• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Setting up Finale for GPO Studio

Share/Bookmark

Setting up Finale for GPO Studio

This is a tutorial for setting up Finale for GPO Studio playback.

Assumption: You’ve successfully installed GPO Studio and Finale.

Start GPO Studio. Studio must be up and running to get sounds from Finale.

You’ll see 8 Players: Player 1, Player 2, ... Player 8. Click on one of the Player buttons and up pops an instance of the Kontakt Player. Inside the Player you’ll see 8 slots. Slot 1 is just above the big LOAD button. Slot 2 is just to the right of Slot 1. Slot 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 go off to the right. That means you can potentially load up to 8 instruments in each Player.

Since you see 8 Players, and each Player has 8 slots for instruments, you can load up to 8*8=64 instruments. I don’t have the RAM to do that. I wish.

In order to get a sound from Finale you must load at least one instrument into one of the Players. I think that it’s logical to load up your first instrument into Slot 1 of Player 1. But as you’ll learn, it is quite simple from Finale to reference any of the 64 instrument slots.

Review: GPO Studio must be up and running to play GPO Studio instruments from Finale. 64 max number of instruments.

Finale uses Channel Numbers to specify instruments in GPO Studio.

Conveniently, we’ll make Finale Channel Numbers start at 1 and go to 64.

Finale Channel Number 1 = GPO Player 1, Slot 1.

So if you set up a staff in Finale that sends MIDI data on Channel 1 you will play the instrument you loaded in GPO Player 1, Slot 1.

Here’s the planned relationship of Finale Channel Number to GPO Slots
    Chan 1 = Player 1, Slot 1
    Chan 2 = Player 1, Slot 2
    Chan 3 = Player 1, Slot 3
    Chan 4 = Player 1, Slot 4
    Chan 5 = Player 1, Slot 5
    Chan 6 = Player 1, Slot 6
    Chan 7 = Player 1, Slot 7
    Chan 8 = Player 1, Slot 8
    Chan 9 = Player 2, Slot 1
    Chan 10 = Player 2, Slot 2
    Chan 11 = Player 2, Slot 3
    Chan 12 = Player 2, Slot 4
    Chan 13 = Player 2, Slot 5
    Chan 14 = Player 2, Slot 6
    Chan 15 = Player 2, Slot 7
    Chan 16 = Player 2, Slot 8
    Chan 17 = Player 3, Slot 1
    etc.

Note:
    Channel 9 is the first slot of Player 2
    Channel 17 is the first slot of Player 3.

Recognizing the mathematical pattern, we can draw up the following:

Finale Chan 1-8, GPO Player 1.
    Chan 9-16, Player 2.
    Chan 17-24, Player 3.
    Chan 25-32, Player 4.
    Chan 33-40, Player 5.
    Chan 41-48, Player 6.
    Chan 49-56, Player 7.
    Chan 57-64, Player 8.

It is time to get this information into Finale.

</font><ul type=\"square\">[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Open Finale.</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Create a new document with 3 staves for Flute, Trumpet, and Viola.</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Click MIDI.</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Click MIDI Setup...</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You’ll see the “MIDI Setup” window.
    Click the “Advanced...” button.</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Note on the right side “MIDI Out”. This is where we specify GPO Studio!
    Under the subtitle “MIDI Out” click the drop down list at “Device”.</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Scroll down and select “Personal Orchestra: 1”. [If you do not see “Personal Orchestra: 1\" I suspect that you’ll have to reinstall GPO Studio.]</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Type a 1 in the tiny box under “Base Channel” just to the right of “Personal Orchestra: 1\".</font>[/list]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\"> Recall what we saw earlier “Finale Chan 1-8, GPO Player 1\". That’s what we’ve got now. You’re set up to use channels 1-8 to access slots 1-8 of GPO Player 1.

We need to setup channels for GPO Players 2-8 next.

See the drop down boxes in the bottom half of the “MIDI Setup” window? Click the drop down lists and set the following

Personal Orchestra : Base Channel.
    2: 9.
    3: 17.
    4: 25.
    5: 33.
    6: 41.
    7: 49.
    8: 57.

Save your MIDI Setup by clicking the OK button.

If you are using Finale 2004 (like me) you must disable Human Playback. Human Playback uses MIDI data in a way different from GPO.

Click the speaker-looking button to open up the “Playback Settings”.
    [If you don’t see the speaker-looking button, click “Window”, click “Playback Controls”]
    Click the drop down list next to “Human Playback Style” and select “None”.

