• Register
  • Help

Topic: Section playing how many notes?

Section playing how many notes?

Hi everybody

I wonder .. How many different notes can for example violins section 1 play at the same time? The polyphony standard is 32.. but if there are only 12 players..??

How shall i think when i build up an orchestral piece? If i would want to do .. uh, simple .. a chord in A with strings, should i use cellos for A, Violins 1 -> C and Violins 2 -> E?

Can Violins 1 do all of this (in real life, how its usually done), playing A, C and E at the same time?

To make it simple, does each section use the identical notes?

Re: Section playing how many notes?

You\'ll usually find that most writers spread the notes over different sections. Think of each section playing a line of single notes ...

You might want to consider getting a book on orchestration, or ordering a score for the type of music you are interested in (e.g. Amazon.com). Then you can see at a glance how a pro does it.

Great idea! Thats what I am going to do. Does anyone have a link to a professional orechstral score? I really need to learn how to arrange my orchestral tracks!!

Run a google search on \"public domain scores\". There is a wealth of free material out there, some of it quite high quality.

Chandler, Arizona

There is another thread on the main sample library forum with many links to free sites: http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=006801

Another source for scores are the Dover versions which are quite reasonable in price.

Go Back to forum