• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Demo-The Return Home

New Demo-The Return Home

I like to hear comments on this new piece.

The Return Home

All critiques are welcome.

Re: New Demo-The Return Home

Your composition sounds great. Very expressive. Are all of the samples GPO? Keep up the excellent work.

Yeah, GPO. Hey, I went to your website earlier today. Good music. Are those compositions sampled orchestra?

All of them except \"Meet Bernie\" and \"Time Waits for No One\". Meet Bernie is compiled from a 3 hour (I think) special that NPR did on Bernard Herrmann a while back. It\'s an awesome interview and requires a listen (and half an afternoon!).

Time Waits for No One was made using FM Synthesis. Um, I\'m not quite sure what program I used for that. I think it may have been Sound Forge, but don\'t quote me on that.

Thanks for taking time to check out my site. I will be adding more stuff soon.

Hey rjames.
    That was very pretty. Has a very definite... nostalgic feeling...
    That flute run at the midway mark seemed a little stilted, but other than that very nice programming. Which is not to diminish the composition itself [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

good work man

No one\'s posting a critique. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Well a couple, one of whom I twisted his arm.

Does this mean its bad, neutral, or that I\'ve posted too many songs here?

I\'m trying to get a feel for how I\'m progressing (or stagnating).

Beautiful piece rJames, I really like this one [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by rJames:
    No one\'s posting a critique. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Here\'s some: I think that there are too many crescendos in the composition altogether - meaning that the theme is lost too fast in big gestures. I would have liked it to linger a bit, to build a bit more tension and perhaps also include some more interesting colours in the chords here and there, these are sometimes a bit too nice or \"correct\". Sort of like adding a bit of shade to all the bright lights. Hope I\'m making sense here... some things are hard to describe.
    Also, I miss some dynamics in the strings in the softer passages and I think the panning of sections is a bit too much creating slightly too much separation.

These are just my thoughts and not \"the right way\" to do it, only what I would have done to give it a final touch.

Why that\'s outrageous! How dare you criticize my work like that.

Without criticism, I can\'t improve. So that\'s great.

Thanks, Wirebird. I appreciate the input. I would really like to score something to picture. I think •some• of that color and shading would come from necessity. But I agree with your opinion. As I write, I\'m too close to the forest to see the trees.

And as for dynamics, I think I need to spend some time in an orchestra pit. To learn how the instruments play.

I think you\'re well on the way to a good movie score already, rJames. I\'m not sure I would be able to compose a piece like that and it\'s a lot easier to point out a couple of minor improvements in someone else\'s piece.
    Unfortunately I\'ve had too much work so I haven\'t been able to explore GPO yet, except for some simple pop arrangements.

I have been fortunate enough to be able to work with some of the \"real\" instruments from time to time, and that does help a lot when arranging. But there\'s a lot to learn, and the palette of a full orchestra is huge...

Go Back to forum