• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Questions about GPO

Share/Bookmark

Questions about GPO

Hi!
    I am about to buy one of the Orchestral libraries, but I am torn between the two I have it narrowed down to. GPO is one.

The site says 2G of space is needed. Are the samples compressed in some way to fit all the samples in that space? Or is it really 2G of samples total?

16 or 24 bit?

I am using Pro Tools (have both HD Accel and PT LE systems in my home). I also own Kontakt, have latest ver (1.5.x). Running WIn XP Pro on both systems. Currently, Kontakt suffers from a bug that ALL RTAS by NI suffer from that I have tried, or others I have spoken have tried/own: Only one MIDI channel per instance will appear in the MIDI out selection menu on a MIDI track in Pro Tools (LE and TDM, version 6.x.x, as appropriate per system). While this does not bother me much when using a single patch per instance, and I prefer to have a single instrument per track, I am getting a picture of *needing* more than one channel (or instrument, or patch) to \"use GPO correctly.\" Does the NI player provided with GPO suffer from this as well? Has the update for the player been released yet that allows DFD? (I have this with Kontakt, and use it regularly without issue).

Will GPO \"grow\" over time? Or is it \"stagnant\" in sample content, and simply receive new \"programming\" over time?

In stock? (looking to make my choice and purchase this week [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Does anyone have an example of using GPO in a pop/rock/metal context/mix? I will be using it (primarily) in a large project I am doing, with strong ties to prog-rock/metal, notable influences being Pink FLoyd, Yes, Rush, Queensryche, King Diamond. VOTA and WHite Grand already decided, this is the last major decision to be made (for now!).

FInally, GOS- will similar releases be forthcoming? By that, maybe GOH, GOP, etc? (horns, perc, etc)

Replies greatly appreciated!

(BTW- thx for all the demos. this has helped ALOT with the decision making so far)

Re: Questions about GPO

I can\'t address the RTAS issues as I\'m a SONAR user, but to answer your question regarding how it compares, I would say that if you are looking for a big sweeping filmscore kind of thing that sounds like a 135 piece orchestra, then you may not be real excited by GPO. The very expensive QLSO has that \'Hollywood\' filmscore sound.

The demands of the rock orchestra thing you want to do are about the same as a \'blockbuster\' filmscore.

That\'s not to say you can\'t get a great filmscore out of GPO, but it wasn\'t intended to compete with a $4000 library.

I love GPO because it\'s the only library which sounds so good playing a traditional classical score. This is NOT something that all the libraries can pull off.

There is so much control over the instruments. This is key to GPO\'s unique approach of not providing bunches of articulations, but allowing you to articulate the instruments yourself.

If you like having this kind of control (I sure do!) then you\'ll be happy exploring GPO.

But as I said, if you like something that can pound you with orchestral might like some of these recent filmscores, then you might be happy with GPO coupled with something like the EWQLSO \'Silver\' edition which is priced similarily to GPO and makes a terrific companion to it. I have several very good Giga libraries I use with GPO like the SAM brass, but I\'m still looking forward to the EW Silver.

I don\'t see how you could go wrong buying both, but I would start with GPO so you can get a handle on the way it\'s programmed and while saving for the EW Silver you can be learning it.

Btw, GPO is \'a work in progress\'. It WILL be expanded and may become a monster of orchestral resources. Gary Garritan is very committed to the products he sells, he is very unique in the industry in my experience.

Hi Nikki

Originally posted by nikki-k:

The site says 2G of space is needed. Are the samples compressed in some way to fit all the samples in that space?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The samples aren\'t compressed at all. You\'ll need 2G of space on a hard drive. It also helps to have a large amount of RAM - 512MB is the minimum I\'d recommend, though it\'s possible to use less in a pinch. More is definitely better.

16 or 24 bit?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The samples are 16 bit, dithered from 24 bit source.

Currently, Kontakt suffers from a bug that ALL RTAS by NI suffer from that I have tried, or others I have spoken have tried/own: Only one MIDI channel per instance will appear in the MIDI out selection menu on a MIDI track in Pro Tools (LE and TDM, version 6.x.x, as appropriate per system)... Does the NI player provided with GPO suffer from this as well? Has the update for the player been released yet that allows DFD? (I have this with Kontakt, and use it regularly without issue).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Unfortunately I don\'t have ProTools so I can\'t answer from experience. I would strongly make the guess that the GPO player in RTAS form will behave very similarly to Kontakt in RTAS. If the most up to date version of Kontakt currently has a particular bug, it is likely that GPO (which uses the Kontakt player) also has it.

That said, there will be another solution which will provide an alternative to RTAS for you in a few days - TBA at NAMM. Also, NI is continually fixing bugs both in GPO and in the Kontakt player (upon which GPO has its roots), so if you are at the moment satisfied with NI\'s RTAS offerings, they will all likely improve with time.

Will GPO \"grow\" over time? Or is it \"stagnant\" in sample content, and simply receive new \"programming\" over time?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Gary has plans for a lot of updates and add-ons. You can look toward more features and instruments in the future. There are definitely plans for GPO to grow.

In stock? (looking to make my choice and purchase this week [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">in stock and shipping [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Does anyone have an example of using GPO in a pop/rock/metal context/mix?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I don\'t think there are any existing demos, but I\'ve wanted to hear GPO in this context for a while. It would be great to hear what you create.

FInally, GOS- will similar releases be forthcoming? By that, maybe GOH, GOP, etc? (horns, perc, etc)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The sample material is recorded for more releases like that, and I know Gary has considered it, but I\'m really not the one to answer!

Best wishes-

In testing we found that performance suffered with DFD enabled. This library was written to not need DFD. It is recommended to have 1 GB of memory to get full use of the library however. The programming of this library is top notch and uses many techniques from hardware samplers that were limited in memory.

Originally posted by Jeff Hurchalla:
    That said, there will be another solution which will provide an alternative to RTAS for you in a few days - TBA at NAMM.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I actually have the VST-RTAS wrapper by FXpansion (on beta team [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ). The wrapper actually provides tighter timing/less latency than RTAS native. Is this what you are refering to? If not, I cant wait to hear reports from NAMM (ok, cant wait anyway! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

I have used orchestral instrumentation in songs before, but they never sounded \'good\" to me, mostly due to the quality that was limited by technology previously. The 2 I am narrowed down to now seem to have a realism that should place any blame for a shabby mix squarely, and almost entirely, on me.

WHile the context I will be using the library within will not be the same as what many *rock bands* have done as of late with the \"Symphonic Blah\" thing, I do see using the library in similar ways to what bands like Pink Floyd have done. Solo intruments will be important, but ensembles, I think, will be taking the front seat here. This is where GPO seems to have an edge: Solo strings, as well as the construction of custom ensembles for specific application. I do not see this same felxability (at the same quality level) at this proce point with another library, while still including the rest of an \"entry level\" orchestral library.

I guess the main thing I forsee is grabbing one of the two I am considering, and then augmenting it with specific solo instruments as I find need (and want [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) for. As an example, I could see myself augmenting GPO with GOS, should I choose this route. Or maybe augment with KHSS, simply to add extra flavor. Decisions, decisions!

Thx for the replies so far- no idea how much I appreciate this [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Soon as I get anything done, I\'ll be sure to post here [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

...Is this what you are refering to?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No, the GPO Host is its own thing... TBA.

Hi!
    OK- I did it. Ordered GPO [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

While on the outside this may seem stupid (maybe not?), it is actually the over-all level of attention Garritan seems to provide, the general \"feel\" in this section, the large number of demos, of those demos, the number of user demos (shows user enthusiasm, and that GG is close with his customers).

OK- while writing this, I was interrupted by a call from Gary himself, thanking me for my purchase, and to answer a couple questions. From the airport!!! Awesome is such an understatement... This reassured me that although I am not a \"big hollywood\" composer, or even close to that, I matter.

The demos provided the \"what does it sound like?\" side; this forum, and now the phone call, have reassured me that my purchase comes with a level of customer attention one is quite hard put to find in most other places these days.

Thx again for the replies, GPO should be here Thur or Fri- another GPO user enters (and one with a huge smile, past ear-toear [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Glad to hear about your experience with Gary. He is a top notch individual - singular in the industry in more ways than one.

As an aside - if you want to punch up your mixes, you can\'t go wrong with iZotope\'s Ozone 3 pre-mastering software. You can use it to get everything from the lightest touch to \"slammed to he wall\", a sure-fire way to get orchestral instruments to stand up in a rock mix - and a great way to polish the entire mix to hold together. Check out their demos.

Wow I didn\'t know GPO was shipping so soon, I ordered mine december 1st and will have to wait till the end of month - I guess I shouldnt\'ve ordered from sweetwater....

I have EWQLSO and will obviously continue to use that when I need something that\'s bigger and bites a bit bolder. I\'m doing some rock mixes as well, and am assuming GPO will be a bit more subtle and intimate - which is what I\'m after in this current project.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Here\'s a hint of what\'s to come...something I\'m really looking forward to.

Garritan and Bela D Media - For those wanting voices, I am pleased to announce that we are working on a co-development arrangement with with Francis Belardino of Bela D Media for a choir that matches the value and musicality standard set by GPO. More details will follow.

- Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum