• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about GPO Studio???

Share/Bookmark

Question about GPO Studio???

I did download PO studio today, and so far everything was working, but there is one thing which I could not figure out: How can I change the sounds on the same staff in Overture (or Sibelius). For example GPO 1 would have in slot1-channel 1 flute vib and in the same instance of Kontakt in slot 2-channel 2 flute non vib.. How can I change from one patch to the other without changing stave in my notation program? I can change my MIDI channel in the middle of a Cubase track but I do not know if it is possible in notation program. Configuring a score with a stave for each articulation would give kind of a strange looking result.....

Thanks for considering my question

Igor

Re: Question about GPO Studio???

I don\'t pretend to know the correct answer for this, but I would assume there\'s some way to do a patch change on a track? Check the notation app\'s documentation.

I don\'t pretend to know the correct answer for this, but I would assume there\'s some way to do a patch change on a track? Check the notation app\'s documentation.
    --------------------
    Robgb
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks,

I know how to put a patch change, at least in Sibelius. But, as far as I know the patches in Kontakt do not have numbers or Bank assignements? I am new to Kontakt so please be indulgent if this is a stupid question. I the documentation of Overture I could not find a thing about program or patch changes

Igor

--------------------
    Robgb
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks,

I know how to put a patch change, at least in Sibelius. But, as far as I know the patches in Kontakt do not have numbers or Bank assignements? I am new to Kontakt so please be indulgent if this is a stupid question. I the documentation of Overture I could not find a thing about program or patch changes

Igor

Igor, the fact that Kontakt will not respond to program changes is indeed a problem in this context. I have just started testing Sibelius with GPO Studio, and my understanding is that you need to create multiple staves for the different articulations since you can only assign a stave to a single MIDI channel. In GPO this therefore corresponds to one sound. I think this is also supported by a short section in the Sibelius manual. It is then just a case of hiding the ununsed stave depending on which articulation you are using at any point in the score to make the score look correct.

This seems like a mess I know, but it is not too bad really. You can get away with two staves for each of the string sections by using Sus+Short on one stave and the KS Combo on the other. There are then only a few other instruments with multiple articulations.

I hope that someone else might know a better way of doing it, but at the moment I do not think it is possible.

I look forward to the day when Sibelius might integrate well with GPO. Even with the crude method of embedding mod wheel commands in the score to set the volume of each section, the overall sound is still way, way better than any of my GM sound modules.

Hope this helps

Ian

Program changes in GPO may not be possible, but perhaps it\'s possible to change MIDI channel assignments in the staff.

In Finale, I could create a non-printing measure expression which would change a violin staff, for example, from a MIDI channel assigned to an arco program to a different channel assigned to a pizzicato.

I don\'t use Sibelius, but I\'d expect this would be possible.

Changing MIDI channels on one staff was my first line of attack, however I could not find a way of doing it in Sibelius. So if anyone can tell me how, I would be grateful to know...

Thanks

Ian

Thanks for all the feedback [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

But to bad that there is no real good solution to this problem, maybe in the future....

Igor

PatS

In Overture, I assign different patches to different staff voices. Overture provides 8 voices per staff, each voice assignable to a separate MIDI channel. The downside of this configuration is that I have to insert and hide rests where I don\'t want a particular patch to play (I hide the rests to avoid symbol overlap or collision in the score). For example, if I have two quarter-note beats of arco (sustain patch assigned to Voice 1) followed by a pizzicato note on the third beat (pizzicato patch assigned to Voice 2), I\'d have to insert and hide a half-note rest in Voice 2 before entering the pizzicato note. I\'d love for Overture to let me enter everything in Voice 1, drag-select a note or series of notes, and then select \"Assign to Voice #\" from a pop-up menu or keyboard shortcut. Overture would move the note(s) to the destination voice and then insert and hide the appropriate rests in both Voice 1 and the destination voice (or do whatever it takes to place the notes in their correct position). Of course, I\'d love for Kontakt and Kontakt Player to support bank and patch changes, but we may have a better chance getting the developers of notation programs to tweak their code long before Native Instruments adds the feature.

Pat

Sibelius can\'t change MIDI channel mid staff. The question has been asked and answered by the Sibelius staff on their forum. I\'ve looked for a workaround, but have found none. Also, it can\'t stack channels on a single staff.

The only workaround I\'ve found is to make a second staff, and make it invisible. Then select certain notes and make them silent. It\'s ugly, but if you really want the feature, that\'s what it takes.

Go Back to forum