• Register
  • Help

Topic: Experiences with Sonar 3.1 update

Share/Bookmark

Experiences with Sonar 3.1 update

Hi

I just want to get some info as I am building a system for a client with GPO added later. As far as driver updates for Sonar, is the 3.1 update stable, and are you satisfied with this update?

I wish to get some real user experiences on this.

Thanks

Dave

Re: Experiences with Sonar 3.1 update

Dave,

Good morning from way, way, way up north of you. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I just used 3.1 (Producer) extensively over two nights, and I had no problems.

It\'s not so much a driver update as they fixed a few bugs and added a feature or two (Hyper-Threading support being prime for the Intel users).

It works splendidly.
    O.

Dave,

I have always used Sonar for all of my scoring with Giga and Kontakt. The 3.1b update is working fine for me..

Alan Russell

Thanks for confirming this guys!

Dave

I\'ve had no problems with the Sonar 3.1b update. I used it for about 6 hours on Sunday. Some people have though. Check out the Cakewalk web forum.

- Martin

The Sonar 3.1 update works fine but I\'m unable to use the hyper-threading with GPO and Kontakt. My CPU performance (P4 2.8c processor) was actually worse with the hyper-threading engine enabled. I was getting pops and clicks from GPO and QLSO Silver. DFD was disabled in Kontakt and the Kompakt player. I was running 2 instances of GPO, 1 instance of QLSO Silver and 4 instances of Kontakt. CPU usage was between 20-32% with hyper-threading enabled and the sequence stopped. Without hyper-threading is was at 17-23%. This appears to be a common problem with NI users and Sonar 3.1 per the Cakewalk web forum.

NI really needs to get its act together and start supporting hyperthreading in its players. I\'m running with hyperthreading off in Sonar with hyperthreading still enabled in the BIOS. Everything works fine with very minor latency. I have not had any other issues with the 3.1 update.

Originally posted by O Boy:
    It\'s not so much a driver update as they fixed a few bugs and added a feature or two (Hyper-Threading support being prime for the Intel users).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Or dual CPU Athlons [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Actually, some people are reporting problems with HT. From some of the comments from the Cakewalk employees, it sounds as though they focused more of their testing on true two-cpu systems. Everybody in that camp seems very happy.

My guess is the HT problems are related to other factors, i.e. soundcard drivers, VSTIs, etc., as it seems to work fine for some folks but not others.

Originally posted by Haydn:
    The Sonar 3.1 update works fine but I\'m unable to use the hyper-threading with GPO and Kontakt. My CPU performance (P4 2.8c processor) was actually worse with the hyper-threading engine enabled. I was getting pops and clicks from GPO and QLSO Silver. DFD was disabled in Kontakt and the Kompakt player. I was running 2 instances of GPO, 1 instance of QLSO Silver and 4 instances of Kontakt. CPU usage was between 20-32% with hyper-threading enabled and the sequence stopped. Without hyper-threading is was at 17-23%. This appears to be a common problem with NI users and Sonar 3.1 per the Cakewalk web forum.

NI really needs to get its act together and start supporting hyperthreading in its players. I\'m running with hyperthreading off in Sonar with hyperthreading still enabled in the BIOS. Everything works fine with very minor latency. I have not had any other issues with the 3.1 update.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Haydn,

I am using a 3.2ghz PIV with an Intel Motherboard..No problems with Hyperthreading on my Sonar Kontakt Machine.

Even the Permance Tools (VSL) beta 2 is finally working for my w/r hyperthreading

Alan Russell

Alan Russell

Go Back to forum