• Register
  • Help

Topic: Solo Cello NV

Share/Bookmark

Solo Cello NV

I\'m enjoying discovering the possibilities of this wonderful tool - thanks Gary!

First request (actually second, if you count the MWheel-sets-volume-to-zero-in-down-position):

It\'s nice to have 3 different-sounding solo cellos, but it would be even better if one of them did not have vibrato.

That\'s it for now!

Re: Solo Cello NV

It would have been/would be nice if there were some NV patches overall in GPO. That was kindof a suprise if you ask me - I figured of the articulations to be dropped, NV would not be one of them - but what do I know?

J-

I\'m guessing NV samples were dropped because in looped solo instruments it really does not work and is VERY difficult to pull off---the tone just sits there. Very dead and lifeless sounding.

This is probably one advantage to the large/expensive (I\'m not \'gonna say BIG anymore!!) libraries as they offer very long unlooped solo instruments, but at the expense of ram and computer resources!

GPO is the result of making the best compromise IMO (though it might be feasible to provide NV samples with clever programming to hide the stagnant tone).

You can always add a bit of life by using controllers within sustained notes.

The problem with vibrato recorded into an unlooped sample is that I suspect it will never start when you want it to suit the piece?

Is the way around this to record each note and velocity with the vibrato starting at various times. That would be a pain to use I imagine.

Do I misunderstand this?

Frank

Originally posted by J. Whaley:
    It would have been/would be nice if there were some NV patches overall in GPO
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">There are, J. They are in the woodwinds category.

Originally posted by Hardy Heern:
    You can always add a bit of life by using controllers within sustained notes.

The problem with vibrato recorded into an unlooped sample is that I suspect it will never start when you want it to suit the piece?

Is the way around this to record each note and velocity with the vibrato starting at various times. That would be a pain to use I imagine.

Do I misunderstand this?

Frank
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I don\'t own VSL or EWQL so I can\'t comment on what they offer in terms of vibrato samples, but my choice would be for the vibrato to be fake, created by the use of an LFO, just like the \'old\' days. Sure, it doesn\'t sound as realistic, but at least you can have complete control over when it starts and ends, and how it evolves (speed up/down, stronger/weaker, etc). Perhaps this kind of thing is only available to Kontakt users of GPO?

I don\'t have GPO, but I\'ve listened to many of the demos. I wonder how the Cellofan cello would sound layered in with the GPO cello samples.

(Cellofan is a free and therefor somewhat limited, but useful vsti from SoundKeys Magazine using good cello samples at one velocity. Gives you control over Attack and Release. It, too, uses vibrato to mask the loops, but the vibrato rate and start point is different from of the GPO samples, so it might be useful.)

http://www.soundkeysmag.com/download/Soft/Cellofan/Cellofan.zip

Does anyone know of any other orchestral instruments out there as VSTI\'s?

Just to clarify: you probably won\'t want to use Cellofan as a solo intrument, except for a brief run. I\'m just suggesting it as something to mix with the other celli to add variety to the sound.

Ned says-
    I don\'t own VSL or EWQL so I can\'t comment on what they offer in terms of vibrato samples, but my choice would be for the vibrato to be fake, created by the use of an LFO, just like the \'old\' days. Sure, it doesn\'t sound as realistic, but at least you can have complete control over when it starts and ends, and how it evolves (speed up/down, stronger/weaker, etc). Perhaps this kind of thing is only available to Kontakt users of GPO?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks Ned,

I\'m embarrassed to say that I have both GPO and the full Kontakt but haven\'t got them running yet even though I\'ve had a long Christmas break....Grrrr!

I really ought to be able to give you an answer on the latter part of your question and perhaps I might be even able to answer my own question when I get Kontakt running and get some of the Giga Samples I have been saving up into Kontakt!

Regards

Frank

Go Back to forum