• Register
  • Help

Topic: Does GPO come with demos or guidelines?

Share/Bookmark

Does GPO come with demos or guidelines?

I am a traditional composer using pen to paper. I was wondering if GPO comes with a demo or a detail explanation on how to work with the samples and how to properly sequence them? When I sequence a vioin part from an orchestral score do I have to make duplicates of the same part for different articulations or is there a way to change articulations in one midi channel for each part? Can\'t wait to get my GPO, just need some more detail first.

Thanks

Re: Does GPO come with demos or guidelines?

Well, after reading through the manual briefly, I\'d say that there are some explanation done of how to work with the library, but not that much. Enough to get You started I think...

On the GPO site they mention examples of MIDI files and other goodies comming, so I guess there will be some more help available in the future?

Regards,
    Rico

I would like a better step-by-step about recording GPO with the included Cubasis program, especially in regards to getting what you recorded in terms of volume to be recorded into the program, and editing the controllers, etc. (Per my comments in the recent \'volume\' thread.) The GPO manual only mentions to refer to the Cubasis help, and that really doesn\'t explain some things well at all. Following along with the tutorial was useful for getting things going, but beyond that some things just aren\'t clarified well at all, at least to the point where I can find what I\'m looking for. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

GPO is not a piece of courseware for how to go from pen and paper to MIDI orchestration. However, it\'s probably the first to stomp that learning curve to a very low incline. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I\'m sure that some \"power users\" will at some point provide 101-level walk-throughs to give newbies a leg up. I\'m currently working on a CD-ROM based tutorial for the sofware synthesizer \"Xphraze\". Depending on how that goes, I might ask the folks at Garritan if they\'d be interested in having me do something of the like for GPO - if they don\'t already have something in the works.

The good news is that they have a tantalizing new menu item in Geniesoft\'s Overture SE software that lists templates and *looks* like a close integration with the standalone or perhaps even Garritan\'s new host software (mentioned in passing on several threads here but not any detail available on that piece yet). That could put you *VERY* close to your comfort zone and simply allow you to enter notes and dynamics on a score and hearing the sound through GPO. I\'ve not worked with Oversture that mush, as I\'m a sequencer hound, but it looks like a pretty cool prospect to me. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Gary has been quite busy getting ready for NAMM and shipping out a large quantity of libraries. So he hasn\'t had time to do updates to the website.

Hopefully in the next month or so he\'ll be able to add a FAQ section for the most common problems encountered. There are plans for tutorials and sample MIDI files.

Meanwhile, there are quite a few posts on this forum with tips on how to use the library. Get a good orchestration book such as the Adler book and check out a few scores. There are resources for free scores in this thread: http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=006801. I personally have quite a few Dover books plus some of the John Williams Signature Edition scores.

Try sequencing a score or two to learn GPO. I usually break up the string articulations to separate tracks. Normally I have 3-4 tracks per section - about 15 to 20 tracks just for strings. Most of the other instruments only need 1 track per player. Build the score up from the bottom doing the strings first. The strings are usually the foundation for all pieces.

Originally posted by Haydn:
    some of the John Williams Signature Edition scores.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Haydn, thanks for the great tips.

Are these John Williams scores you referred to full orchestral scores? Where would I find these? I love JW\'s music but I\'ve only found piano versions thus far, it would be awesome to see a full score.

Regards,
    Looper

Originally posted by Shazbot:
    I would like a better step-by-step about recording GPO with the included Cubasis program...,
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">A thoughtful GPO user has developed and hosted a tutorial using Cubasis and GPO. He did a fantastic job. Here\'s the URL:

http://www.wallinder.info/infinity/tutorial1.html

Thanks Fredrik for doing this and sharing your tutorial with us.

Gary Garritan

Yes, the John Williams are full scores. Check out www.truespec.com which has most of the them. Warning, they are a little pricey but are very nice.

Go Back to forum