• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Any chances of a disk streaming upgrade for GPO?

Share/Bookmark

Any chances of a disk streaming upgrade for GPO?

Title says it all [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Or can everybody run to the store and get more RAM / CPU horsepower / full Kontakt upgrade, whenever feeling like doubling the orchestra size?

Re: Any chances of a disk streaming upgrade for GPO?

1 GB of memory should allow to run most orchestrations except a Stravinsky sized orchestra. We found that disk streaming gave much worse performance. More pops, clicks and lower polyphony.

Sadly this is true of the Kontakt streaming engine. It\'s no Gigastudio that way.

I would like to see DFD implemented better in Kontakt and NI is supposedly about to unveil a new DFD engine. We\'ll see.....

Ram isn\'t THAT cheap,so many can\'t afford to expand much beyong 1 gig. I\'m building a new PC but I can\'t afford more than that.

Huge ram is probably the future of music PCs, I\'m afraid.

The design philosophy was for laptop users to be able to use GPO. Since laptops usually only have 4200 RPM drives versus the 7200 RPM drives in desktops, this really meant memory needed to be used.

Even Giga wouldn\'t run to well on a laptop. Plus I\'ve been getting more than double the polyphony with over twice as many MIDI channels in Kontakt. The cost to run this library on Giga with the same performance on P4-2.4 GHz machine with a Gig would have required 3 machines with 3 licensed versions of Giga 160. This would have made this a very expensive library in Giga.

Good call on the laptop usage. A firewire drive could be used, but laptops went to that dang four pin 1394 connector, which lacks power.

I don\'t get the 3 x GS160 estimate though. One GS160 machine can do 64 channels. With the instruments that I want in my general template I can\'t use all 64 channels on my 1.5 GB PC as it is with GPO.

Maybe I\'m missing something here. Please explain your estimate.

Of course, the GS2.5 would pose some real limitations. It can\'t stack multiple patches on a channel, so the ensemble building as it stands would be tough. Layers could solve this though. One would have to assume that the programmers would be creative rather than mapping straight across.

My point is not that the Kontakt player is bad. It works very well for many situations. But a Giga version, if well done, wouldn\'t be bad either. And a GS3 version could be quite good. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Aziraphal:
    Title says it all [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Or can everybody run to the store and get more RAM / CPU horsepower / full Kontakt upgrade, whenever feeling like doubling the orchestra size?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Aziraphal,

With 1 GB of RAM you have enough resources to run an entire orchestra. We considered implementing streaming when we were in development but there were some issues with DFD. We found that the library worked much better in RAM with far fewer problems. If you want to run other libraries in addition to GPO, the you can have the benefits of streaming by upgrading to the full Kontakt version.

If GPO users want DFD, it would be entirely possible to implenent it in a future upgrade. Perhaps when the new DFD engine is available we can explore this option.

How do GPO users feel about implementing DFD with GPO. Are you happy with the performance the way it is? Do you see any other benefits to implementing streaming?

Gary Garritan

I think it would be a nice option, especially as the library grows...

> \"How do GPO users feel about implementing DFD with GPO. Are you happy with the performance the way it is? Do you see any other benefits to implementing streaming?\"

My preference (realistic or not) is for a GS3 version somewhere down the road. Then I get disk streaming, plus integration with my other samples on one playback computer. But I think you know my preferences on that already. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

In the meantime... DFD would be nice. Right now I can\'t load all that I would like in my template on my 1.5 GB PC. I have to carefully choose what I will use for a given orchestration. And unloading/loading in the middle of creative work doesn\'t help the flow. Maybe another 512 MB would do the trick, as I\'m not all that far from having a really nice general orchestral template.

If I add another 512 MB, is all that available for samples, all else being equal? If so, maybe that\'s the right path for me.

I don\'t like the long load times into RAM for a big template. I do like that the disk doesn\'t get so stressed, so it doesn\'t make so much seeking noise.

Let me know about what to expect from another 512 MB stick. If that does the trick, no DFD needed here.

Jon,

Not really the MIDI channels would need 3 Giga PC\'s but the polyphony. I\'m pushing 200 stereo voices. That would be about 400 voices in Giga. 2 Giga 160 machines would only give you 320 voices. Also, you can even load more than 8 instances of the player which would be more than 8 MIDI channels. That\'s the most I\'ve ever used in Kontakt. If I would have been using the player it would have been more channels.

I like the loading in RAM feature myself. Perhaps DFD would be good as an option for some, but I don\'t forsee needing it. I have 2GB on my desktop and 1GB on my Titanium. That\'s all I need (so far) I\'d much rather eat the slower loading times at the outset in exchange for long term stability. And I\'m not sure about the PC side of things but NI has not been able to release a stable DFD on the Mac yet. If you want to offer it as an option it would be best to wait (at least for Mac) until NI shows us they can deliver the goods.

Cheers

Go Back to forum