• Register
  • Help

Topic: A few humble requests for the next GPO update

Share/Bookmark

A few humble requests for the next GPO update

Hi!

I\'d really like these things adressed in a possible future update. Maybe my wishes exceed the limit for a free update, but I\'d be willing to pay for those new features:

* Saving multis in standalone mode

* An \"Edit all\"-button, so I can change global things for all 8 slots at once

* A 2nd release-trigger patch for the cymbal roll, so you can do swells with the modwheel and when the button is released the cymbal will ring out (right now I have to simulate that with a crash cymbal+ the cymbal roll with release hit) on the last vel. level

* A timpani roll in the vein of the cymbal roll (meaning: adjusting the veliocity with the modwheel)

* Better explanation of the special CC\'s and the corresponding cc-numbers plus the meaning of values (e.g.: Does CC#64=127 mean the sustain pedal is up or depressed?) in the manual

* A warning note in the manual, telling me that var1+ French Horns = evil, since it will make your stuff sound like a highschool band (= quite out of tune... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

Just wanted to put those suggestions up for discussion. Please note that those things would be cool as an addition but right now I\'m nearly totally satisfied with what I got (especially for the incredible price!!).

Re: A few humble requests for the next GPO update

i\'d like to see:

1) aftertouch implementation (for adding vibrato and maybe a subtle increase in volume)

2) the possbility, in kontakt player, to make program change (i know it\'s NI task...): i.e. the possibility to load a series of programs in memory and then recall them by program change messages. this should lead to a better optimisation of computer resources, because normally not all the instruments you load play at once, and, maybe you could avoid to load multi-instances of GPO

3) more variation in the percussions samples (for example more samples for bass drum, cymbals and percussion toys, to give some variation to the performance). why not to add var1 and var2 controls also to the percussion?

4) var1 and var2 commands added also to the strings sections

I, as well, do consider program changes as a very important thing to add.
    I don\'t even understand how N.I did not think of it in the 1st place !

Musicpete,

Normally, I don’t comment on suggestions (I just collect them) but a few of these could use a word or two:

“* A timpani roll in the vein of the cymbal roll (meaning: adjusting the veliocity with the modwheel)”

Interesting, because that\'s one I’d never use – it’s too much fun playing real-time rolls with left and right hands! When I designed the timps I spent most of that evening just playing them - couldn\'t put them down, I was having such a good time and I was able to tailor exactly the type of roll I wanted. But your suggestion goes on the list, especially for people who don\'t have a keyboard.

“* Better explanation of the special CC\'s and the corresponding cc-numbers plus the meaning of values (e.g.: Does CC#64=127 mean the sustain pedal is up or depressed?) in the manual”

Extensive explanations will eventually become available on the web site. A combination of manual/web site is the only efficient way to deal with the large amount of information required for full explanations/demonstrations/tutorials (at least if we want to avoid #2 type in the space-challenged manual!! – my old eyes have trouble reading the tiny print as it is!). Also, I posted this in another thread: Sustain pedal=cc64; 0=up (off), 127=down (on)

“* A warning note in the manual, telling me that var1+ French Horns = evil, since it will make your stuff sound like a highschool band (= quite out of tune... )”

Not just the French horns! Overuse of VAR1 can make the whole orchestra sound like a bad high school orchestra. Some advice in using VAR1: Under most circumstances it should only be applied to specific portions of a passage where it is required to fix a problem – rapidly repeated notes is an example, to help avoid the “machine gun” effect; even more effective if you also draw in VAR2 for the same section. The correct method of data entry is your sequencer’s data drawing tools to place it on the necessary notes only and in the needed amount. Fast ascending or descending runs would be another case where even the best (real, acoustic) players cannot maintain accurate note-to-note pitch during performance on the actual instrument. Drawing some VAR1 (and VAR2) for all notes between the first and last in the run can help simulate this. Rarely would you want to turn VAR1 on for an entire track and if you did you would need to go very easy on the amount – still, not recommended. Be selective.

Tom

How about a GS 3.0 version?

I haven\'t heard anything about copy
    protection in 3.0, but I haven\'t heard
    that it doesn\'t exist either.

My number 1 complaint about GPO is
    that it doesn\'t integrate with my
    Giga libs. I can either work with GPO,
    or with everything else I own. Capturing,
    Rebooting, launching and loading to
    move between sample worlds has proven
    unacceptable. The value of GPO for me
    is really questionable for me because
    of this.

Sure, I could get another PC with tons
    of RAM and a decent soundcard, but that
    blows the budget library theory. Or I
    could buy Kontakt and port all my Giga
    stuff. No thanks.

A GS 3.0 version would solve all of
    this, and I\'d get to place the
    instruments with Giga Pulse to boot. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I can always hope!

I don\'t know if you can afford it, but you could do what I did eventually: just buy Kontakt and port your Giga libraries over to that. It does take more than a bit of programming but Kontakt does a better job at Giga import than my Translator does. You may also find as I did that the very superior filters of Kontakt let you strip off some or even all of the layers from your Giga instruments and that makes for much smoother dynamic changes. This is in fact how GPO does it and I think this technique has proven itself very well.

I had heard a rumor that Tascam was going to make it possible to lock up the samples so developers don\'t get ripped off, but here is Giga 3 and its a no-go. With out that and without NI\'s willingness to aggessively work with the soundware industry to develope an integrated player, Tascam is fumbling with Giga and it just might be R.I.P. for that platform. This industry has gone to the next level without them as they took so long and now have a flooded sampler market and big piracy issues to contend with.

My point is, as much as I really do miss making Giga the center point of my studio anymore, I don\'t want to \'go down with the ship\' so to speak.

I would suggest you give Kontakt a real try. I think you\'ll be surprised at what you can do, and they are apparently near completion of a whole new DFD engine for it.

Hi nexus,

While I apreciate that Kontakt is an option, I have a lot of reasons not to go that route. (Technical reasons - not political or business reasons.) I\'d rather not go into the details, as I\'m not interested in putting energy into a Kontakt/Giga debate. Let\'s just say that it\'s not a solution I\'m interested in.

> Regarding CP: \"but here is Giga 3 and its a no-go\"

Is that confirmed? I haven\'t read a statement either way, though I admit, we probably would have heard something by now if it existed.

Personally, I\'m still hoping that they\'ll put CP in. It gives the developers the choice, and if the users don\'t want CP libs, they can choose not to buy them.

I hope the Giga 3 works out for you. Also all the rest who probably have a heavy investment in Giga libraries.

I understand Kontakt is not for everyone. I just think that the programming is so deep, like I never got out of my Giga. I just don\'t see much to get me excited about it again.

I\'ll tell you one thing I DON\"T like about Kontakt: It\'s GUI is the bloodiest ugly thing I have ever seen! It hurts my eyes to look at it sometimes.

Gigastudio\'s GUI was very elegant and well laid out IMO, and I must say from the photos the new one is VERY nice indeed!

I\'m not sure if Gary plans on ever porting this library over to Giga. Most of the purchasers of this library will have never used Giga. That would be your students and hobbyists. Giga is such a small portion of the market that GPO will cater to. Also, if users wanted to use this library with Giga, then they have the added cost of purchasing Giga 3 as the current Giga 2.5 doesn\'t have the programming features.

Personally, I\'m not too excited about Giga 3 as it means I will have to upgrade to a faster machine. I have Giga on a machine by itself since it doesn\'t seem to behave with my other programs. Kernel mode programming means that it will be very picky on what you load with it.

Another large market for GPO are the Mac users. The Northernsounds forum is pretty heavy PC wise but this is not what you will find with most composers in general. At NAMM, probably at least 2/3 of the demos I gave were to Mac users. Since Giga ignores this large market for integration with a Mac, I see this as being one of Giga\'s downfalls. Most Mac users that have a dedicated PC for GigaStudio will have to buy upgrades for the new Giga.

I like the way GPO integrates right into my sequencer or notation program on one computer without problems. Load up my song and everythings ready to go. The Giga machine usually stays off most of the time unless there\'s a specific sound that I haven\'t converted to Kontakt.

Originally posted by nexus:
    I\'ll tell you one thing I DON\"T like about Kontakt: It\'s GUI is the bloodiest ugly thing I have ever seen! It hurts my eyes to look at it sometimes.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">My friend you just said a mouthful. At least the v1.5 update adds a larger font. I run at 1600 x 1200 resolution, and I was just about going blind with that ridiculous itty-bitty font. It\'s better now, but the guys at NI could really stand to hire an interface designer.

Go Back to forum