• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sonar3 Producer or Cubase2 SX for Orchestral Work?

Share/Bookmark

Sonar3 Producer or Cubase2 SX for Orchestral Work?

I\'m shopping for the best sequencer/DAW for my laptop (P4, 2.8GHz). In the studio I run DP4 on a Mac, I have Logic 5.5 on the PC, but find it klugey, and the separate windows for midi note and controller editing are a deal breaker with Logic.

So, I\'m looking seriously at Cubase SX and Sonar3 Producer. I think there are users of both in our little forum. I\'d appreciate any advice.

Trond

Re: Sonar3 Producer or Cubase2 SX for Orchestral Work?

Originally posted by dnortana:

So, I\'m looking seriously at Cubase SX and Sonar3 Producer. I think there are users of both in our little forum. I\'d appreciate any advice.
    Trond
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Can only speak for SONAR 3 on a Dell latitude w/ Windows XP Pro with only 256 MB Ram. I typically start midi compositions on this machine then transfer to my desktop DAW for serious sample and audio enhancement. Edirol Orch runs very well on this setup. I haven\'t installed GPO on this laptop but SONAR runs very smooth and has become a very powerful sequencer with a ton of new features.

Hope that helps,
    Toby

Cuabse SX/SL 2.0 has a lot of nice features like freeze and tempo/time-warp (I\'ve been waiting for a developer to do these things for over 5 years now! I used to be a huge Logic user, but I\'m slowly shifting towards Cubase, especially since I\'m on PC. The SL version is less money, mainly because it lacks multichannel (5.1) support. I believe they have a demo of Cubase on the Steinberg.net site.

I\'ve been using Sonar 3 for awhile now and it is quite memory and CPU efficient. It also has a freeze function although it has a different name. I find it works excellent for orchestral type work but I\'ve been using for quite awhile. Sonar 3 Producer comes with a Lexicon reverb, has some nice mastering tools and the busses are very flexible.

I use Sonar and think it can\'t be beat for midi manipulations. There is so much with all the CALs available and even from right inside the program.

I\'ve been a Cakewalk user for ten years. I got into it after KCS Omega on the old Atari.

Many people like Cubase so I imagine several people will tell you just the same about that.

These are useful comments. It seems, though, that either gets good marks, depending on which you happen to be familiar with.

What about intelligent Midi search functions. For example, on a given track, you want to find specific midi events - like all c#2 note events? Or, all pitch bend events with a non-zero value? Will both search intelligently?

How about cut and paste. On a given track, I want to select measures 9 through 16, cut, and paste to a different track? Easily done?

Thanks,
    Trond

Hi Trond ,

\"What about intelligent Midi search functions. For example, on a given track, you want to find specific midi events - like all c#2 note events? \"

Don\'t know about Sonar but with Cubase SX2
    you select the note that you wish to find all others of the same pitch then just do a right mouse click , this will bring up a tool box and menu , goto \'Select\' and there you can click
    on \'Equal pitch - all Octaves\' or \'Equal pitch - same Octave\' , job done [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

\"Or, all pitch bend events with a non-zero value? Will both search intelligently? \"

For this you goto the \'Key editor\' this represents
    all notes on a graph that has a vertical keyboard
    up the left hand side that indicates the note pitch on the graph .
    Below the graph is the controller panel and at the
    top left corner of this just below the keyboard
    is a small box with the name of the currently
    displayed controller eg velocity, pitchbend etc,
    if you click on this you get a pop-up menu that
    has a list of all controllers whichever you select
    here will then be displayed .
    You can also have multiple controller lanes displayed @ the same time .

For pitch bend there is a line that goes down
    the middle of the controller lane , all bend up
    events will be displayed above this line and all
    bend down events will be below the line .
    Obviously all controller evens are in line with
    the respective notes on the graph.

\"How about cut and paste. On a given track, I want to select measures 9 through 16, cut, and paste to a different track? Easily done? \"

= Very easy ........ select the track
    you wish to cut, and paste , right mouse click
    and choose the scissors tool and and the mouse
    curser will change to a pair of scissors ,
    click the track where you wish to cut and it
    will be cut .
    Right click again and select the arrow tool
    (normal mouse curser) click on the cut part
    and drag and drop it to the location of your
    choice in another track , or if you hold down
    the \'Alt\' key you can drag and drop a copy
    of the cut part to a new track leaving the original in place .

BTW Trond I just came across this , don\'t know
    if it\'s any good to you ..... >>>
    http://www.arbitermt.co.uk/steinberg/news_tradeinoffer0703.htm

Thanks for the inputs, guys. I think I\'ve decided to go with Cubase SX ... Back to my roots, so to speak. I started with Midi sequencing on the original Steinberg Pro 24 sequencer (Atari 64). [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Trond

Trond,

I was a ST Pro 24 user too (and even Dr.T\'s on a C64 before that!). I became so used to Steinberg\'s way of working that Cakewalk nor Logic ever made any sense to me. So I\'m a Cubase user. To be fair, Sonar has closed the gap that existed at one time, and it does compete at most levels to Cubase from what users tell me, but if you are an old Pro 24 user, you will sense the same logic flow in Cubase, and GPO as a VSTi works great.

Enjoy!

Go Back to forum