• Register
  • Help

Topic: Run GPO on WindowsServer 2003?

Run GPO on WindowsServer 2003?

Does anyone know if common Windows XP compatible software like GPO (Kontakt player etc.) will install and/or run on Windows Server 2003? I would assume so since the server OS looks essentially like XP Pro, but I have not been able to find any concrete answers on the internet.
    Thanks for your help!

Re: Run GPO on WindowsServer 2003?

I can\'t give you a straight answer, since I have no idea if it will run. But it should. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    In fact it\'s not WinXP *only*, it was tested on W98 too. And I\'m going to run it on Win 2000 Professional...
    I know this post wasn\'t much of a help but at least it bumped this thread up [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

After some exaustive reaserch, I think that Server 2003 will work. I found someone in the Cakewalk/Sonar 3 forum that is apparently using it. I will know for sure in Feb. when I get the Server install CD from Microsoft.
    Here is a link to the forum:

It should work. However, Be aware that 2003 server is a different beast whenit comes to security. And unlike previous server versions it defaults most security settings to locked. Which means software that gets installed sometimes just doesn\'t work until you unlock the right parameter - which is often very difficult to identify. It doesn\'t really bring anything to the table for a DAW user either...

I found this great link for setting up Microsoft Server 2003 to be more of a workstation.

I have no idea if you\'ll be able to get it to work, though if you plan to try, I will certainly wish you luck and be curious to know the results. It probably goes without saying that it isn\'t a supported OS. Good luck!

Go Back to forum