• Register
  • Help

Topic: Quantization noise at pp

Share/Bookmark

Quantization noise at pp

Hi all,

I\'ve just started to use GPO and I have to say that I\'m amazed by its possibilities. It sounds even beter when you play it yourself! Good work GPO team [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .

Now to the point. I\'m working on a cue which begins with a extremely soft strings passage (ppp). This forces me to use the mod wheel at very low levels, and at this range (below 15 or so), changes in volume are becoming audible and you can notice it changes in fixed steps.

As mod wheel controls not only volume but timbre changes, I\'m a bit confused about how to solve this problem. I have seen in the demos (the Clarinet Concert in particular) that strings can be successfully used in this context. How do you overcome this issue?

Thank you very much in advance.

Re: Quantization noise at pp

GPO responds to CC7 (Volume) changes. You will need to enable it in Options. You can use CC7 to set general volume and then use CC1 (Modulation) for expression.

I\'m using the lush string sections. The passage in particular is the begining of the IX Enigma Variation by Elgar. It has an enormous dynamic range, so I chose that as an exercise to learn how to set the levels correctly with GPO.

Another question. Do you typically maintain the default levels that comes with each patch? I noticed they are calibrated to get a balanced orchestra, but it seemed to me that they where a bit low. Anyway I was not using the Main Volume cc at all so it is probably my fault.

I find that the default levels work quite well inside Sonar. Usually I have to pull the levels back on the audio channels when mixing down to a stereo track as they usually clip. Remember that the levels will get higher and higher as you add more instruments.

\"..Remember that the levels will get higher and higher as you add more instruments..\"

YES! this is exactly why I appreciated having the preset levels as lower. It works much better in Sonar. Sonar seems to clip easily for some reason.

CC7 plus CC1 is the way to go. That being said - I *don\'t* get controller zipper noise at very low modulation settings in section strings. Which instruments are you using?

OK, thanks guys!

Go Back to forum