• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I'm probably stupid, but I cannot make one sound through GPO Studio : can any1 help?

Share/Bookmark

I\'m probably stupid, but I cannot make one sound through GPO Studio : can any1 help?

Well, I installed Studio without problem, and it launches ok...
    (but for a short message at the beginning, \"asio mme : set4chMode failed\" any clue ? I have a Gina 24 and WDM driver which is perfectly \"seen\" by GPO Studio setup, and that I have selected)
    ------
    When I launch Overture, I go to \"midi devices\", but I jst see my midioverlan outputs and hardware midi interface outputs, not GPO Studio, neither Personnal orchestra 1, 2 3...
    No big surprise that I make absolutely no sound, and that the virtual keyboard remains dead, even if I hammer on my real keyboard like mad (getting a bit nervous I suppose...)
    I also tried from Cubase SX, looking for GPO Studio almost everywhere (midi ouputs, vst instruments.... no way).
    I am pretty sure that I\'m the only stupid cuplrit in this situation, but I cannot guess where...
    I must confess that for now I just explored Overture and cannot say I master it !
    Can somebody help ?
    Thanks in advance.
    PS : a little tutorial \"for dummies\" would be a great bonus : the \"manual\" is very basic.

Re: I\'m probably stupid, but I cannot make one sound through GPO Studio : can any1 help?

sirbellog,

The first thing to do is to check the Mod Wheel. In GPO the Mod Wheel controls the volume. If the mod wheel is down you\'ll get no sound even if you hammer on your keyboard like mad. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

See if this works. If not, email me and we\'ll get you up and running in no time. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: I\'m probably stupid, but I cannot make one sound through GPO Studio : can any1 help?

\"asio mme : set4chMode failed\" any clue ? I have a Gina 24 and WDM driver which is perfectly \"seen\" by GPO Studio setup, and that I have selected)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">1)Can you try to set up a different audio driver in GPO Studio (prefs/audio device).

2)its normal that you dont \"see\" the Personal Orchestra MIDI drivers from overture as they are hidden and automatically connected as soon as you hit the \"GPO\" Section.

3)If you could locate a file called \"PersonalOrchestraStudio.log\" in the GPO Studio install dir and send it to gary and me (davidv@plogue.com), it would give me some more clues.

Cheers

Thanks Gary,
    for your fast reply.
    Just to make things clear, I have no problem at all with GPO, which runs smoothly in Cubase or in stand alone.
    It\'s just when trying to interface GPO with GPO Studio with Overture.
    I will make some more trials, and if I cannot sort this out, will email you.
    ------------------------------------
    [quote]Originally posted by David (plogue):
    its normal that you dont \"see\" the Personal Orchestra MIDI drivers from overture as they are hidden and automatically connected as soon as you hit the \"GPO\" Section.
    3)If you could locate a file called \"PersonalOrchestraStudio.log\" in the GPO Studio install dir and send it to gary and me (davidv@plogue.com), it would give me some more clues.
    Cheers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">--------
    ---------------------
    Wow, this must be my poor english, but I really do not see what I am supposed to understand with me \"hitting\" the GPO section....
    As for the log, I will look for it right away and send it to you if I find it.
    Thanks again for your help.

It\'s me again !
    Well at least I found how to plug into the Studio\'s GPO instances from Cubase SX (midi ouput personalorchestra 1 to 8, and matching the right midi channel).
    This is in fact pretty simple and I was probably too tired a moment ago from my numerous unscessful trials with Overture to make it out right away before dinner.
    But the problem does remain with Overture ; in fact, what is one supposed to do exactly to play GOP from overture ?
    The 1st steps seem clear :
    - I launch GPO Studio,
    - I load one program into slot one for GPO instance #1 (and anyway, if I play on the virtual keyboard of this instance, it sounds ok).
    Fine....
    And now ???
    I mean, playing my real keyboard, with Overture active, does not do anything at all, even after moving the modwheel upwards...
    Yet the midi test of my midi inputs, in Overture\'s \" midi devices \" panel proves okay, so the midi signal is indeed coming into Overture.
    This is the routing from there which remains a bit unclear to me, and therefore the thing I\'m supposed to do to explain to Overture that I want this midi through to GPO Studio.
    I hope that my more detailed explanations will help you to see better where my mistake probably is.
    ---------
    ---------
    PS ( a few trials later) : I do have midi coming out of Overture, since I can play GS on my 2nd PC via midioverlan. Simply, where is this GPO Host ?

Wow, this must be my poor english, but I really do not see what I am supposed to understand with me \"hitting\" the GPO section..... [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Click \"GPO\" on Overture\'s menu bar.

Originally posted by CadeBryant:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Wow, this must be my poor english, but I really do not see what I am supposed to understand with me \"hitting\" the GPO section.....
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Click \"GPO\" on Overture\'s menu bar. [/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">--------
    This I already did : but there I just see \"Edit Soundset, Load Soundset\", and clicking either option, or loading a soundset template,does not activate anything,

[/QB][/QUOTE]--------
    This I already did : but there I just see \"Edit Soundset, Load Soundset\", and clicking either option, or loading a soundset template,does not activate anything, [/QB][/QUOTE]

I have the full version of Overture 3.5.1, so I hope my findings will help you.

I would start by getting Personal Orchestra Studio up and entering some instruments into Player 1, 2, etc. -- making sure that you can get sound by hitting a few of the Player keys (if you don\'t get sound at this point, then there\'s no reason to keep going down this path). Next -- open Overture and load a score (or import a MIDI file). Open the Tracks Window. Under the Device column, select a \"n-GPO Player n\" for each instrument in your score. In the channel column, enter a number to point to the proper instrument you had entered in the Player.

Hit \"Play\". It should work.

The new GPO menu is a mystery for me, also. I selected \"Edit Sound Set...\" and filled in the blanks. Saved in a folder of my choosing. Nothing seemed to happen. I\'m guessing that the Sound Set is intended to name the instruments in the Track Window (it didn\'t, though). Whatever it does (or doesn\'t) has no effect on Playing the song. Plus, when I select \"Load Sound Set...\", I can\'t find the earlier saved Set. Doing another \"Edit Sound Set...\" does allow finding the Set, but the Edit screen simply opens with the default values, not the ones in the Set file (which I see using a text editor).

But the sounds are great -- much better than I had ever heard before from a raw MIDI file.

I\'m in the same boat. I\'m not ungrateful, but I can\'t see how to use this app.

#1 - I see no way to set up midi inputs on it, so I dont know how to get my controller information to it. I have the 1st instance of the player on channel 1 and my controller is outputting on channel 1, but I dont see any connection here.

#2 - Opening up the tracks window in the bundled overture, I only have the choice of General MIDI in teh devices column. I cant see any way of configuring it to anything GPO related. In the Options->Midi, where it lists my MIDI devices, I do not see anything GPO related.

Can anybody educate me on what I\'m doing wrong here?

Thanks.

Let me add taht I can get the bundled Overture and the stand alone player to talk fine using the Maple Virtual MIDI port, so I think that I have everything plumbed correctly.

In the Maple case, the Tracks view in Overture still only shows General MIDI for devices, so I\'m not sure that is an indication of anything.

Go Back to forum