• Register
  • Help

Topic: controls on the Kontakt player

Share/Bookmark

controls on the Kontakt player

Hi all,

I use SONAR, and I understand that we need to put a CC 1 event at the begininng of each GPO track (or move the mod wheel before recording the first note on each track). Does this mean we should completely ignore the volume control on the Kontakt player? (I\'m already ignoring the mod wheel on Kontakt)

If I set the volume control on the Kontakt player to 0db, and start playing SONAR, it just changes to follow whatever the Mod Wheel, or MIDI volume settings are for the track. The Kontakt pan control seems to work fine though - ie if it\'s set for 80% left it seems to just stay there. (even though the SONAR track is set to play in \"centre\")

Why should the pan control be different than the volume control?

Also, something seems to keep changing my var1 (the one for pitch) control from 0 to 50%. I don\'t know where it\'s coming from - do I need to put something in the track (anyone know the CC# for var1 and var2?) to make sure this resets to 0 all the time?

This is just a little confusing, as it\'s different from most other soft synths. Usually when you make a change on the controls of a soft synth, they just stay that way until you use a controller or an envelope (in SONAR) to change them...

Re: controls on the Kontakt player

John,

The volume knob in the player sets the maximum level for an instrument. That means the maximum level with the mod wheel at full travel. If you activate the cc7 (MIDI volume) and cc10 (MIDI pan) controls on the options page of the player then incoming cc7 data will set the maximum level, overriding the player’s volume knob, thus giving you automated MIDI control of the maximum setting. I recommend that you turn this option on and set levels from your sequencer. Of course, the pan will also be MIDI controlled with this option turned on.

Now, a little info on the “set levels” part of this: Once activated, the incoming cc7 data has two functions in GPO: First, it sets the maximum level of any given instrument relative to any other instruments (to set the general balance of your mix); and, second, to give you “trim” control at the soft end of the spectrum (e.g. if you wished to have an instrument fade out to silence after bringing the mod wheel to its minimum setting you could “draw” the fade to zero using cc7 data – just don’t forget to bring it back up if the instrument has a later entrance!). What cc7 is NOT intended to do is control dynamic, expressive changes in volume within a passage. That’s the job of the mod wheel. The cc7 data should be used at the beginning of the track in a “set, adjust, and forget” manner and rarely used again.

As for the VAR1 problem - which version of Sonar are you using? I had trouble with Sonar ignoring the default settings for assigned MIDI controllers prior to version 3.1 but the latest version seems to be working well on my system (they load properly and stay put until I send MIDI data). This applies to portamento (cc20) as well. This is a problem I have not encountered with other sequencers on my main computer, just Sonar.

VAR1 is cc22. VAR2 is cc24. If your version of Sonar (or just your particular installation) is not interpreting the zero defaults properly you can place zero value cc22 and cc24 data the beginning of the track as a workaround.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for that! How do you find this stuff out? I\'ve RTFM, but it\'s definitely not in -there-...

That explains what I\'m seeing with the volume knob - I do have cc7 and cc10 enabled in options.

I\'m using SONAR 3.1, and something is setting var1 to 50% sometimes. That looks like it might be a \"midway\" (64?) setting for cc22. I\'ll try playing with the 4 \"widgets\" in the track inspector and set them to cc 7,22 and 24 and maybe control them from there (volume and pan are already set up bt default). If that doesn\'t work, I\'ll just put events into the track(s) itself via the event viewer.

I\'ve printed out your post as a guide, and I\'ll go back and get my head around this [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks again,

\"How do you find this stuff out?\"

I cheated - I\'m the one who designed it! I\'m the Chief Programmer for Garritan.

Over the next few months I will be writing some things for the Garritan site that should explain many subjects in detail (along with tutorials and such).

Tom

I cheated - I\'m the one who designed it!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">DOH!
    Over the next few months I will be writing some things for the Garritan site that should explain many subjects in detail (along with tutorials and such).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'ll look forward to that [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

\"..Over the next few months I will be writing some things for the Garritan site that should explain many subjects in detail (along with tutorials and such)..\"

Well I\'d LOVE to read that! You sir are a TERRIFIC programmer for Kontakt. I frankly don\'t see how you pulled off some of the tricks in GPO.

How about a KONTAKT programming guide. I\'d pay good money to have a booklet I could read anywhere (hopefully not in the miniscule type of GPO\'s booklet!).

Kontakt is just such a DEEP sample program.

It would have been better if this stuff was in the actual manual - but then again we were the ones screaming to get GPO before Christmas. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks Tom, You have made this clear for me as well.

Steve

Go Back to forum