• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Making a Drum gig/ How?????

Share/Bookmark

Making a Drum gig/ How?????

Can sombody please help me with this problem, I have spent about a week on it and am getting nowhere.

I want to create a drum gig file. i have all of the drums converted to wave and in separate folders waiting to be made into a gig file.

In one folder I have all of the kick drum samples, about 5 I think and in another folder i have the snare drum hits (about 8) and so on...

How do I...

(1) get the different drum sounds to different keys

(2) get each different drum sample in a particular group (like kicks) to map into different velocity ranges \"on the same key!!!\"

(3) save the file without getting the dreaded error message \"some regions have not been mapped yet\" ( I have no idea what this means or how to fix it)

I can get the .wav files into the editor but what do I do then? I have not been able to get it make one sound. I have been to some other nemesys forums and this is not a problem I am having alone... alot of people can\'t seem to make it happen.

any help would be great. and I will be sure to pass it on.

thanks
    gigga...

P.S.

John Thomas at the audiozone site said to try bringing up a drum kit that was already a giginstrument and replace the drum of your choice with a new one. but how do get mulitple drums hits to replace and on just one key? Also whenever I did replace a drum with a new sample I got the error message \"Some regions have not been mapped yet\" so i think there is a step or ten that he forgot to mention!!!! Not to be too hard on him Nemesys forgot it alltogether!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Making a Drum gig/ How?????

I can write something up for you tomorrow, as I’ll be snow bound here in the NE US. In the mean time, look at the sections in the Help for GS Edit for “Region Map” and Velocity Map”.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for responding to my plea. I really need the help and will look over the sections you suggested tonight in preparation.

thanks again, and good luck with the snowstorm. It\'s beautiful here in Denver!

Gigga...

OK, here we go…

I’ll give a step by step for an over simplified instrument, but should get you on your way.

Open the Editor and create a new instrument.

Import your samples. I find it easy to drag wav file (or folders of wav files) into the editor from the Windows Explorer. For this example, let’s say you have 4 kick samples, which will now appear in the wav list on the lower left.

Next, we’ll create a single Region. Right click under the keyboard map, and choose “New Region”.

Associating samples (wavs) with that region is less than intuitive. Instead of dragging the wav onto the Region, you drag it onto the Velocity map of that Region. What you see in the Velocity map goes with the currently selected Region. You’ll see the sample name, whether it’s stereo or mono, and any velocity splits. Note that when you create the new Region, one of you samples will be assigned to it. This would seem to be a bug. Note also that Stereo/Mono has to match your samples. If you drag a stereo sample onto a mono Velocity map, nothing will happen (and visa versa). Now that I’ve confused you, let’s go through the steps:

Make sure that stereo/mono is set to match your samples

Click the word “Velocity” over the velocity map.

Since we want 4 layers, choose “2 bits (4 splits)”, and click OK. You’ll now see the 4 layers.

Drag each of your kick samples to the appropriate layer (replacing whatever sample was there when you created the region)

With the mouse, you can drag the boundary between velocity layers. You can also drag the Region to fall on any key you choose.

Hope this helps,
    Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 03-05-2001).]

Bill
    thanks for the instructions it worked liked a champ. I am a little confused as to why the name I gave to the .gig instrument show up as untitled in the gigastudio loaded insrtuments section. Any ideas?

thanks again

gigga...

The reason you\'re getting an \'untitled\' instrument in the loaded pane is that a .gig file is like a folder for (possibly) several instruments.

When you saved the .gig you probably named it - which is like naming a windows folder - but you need to name the instrument you made as well.

Just load the .gig up in the editor, RIGHT click on the instrument\'s name in the instrument bank list (top left square with a white background). Now you\'ll see a handy instrument properties box which includes a naming facility. Name it and save - all fixed!

Bill / chadwick / anyone

How do I keep the the drums from raising in pitch as I add more drums going up the keyboard? I tried to set all of the keys to different key groups but I guess I don\'t understand how Keygroups work.

thanks for any help

gigga...

Gigga,

To keep things from rising in pitch make sure you set the sample in the sample pool (far left) to the correct unity note. In other words if you map a bass drum to D5 on the keyboard next right click that particular bass drum sample and set the unity note to D5. This should fix it.

Donnie

[This message has been edited by donnie (edited 03-06-2001).]

I just have to say I love your name Gigagagga. I think I\'m gonna change mine to DiggaGiggaDaddy.

Giggagaggagogga:

As Donnie says, the drums are trying to follow the keyboard pitch because there is a pitch follow function on.

An alternative to placing them on the correct \'unity key\' (hate that term), is to tell the regions not to follow the pitch of the keyboard. (turn pitch track off)

Handy reference from today\'s newsletter:

Here are a couple of ways to map out a drum kit using the GigaSampler instrument editor:

First, using the Wizard Tool-

1. Open a new instrument in the editor and import your drum samples in one of the following ways:

A. Right-click on the \"Default Sample Group\" folder in the wave pool area of the instrument editor window and select the individual samples or folder of samples. Click OK and the samples will appear in
    the wave pool window.

B. You may also drag and drop individual wave files or folders from Windows Explorer or the desktop onto the \"Default Sample Group\" window in the wave pool area of the editor.

2. Run the Wizard Tool by either clicking on the wizard hat icon on the tool bar or selecting \"Instrument Wizard\"in the \"Edit\" menu. Name the instrument something like \"my drum set\", click the \"Drums\" checkbox, and
    press Next.

3. Set the range of notes to cover the amount of drum samples you have. For example, 60 notes would equal 5 octaves so C1-B5 would be the right amount of notes to map out your samples across this area of the keyboard.

4. Check the \"Ignore unity notes\" box. This will turn off pitch tracking and the unity notes (if there happen to be any) in the drum samples will be ignored. Press Next.

5. If your samples are stereo, check the \"Stereo\" box and press Next. In the following window, move the cursor over the \"Default Sample Group\" (or the Folder you imported if you chose to do that method) and then move the cursor over to the \"0-127\" displayed in the right-hand window of the Wizard dialog box and click again here. To put it more simply, click on a \"group\", then on a \"case\".

6. Click Finish and save the file to play it.

=============================================

Alternate Drag and Drop method-

1. Create a new instrument and import the drum samples into the wave pool. In the \"Region Map\" area under the piano keyboard of the Instrument Editor window, place the cursor below the note that you want to create a region for and right click there.

2. Select \"Create New Region\" and a new region with a note range of one half step will appear. Create as many regions as you have samples in your drum kit. Note that you can drag this region to be under any key in
    the window. You can also extend the playable area for each sample by dragging on either edge of the region to expand it up or down. With unity notes off for non-melodic samples, the pitch and sample will be the same for each of the MIDI notes within the range of this region.

3. If the waves are stereo, the regions need to be changed to stereo. Drag select all the regions in the Region Map and press the \"Stereo/Mono\" button below the \"Velocity Map\". Check \"Stereo\" and check \"Apply to all selected regions\" to set all highlighted regions to stereo.

4. Select the regions one by one and drag the drum samples (using the right mouse button to ignore unity notes) from the wave pool on to the \"Velocity Map\". You will see the Velocity Map change from \"not mapped\" to
    the name of the sample that has been dragged to it. Save the file to play it.

Go Back to forum