• Register
  • Help

Topic: simple GPO studio question

Share/Bookmark

simple GPO studio question

Hi,

I\'m only liable to use 1 or 2 instances of GPO at a time in SONAR, and not using any score writing s/w at all.

Is GPO studio a waste of time for me? Or should I install it anyway....

PS - if you can\'t disable the ambience reverb, that\'s not too good. I\'ve got other reverbs that I\'d use...

Thanks

Re: simple GPO studio question

Originally posted by jbraner:
    Hi,

I\'m only liable to use 1 or 2 instances of GPO at a time in SONAR, and not using any score writing s/w at all.

Is GPO studio a waste of time for me? Or should I install it anyway....

PS - if you can\'t disable the ambience reverb, that\'s not too good. I\'ve got other reverbs that I\'d use...

Thanks
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You can disable the Ambience, in essence. You just have to turn the wet off and the dry all the way up. If you\'re not seeing the Ambience come up when you double click on the icon in Studio (which is why people were thinking you couldn\'t turn it off), the screen resolution needs to be changed to 1024x768 (although I\'m hoping that gets changed, because I prefer 800x600).

As far as whether it\'d be useful, perhaps not in your case if GPO is working fine for you in Sonar, but you may as well download it anyway. You can always install it later.

As far as whether it\'d be useful, perhaps not in your case if GPO is working fine for you in Sonar, but you may as well download it anyway. You can always install it later.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks Shaz - that\'s what I thought....

If you turn the \"wet\" down and \"dry\" all the way up on ambience - it\'s still there wasting CPU cycles. (although it\'s not -that- much [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

Depends on the machine, I suppose, but I\'m able to use at least six instances of GPO in Sonar when I go through GPO Studio.

robgb,

Yeah, but is it worth running GPO studio if you only intend to run 1 or 2 instances?

If I was only going to run one or two instances, I would probably bypass GPO Studio, simply because the only way to capture wavs through Studio is to do it in realtime.

With VSTs (or DXis) you can use Sonar\'s Bounce to Track and capture wavs at super speed. A real time saver.

While there DOES seem to be less of a CPU performance hit through Studio, I think Studio is probably best used with notation software.

I\'d recommend for you to keep using Sonar as you have been already using it. GPO Studio is primarily intended for use wth notation programs, but it is possible in some cases it could be useful for people having difficulties with GPO together with Sonar. Since you\'re doing fine with Sonar it seems, just stick to what\'s working for you [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

As for Ambience in GPO Studio, if someone wants totally dry sounds in GPO Studio, the best way will be to totally turn down the wet slider in Ambience and also turn down the quality/CPU knob to zero. Keep in mind that with GPO Studio, you would generally need to use an outboard or soundcard reverb if you wanted to use something other than Ambience.

Since you\'re doing fine with Sonar it seems, just stick to what\'s working for you
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks for the replies. That\'s what I thought, but I just wanted to be sure [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum