• Register
  • Help

Topic: For Gary: re: new solo violin Library....

Share/Bookmark

For Gary: re: new solo violin Library....

Gary,

Since you are working on a new violin library I thought I\'d throw this out. It\'s probably too late but I\'m wondering if I could send an example to you of what I would like to hear in a solo violin ? The example I have comes off a video which is copyrighted, so my question is, is it legal to send a snippet of it and how long could this snippet be without infringing on the copyright?

Thanks,
    Rick

Re: For Gary: re: new solo violin Library....

I\'m no lawyer, but I\'m quite sure that what you propose falls under fair use:

* You\'re not making money directly from it
    * You are using a small clip
    * You are using it as an example, rather than re-purposing it for your own use

The last point is not unlike a snippet being shown in a film studies class as an example of directorial style.

There was a question before about somebody snipping a scene from a film to use the background as part of their own not-for-profit video. I think that crosses the line as re-purposing. But as a practical matter it was intended only for friends and family members. The risk is their choice.

What you propose is legal and ethical from my non-lawyerly perspective. And if it only goes to Gary it\'s impractical that you\'d ever be challenged by somebody who disagreed.

Re: For Gary: re: new solo violin Library....

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    I\'m no lawyer, but I\'m quite sure that what you propose falls under fair use:

* You\'re not making money directly from it
    * You are using a small clip
    * You are using it as an example, rather than re-purposing it for your own use

The last point is not unlike a snippet being shown in a film studies class as an example of directorial style.

There was a question before about somebody snipping a scene from a film to use the background as part of their own not-for-profit video. I think that crosses the line as re-purposing. But as a practical matter it was intended only for friends and family members. The risk is their choice.

What you propose is legal and ethical from my non-lawyerly perspective. And if it only goes to Gary it\'s impractical that you\'d ever be challenged by somebody who disagreed.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">thanks for your input Jon. If Gary is interested and okay with it, then all he has to do is PM or email me and I will be happy to send it for his evaluation.

Rick

Go Back to forum