While still in the “Playback Settings” window, set “Base Key Velocity” to 95. The Base Key Velocity is the Key Velocity initially assigned to notes as you enter them in a staff from the typing keyboard or the mouse. Key Velocity determines how hard the attack is for the GPO Flute, Trumpet and Viola. I suggest a velocity of 95 just for now as a fairly strong clear attack. (I actually use a base key velocity of 64 for my work, but I adjust the key velocity by additional means. I don’t want to get into that in this message.)

Save your changes to “Playback Settings”.

We need to back up a bit and load instruments in GPO Studio now. Recall that we’re planning to play a Flute, a Trumpet, and a Viola.

Open up Player 1.
    Load a bowed Viola instrument into slot 1, Player 1.
    Load a trumpet instrument into slot 2, Player 1.
    Open up Player 2.
    Load a Flute instrument into slot 1.

Channel 1 = Viola.
    Channel 2 = Trumpet
    Channel 9 = Flute.

GPO Studio has got our instruments loaded.

Back to Finale.

Change the first measure (only) to 1/4 time. I’ve discovered that I need some lead time in Finale before the music starts.

Make some Expressions to specify Channel Numbers.

Open up the Expression Tool.
    Create a text expression “Viola” that plays back channel number = 1.
    Create a text expression “Trumpet” that plays back channel number = 2.
    Create a text expression “Flute” that plays back channel number = 9.

Create a mf (mezzo-forte) text expression that plays back Modulation Wheel (CC1) = 72.

(MW controls volume for GPO bowed Viola, Trumpet, and Flute.)

Save your expressions.

Viola staff, measure 1, place the “Viola” expression.
    Trumpet staff, measure 1, place the “Trumpet” expression.
    Flute staff, measure 1, place the “Flute” expression.

Place the mf text expression in measure 1 of each staff.

Summary: GPO has Viola, Trumpet, and Flute instruments loaded ready to play. Finale has a staff for each instrument, and each staff will play on a specific channel sent to GPO Studio, at volume MW = 72, and attack = 95.

Try it now.

You should be hearing your music.

If there is interest in what I’m doing here, I can go further and show what I’ve learned with Finale’s Text Expressions, Shape Expressions, Articulations, and the MIDI Tool as they relate to GPO Studio.

Re: Setting up Finale for GPO Studio

Adam, Thank you for taking time out of your day to give us this tutorial. It was extreemly helpful. I would enroll in the GPO/GOS, Finale, Sonar3 School of Music if there was one - til then, these postings here on Northern Sound Source are invaluable!
    I would be interested in future postings on
    \"Finale’s Text Expressions, Shape Expressions, Articulations, and the MIDI Tool as they relate to GPO Studio.\"
    Thanks again!!

Adam,

Just what I wanted to see. I\'ve made some progress along these same lines, but your insight is valuable to me. Here\'s some ideas for future tutorials.

1. programming cresc./dim. in Finale. Do you just enter the smart shape, and then scale cc#1 over the span of the cresc./dim. using the midi tool, or can you program the cresc./dim. to playback changes in cc#1?

2. changing organ regristrations (would probably be the same for something like tpt. con sordino/senza sordino.

Thanks for the nice tutorial Adam [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by G Rudolph:

2. changing organ regristrations (would probably be the same for something like tpt. con sordino/senza sordino.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It\'s straight forward. (That is, with a ton of preparation. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

In GPO Studio load up all the organ registrations you want, one instrument to a slot. Do something similar for your trumpet, load open trumpet instruments and muted instruments.

Then, note the channel numbers of each of the registrations and each of the different trumpet instruments.

In the Finale Expression Tool make channel number expressions, one expression for each registration and each trumpet instrument (open, muted). In Finale, changing the channel number changes which instrument you reference in GPO Studio.

Place these channel changes on the staff (any staff) where you want your organist to change registration, and where you want your trumpeter to play muted or open.

For my work with old-timey Turn-of-the-Century orchestra scores, this is a super feature. These old scores have cues galore because they wanted there orchestra pieces performable by whatever instruments you had available. For instrance, a trombone part I\'m looking at lately has cues for Horn, Bassoon, and, of course, some Trombone. So I make Finale Text Expressions that appear as cues in the Trombone part, but sound on playback as the actual stated instrument.

From a playback perspective your notation instructions to the performer send the appropriate channel number to GPO Studio.

There is still the issue of Channel Volume. I\'ll address that in another post. I\'m still toying with ideas, and personally welcome hearing success stories from other Finale users.

Originally posted by G Rudolph:

1. programming cresc./dim. in Finale. Do you just enter the smart shape, and then scale cc#1 over the span of the cresc./dim. using the midi tool, or can you program the cresc./dim. to playback changes in cc#1?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Just for the record, controlling cresc./dim. in Finale is different depending upon how GPO controls the volume. (I guess this is obvious, just wanted to make it even more obvious.) For example, to increase volume on piano, you change the Note Velocity, and to increase volume on a trumpet, you change MW CC#1.

I use 2 methods for cresc./dim. with MW CC#1:
    The 2 methods you mentioned!

1. MIDI Tool.
    Click \"MIDI Tool\"
    Click \"Edit Continuous Data...\"
    Click \"Continuous\" radio button.
    Type in 1 (for Modulation)
    Save it.
    Decide where you want a cresc., a specific measure (or measures) in a specific staff. Decide your start CC#1 value and your end CC#1.
    Assume now that p = 40 and mf = 72, and assume that you want to cresc from p to mf in the space of one measure.
    Double click the measure.
    You\'ll see the graphic display at top.
    (Remember we\'re editing CC#1 continuous data.)
    In the graphic pane above drag the mouse from the start of the measure to the end of the measure. Now you\'ve got one measure highlighted.
    Click \"MIDI Tool\".
    Click \"Scale...\".
    Type from \"40\" and to \"72\".
    Click OK.
    You\'ll see your cresc. graphically.

So on playback you\'ll get a MW CC#1 cresc.

This is extremely time consuming. Especially if all you are trying to do is add a little expression on a single note.

So....

2. Define Shape Expressions.
    You can define Shape Expressions that cresc./dim. over a specific duration.
    For example I have cresc./dim. defined for 1 quarter note, 2 quarter notes, 2 dotted quarters, etc. They\'ll work in any tempo. And, these Shape Expressions are \"Relative\", meaning you can cresc to/from p or f or ff or pp, and they\'ll work.

NOTE: The cresc./dim. are implemented in Human Playback, but modify Channel Volume. That doesn\'t work for us because we need cresc./dim. on MW CC#1.

That\'s all for now. I\'ve got to make some sort of in-depth tutorial to describe how to make Finale shape expressions for cresc./dim. In my opinion, it is extremely difficult to understand, but I did hammer my way through the material and was fairly successful, and I\'d like to share what I\'ve learned here at this forum.

Regarding Finale\'s \"Human Playback\" feature: I\'ve found that it works well with the \"percussive\" GPO intruments, namely percussion, piano, pizzicatos, and so on.

I\'ve experimented with creating 2 MIDI files from one score, one with Human Playback on, and one with it off (on the second file I also change dynamic expressions to affect the mod wheel). Then I\'ll select the percussive MIDI tracks from the first file and all the other tracks from the second and combine them in a master file.

Using the human playback on some tracks does save a bit of tweaking. Harp arpeggios, for instance, are rendered quite realistically with very little effort.

Adam,

Thanks for doing such a great job on this tutorial! I think that if we take the time once to alter each dynamic, changing the velocity setting to the CC#1 modulation setting. We can save all of the altered dynamics in a Finale text expression library. Simply load that library into another document and all of the dynamics will be set to go!

JT

Originally posted by danpowers:

Using the human playback on some tracks does save a bit of tweaking.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I am intrigued by what you are doing, because I like the Human Playback. I wish they had provided some options for enabling specific controls, like, in particular, volume = Mod Wheel (CC#1)!

Originally posted by Jeff Turner:

I think that if we take the time once to alter each dynamic, changing the velocity setting to the CC#1 modulation setting. We can save all of the altered dynamics in a Finale text expression library. Simply load that library into another document and all of the dynamics will be set to go!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes! I think that is a perfect way to go. I suggest also making dynamic marking libraries for specific instruments like the GPO Snare, Pizzicato, etc. to get an out-of-the-box volume balance when you mix and match instruments. I mention the snare because you need MW for the roll and the Vel (vol) for the other sounds.

I\'m just trying to minimize the necessity of doing a lot of work in a squencer. Finale is really a sequencer extra-lite. In the Finale Manual they even talk about using Finale as somewhat of a sequencer.

Go Back to forum