• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A feature request and a suggestion

A feature request and a suggestion

In the full version of Kontakt one can reset a value by Command-klicking (Mac) on the knob. This is very useful and would be nice to have included in the GPO Kontakt player as well.

I would also like to humbly suggest adding some space between the sub menu choices in the patch menu. When browsing patches one often end up in the wrong area and has to go back all the way to get into the right one. The reason for this is that the basic Kontakt interface is too small (many have pointed this out) even at rather low resolutions. Changing the interface/font would be a big issue, but adding some space between the sub menu selections would be an easy task (if NI creates their GUIs like most others do).

Just my 2 cents [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: A feature request and a suggestion

I agree. But it’s not just the Kontakt player. It seems as if most software is going in the “Now that computer monitors resolution is so great, let’s see how much info we can cram into as little space as possible.” approach to development. Well we still only have 72 dpi ,and many of us don’t have 20/10 vision. It seems as if they are more interested in the overall slick look of their interface instead of ease of use. When you stare at a computer screen for 10 to 12 hours, those little letters seem to get even smaller. I sometimes resort to the “Zoom in” command on my Mac if I’m doing a lot of work with these tiny menus.

Also, if someone is a little older with a little shaky hand, he/she could have a devil of a time controlling the mouse or trackball in such small confines. A single menu isn’t so bad, but to get to those sub-menus…..

2 more cents and that makes 4, and on and on and maybe things might change.

I use the Zoom command too sometimes. I do a lot of editing in Kontakt, and after a couple of hours of editing my eyes hurt from all the squinting. The main font in Kontakt that is used for menus and buttons is actually only 5 pixels high...

There\'s no need for interfaces to be this small. Most of the time you work with one object and don\'t need access to whatever is behind it. The only advantage of a small interface is that less RAM is required to run it, and initial loading times are slightly faster because the graphics of the interface is the first thing that loads into RAM. Also a larger interface might suffer from jerky animation (if it has such that cover larger areas) because uncompressed bitmaps are used. But we are talking about a couple of MB extra, and for the difference to be noticeable on the systems of today, the interface has to be really big and have large, complex animations.
    However, programmers are often economists in every aspect concerning the code. This is a good thing in most cases except when ergonomics suffer [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I don’t have great vision, on a good day 20/50. About 15 years ago I heard that musician/composers make good programmers. This seemed like a good road for me to follow, since although I was making a living as a musician I was certainly not getting rich. I guess the same kind of logic is needed for both composing music and programming computers. Then I saw the printouts of code used in programming. You needed a microscope to read it.

You know how rock musicians are often deaf by the time they are 50? I wouldn’t be surprised if many programmers are blind by them from reading there own code. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

P.S. to my last post,

Deaf musicians also include those who sit right in front of the brass section.

Originally posted by Karl Garrett:
    Deaf musicians also include those who sit right in front of the brass section.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hey, I resent that! At least we horn players point our bells the other direction. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Sorry I upset you. I meant it more as a joke than anything else. Brass players are the source of too many cruel jokes. It was said on the fly without any thought. I even forgot the smiley.

Heh, it takes a lot more than that to get under my skin! I was hoping my smiley would convey that. Anyway, none of it holds a candle compared to playing in a rock band. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Man are you guys ever right about this topic!! I have failing eyesight anyway, and I\'m sure squinting at the Kontakt interface the last few months has surely contibuted to my need for another eye exam.

NI is notorius for this and seems to have started this trend. All their stuff is for eagle eyes only!

And btw, my dad lost his hearing in one ear from being positioned three feet from the Timps for tens years where he played...!!

A great eye execise I use after eye fatigue sets in

Hold thumb about 2 feet away
    focus on your thumb
    focus on an object beyond your thumb (5 feet or so)
    then back to your thumb
    Back to the object
    Back to your thumb
    Then the final part, smack your right cheek as hard you you can
    Lather, rinse, repeat (2nd time with left cheek)

Go Back to forum