'t tried it, I suggest you get the demo and try it.

It\'s even good for using after Ozone! I find you can really get \"that sheen\" on the strings particularily. It must be used judiciously however or you\'ll flatten your mix (I believe it was not intended that you would use it that way, but as I do for a SUBTLE tweak).

Gary - feel free to post it. I titled the post a stupid demo because it really didn\'t start as a song - but as an exercise to see what the sounds could do - and by the time I finished it my entire family had it stuck in their heads - not in a good way. having two teenage daughters waltzing around imitating this thing can be pretty irritating. So I guess I was a little mad at it!
    Thanks for the OZOne tips guys... I like! and I will try the voxengo thingy too.

A really stupid demo

I created this using GPO only for samples. I wanted to experiment with what the samples could do and this \"piece\" is the result. It was created using Sonar 3 on a 2.4ghz athlon system which is limited to 768mb ram. And I pretty much used the RAM up.
    instruments include: percussion combo, toys, 1st violin section sus, shortbows, and pizz, same for viola and cello, bass sus, bass clarinet, contrabassoon and bassoon ensemble, clarinet ensemble, oboe, ensemble, flute solo and ensemble, english horn small ens, trumpet ensemble, french horn ensemble,I think a solo strad violin, and Trombone ensemble, I pretty much filled five instances of the kontakt player. I used SIR impulse reverb with a lexicon concert hall impulse and threw on a bit of EQ - I also did a very very quick master of the result using Ozone (like 5 minute tweak of a preset)
    Anyway - check it out and let me know what you think - and by the way - I am an experienced sonar user - but when it comes to orchestral samples and arranging I am totally green.Riding in a clown car

UK- teeming with life....

I\'m impressed HEAD. It almost sounds like what Prokofiev might have written if he was an American!....Very ingenious!

Too much reverb for my taste.... however very fresh and bright too. I don\'t think I\'ve heard GPO sparkle like this before. I\'d be interested in your exact process of setting up and mixing your reverbs and equalistion......if you don\'t mind parting with your trade secrets! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I\'ll say it again....the final result is sparkling!

I also like the driving \'baseline riff\'. All in all very exciting and uplifting. Sometimes it\'s to your advantage not to be too overtrained and to be a bit green.....at least you break out of the mould and try things more knowledgeable types wouldn\'t! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It\'s great not to be to constrained by too much knowledge. \'A little learning can be dangerous\'...but sometimes so can too much!

I keep meaning to start a thread re MP3s. I find that about half of those I download appear to sound as if the input section of my audio system is overloaded. This is one where I\'m also getting distortion unfortunately and I\'m not sure if the distortion is recorded in at the MP3s creator end or whether it\'s my system that\'s at fault. Anyone else have any distortion with this particular one?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast