• Register
  • Help

Topic: GOS or GPO?

GOS or GPO?

I\'m trying to make a buying decision regarding GOS or GPO. My setup is a ProTools Mix environment where i would like to bring the samples (played via MIDI controler) straight into PT tracks for mixing with live instruments, vocals, etc.

What I’m looking for is excellent orchestral sounds that can be pulled up quickly and played. I don\'t have a sequencer yet, but will in the near future.

I\'m also trying to make a decision regarding Gigastudio (GS3 will be released soon) or Kontakt. I\'m not sure which would work better with ProTools. It seems that Gary may be moving more towards the Kontakt platform than Gigastudio. Thoughts regarding this?

Any advice for a newbie would be GREATLY appreciated.

Re: GOS or GPO?

Know this first: GOS is strings only. GPO is a full-blown orchestra.

As for Kontakt vs. GS3, join the crowd. It\'s my guess that people went with Kontakt for two reasons: it\'s here, and they could license the engine and hook it up with a sample set. Now with GS3 on the horizon, sample library manufacturers might sing a different tune. Looking at GS3\'s specs I can see a TON of expressive possibilities built-in. I know that I probably will wind up upgrading to it in the future.

Also know that GOS is a HUGE strings only library with very detailed unlooped orchestra section samples and effects. GPO is indeed an entire orchestra library, but there is no comparison in the choice of string articulations. I have and use both, but for the most flexibility and realism in \"exposed\" string sections, I use GOS, along with SAM Brass, KH solo Strings, GPO, etc.

But GPO has the most used string articulations and may work fine for your needs. Experienced users have made some great sounding compositions with GPO.

GOS is being programed for Kontakt and it should be quite something to hear.

As for Giga 3, I wouldn\'t expect the sample industry to just move over to that platform. Tascam has blown it by not making it available as a player nor implementing the locking of samples as many people thought they would. That and their long wait has caused the industry to move to the next step without them. The piracy issue is paramount in this business. By ignoring it they landed smack in the middle of the \'sampler wars\'. Like what happened in the late eighties, only a couple of platforms remained. But on top of what happened then, we now have the sample piracy thing.

That problem is just not going to simply go away for Tascam. Giga isn\'t really THAT revolutionary a thing that it opens new vistas in sound development. It still has the plain vanilla filtering and is missing some important features.

The disk streaming was it\'s great strength, but NI is about to unveil a completely new DFD engine.

It still won\'t integrate simply into a sequencer and so it will remain of interest only to pros who are already well tooled for Giga anyway.

I like Giga but I don\'t think I\'m going to \'go down with the ship\' as Tascam bows out of the sampler war in a year or so. After NAMM we\'ll see if Tascam wants to work with developers the way NI has (and agressively too). They seem too slow to implement upgrades, changes and bug fixes and sample companies don\'t want the hassle, frankly.

It\'s too bad really, its a missed opportunity for Tascam and will probably wind up being R.I.P. for the Gigastudio (especially when people see the prices!!)

We\'ll see......

Another issue is that GS3 is PC only. For the convenience of using giga libraries without conversion issues I might have bought GS3 if there was a Mac version available. Also, the lack of integration with hosts is really a huge issue. ReWire is not integration, it\'s an add-on and not very reliable solution. It does work and it does have it\'s advantages, but it\'s not up to the task of the big setups that many users will have and there are host features than does not include ReWire.

The VST2 protocol does not allow some of what\'s included in GS3, which I guess is the reason why Tascam chose ReWire. However, for most users integration with the host of their choice is a lot more important than many of those features, especially since many of these are already available in the host. So what is GS3? A great sampler? Probably with streaming in mind. A great mixer? Probably not compared to many of the sequensers people already use. A great sequenser? No, that\'s where one suddenly has to go elsewhere and do so with the help of MIDI or ReWire, both requiring a lot of patching and special solutions for many scenarios.
    GS3 ends up somewhere in between everything, patched but not made for ease of use. Tascam suggests using two computers, one dedicated to GS. So the user will have to constantly switch between two computers. Ease of use..? Steinberg have already tried this concept with VST System Link and it has been around for some time now. Users? Not many.
    ReWire can only be used on the same computer, thus the scenario of using a dedicated computer for GS is without improvement. Should one chose to use GS on the same computer as the host via ReWire, GS is now a lot more advanced, most likely requiring more processing power than it would have as only a sampler.

GS3 could be a great sampler if Tascam had decided to make it so. They seem to have improved it a lot, but at the same time they have taken the complexity of use even further and have added features that many users already have in their host (and probably prefer to use in that area). At least as far as I can tell by Tascams info. Maybe it\'s easier to use than it seems.
    GS3 will probably be the high end system, used on one or more PCs and controlled by Mac or PC, for those that have really high demands. But both platforms are getting faster every day, and this happens a lot faster than the libraries are getting advanced, in the need of more computer power. In perhaps two years, a top of the line PC or Mac will most likely be able to handle the huge libraries with ease. When this happens, who will then want to invest time in complicated solutions? That will probably not be the time for Tascam to strip GS to be just a good sampler integrated with hosts, and those that have already invested in the complex solutions will probably not like having to rebuild it all again.

Originally posted by DJ:
    What I’m looking for is excellent orchestral sounds that can be pulled up quickly and played. I don\'t have a sequencer yet, but will in the near future.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">In that case I wouldn\'t hesitate to buy GPO. Although not as colorful as the really big libraries or separate big solo instrument libraries, it sounds great and is very easy to use. Cubasis VST (PC) is included, so you can start using it right away.

A well written post Wirebird, and I have to agree with you completely.

The cost factor is not trivial either for many people on this forum, save for a few of the pros who are earning enough to invest in their Giga upgrades and the libraries to go with them.

It\'s the sample piracy angle which will really tear it for Giga 3. I don\'t see it offering enough in terms of programmability and low cost to lure deveoplers back to it at the risk of widespread sample theft, which has gotten out of hand in the last few years.

I do wish NI would hurry their new DFD engine, though.

Go Back to forum