• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Why can't I compose like Aaron Copeland?

Share/Bookmark

Why can\'t I compose like Aaron Copeland?

It\'s just a rhetorical question.

Do you like it?

Parade

Re: Why can\'t I compose like Aaron Copeland?

LMAO at the title of this thread. I ask myself the same thing all the time...

I like your piece, and find it equal to a lot of work that posted here. If you want to get closer to Copland\'s style, grab a score of his and arrange it with your instrumentation. I can tell you that one day with Fanfare for the Common Man taught me worlds about his ability as an arranger that I didn\'t have time to notice as a professional trombonist (I\'ve played it both as 2nd and 3rd trombone). I would love to do \"El Salon Mexico\" or \"Appalachian Spring\", but that will have to wait until I get a few other things off my plate.

You\'re well on your way to getting it down. I\'d like to hear more push-pull dynamics, and more mediant third relation key changes. Another thing: you have a place in the piece that feels like things come to a complete halt and then start up again. Copland does that in many places, but it\'s usually \"jerk\" to a stop and start up again, sometime in a different meter - perhaps to keep the audience guessing and screw up the low brass players that fell asleep while counting rest measures. (Ahem) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] But the thing I hear you do is almost guide the listener to a soft landing before picking it up again. Get snappy! Finally, try more lead/motif development and double a pitched percussion instrument with the \"lead\" solo or section.

Keep \'em coming!

To give you the simple answer - you can\'t compose like Copeland becasue you are NOT Copeland. That being said = there is the chance that your composing could be better. GPO gives you an easy way to practice and improve. Being able to hear your cmpositions is a pretty amazing thing and a powerful learming tool.

To give you the simple answer - you can\'t compose like Copeland becasue you are NOT Copeland. That being said -it could be a good thing - you could wind up being different but better! GPO gives you an easy way to practice and improve. Being able to hear your cmpositions is a pretty amazing thing and a powerful learming tool.

Not to be anal-retentive or anything, but it\'s spelled \"Copland\".

Originally posted by danpowers:
    Not to be anal-retentive or anything, but it\'s spelled \"Copland\".
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">HA! I guess you\'r right - Copeland was the drummer for Sting the rock group Police. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I wonder if it\'s possible to edit the title of a thread. Should be possible...

It seems to be a theme in my posts. I misspelled Francesco in my last post. I added an (h) to make that ch sound that Italian gives you with a (c).

I\'m learning how to spell and compose.

andyt

Maybe a realistic aspiration would be to spell as well as Copland, and compose music as well as Shakespeare.

My question is why can\'t I compose as well as you!

Nice work.

-- Martin

ooo, ouch, Andyt, yea, tho I aspire to yonder pastures of verdant fields, I but am led to eat of the trough whereby the master scatters my gruel. (quoth A. Copland circa 1591)

But seriously, what do you think of the music? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum