• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO on my new Dual G5...

GPO on my new Dual G5...

Wow, I now GPO on my Dual G5 1.8 and I have a gig of ram right now too. I just need a sequencer and I\'ll be on my way! I\'m going to get Logic as soon as I can and I\'ll be set!

Re: GPO on my new Dual G5...

Hi Jean,

Unless you have a real letch for Logic, I would urge you to look at Digital Performer. While both are fine DAWs I have found Logic to have a somewhat convoluted interface. DP v4.12 is rock solid and I feel has a much more intuitive approach. I’ve been working with MIDI software since 1985 and DP seems to always be my workhorse when the job needs to get done in the most musical and quickest fashion. I’m currently working on a project with 7 instances of Kontakt loaded to the hilt with GPO on a single processor G4. It all works flawlessly.

Stuttgart, Germany

Originally posted by Ned Bouhalassa:
    FWIW, I find DP\'s interface too busy. But that\'s just me... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Not just you and Logic IS a very good sequencer. I just fooled around with DP so nothing solid from me here but I made the move from Cubase to Logic and never regret it.

I\'m a long time DP user, but lately have been shopping for a sequencer to use on my PC. I also own Logic6 Platinum (Mac), and Logic 5.5.1 on PC. I have tried out demos of Sonar3 and Cubase SX as well.

They are all good today, and broadly speaking full-featured, with different strengths and weaknesses, and differing feature sets. I suggest you try out demos, where possible, to see which one suits the way you like to work, and make sure that your final candidate sequencer meets whatever special requirements you might have. In particular, with a library like GPO, you will be doing a lot of intensive work with controller information. Lots of editing, likely. Find the sequencer that does this for you best, if you\'re planning on spending a lot of time with GPO.

As far as I know, there is no DP demo, so the best way to research it would be to find a local user who would be willing to trot it through its paces for you. There\'s a motu-mac forum on yahoogroups where you might be able to connect up. There\'s also a large Logic users group there.

I have my strong opinions about them all, now, but they\'re probably just useful to me alone, so I\'ll keep them to myself. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

consider also future upgrades, as I know logic is more expensive!
    good luck

Logic is absolutely fantastic. I\'ve been using it for close to ten years now, every day for the last 6. Of course DP, Cubase and other sequencers are fine as well, but to suggest that Logic is not a good sequencer is utterly ridiculous. Oh, and it\'s also rock-solid. As for the interface, well it\'s all a question of what you\'re used to, no? FWIW, I find DP\'s interface too busy. But that\'s just me... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum