• Register
  • Help

Topic: It's here ....

Share/Bookmark

It\'s here ....

Hi all,

My GPO has arrived this morning!! I\'m now off to pick up a PowerMac G4 dual 1.25 Ghz to run it on. If anyone has any comments about this machine before I finally commit to it, I would be grateful to hear them!

The only problem is I am away in Scotland for the next few days, so will not be able to play with all these new toys! The cruelty of life...

Have a good weekend all.

Ozvaldo

Re: It\'s here ....

Have you considered the G5 rather than the G4 ? Over time, it might prove to be a better choice. I understand especially for music it\'s a big step up from the G4.

Get the G5!

Its always best to get the most computer at any time because it is ALWAYS out of date in 18 months.

Buy a G4 and you\'ve lost 18 months already.

Get the G5.

Man, I don\'t want to start a PC v. Mac war (once again) -- and maybe it\'s my imagination, but GPO seems to run better on PCs. Besides, you can build yourself a killer and rock solid PC for about $700. Save you a BUNDLE of money.

My two cents. I\'m just trying to save you money and headache -- NOT start another comp war. So, please, let\'s not go there.

If its GPO only, I\'m with Rob. Go PC.

Seems like P4 2.4G with 1G (whoops)(how long have I been using computers?) ram will do the trick.

One more thing.

The rule is; Find the software you need THEN buy the computer you need.

Its about the software, not the hardware. (And save $2,000)

Originally posted by rJames:
    If its GPO only, I\'m with Rob. Go PC.

Seems like P4 2.4G with 1M ram will do the trick.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Lol .. 1Mb of ram?? You must be using very expensive compressors then .. =)

You can build a pretty powerful PC with 2 GB of memory for under $1,000. Just built a 2.8 GHz system with 2 GB of memory, 120 and 160 GB Serial ATA hard drives. I bought a case without power supply for $24 (Evercase). Put in a Nexus power supply, Zalman CPU cooling fan plus a quiet video card. You can barely hear this thing running.

Originally posted by Ozvaldo:

I\'m now off to pick up a PowerMac G4 dual 1.25 Ghz to run it on. If anyone has any comments about this machine before I finally commit to it, I would be grateful to hear them!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi. This is the machine I\'ve been using since they were first released about a year ago. Overall I\'m very satisfied. Initially the fan noise was a problem, but if you get a v2 MMD or a V1 MDD with the power supply replacement, the noise is acceptable in my opinion.

I\'m running GPO through Cubase SX 2. Other than a Cubase graphics glitch yet to be patched in Panther, its been rock solid and plenty powerful enough for my explorations.

My recommendation would be to take the Dual 1.25 G4 over the two released single G5s. If you can afford either of the Dual G5s, the performace over the Dual G4 is said to be significant.

The best time to buy a new computer is when you need one. That said... if I were in your shoes, I would wait it out a few more weeks. The G5s were released about six months ago and are due for a refresh. I would anticipate this by the end of January. If you can hold out a couple more weeks, you can either get one of the new machines, or the prices on the current dual G5s will drop, meaning more bang for your buck. Just some food for thought.

No matter what you get, GPO is a blast. Enjoy!

Paul

Go Back to forum