• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How Does it Make You Feel?

Share/Bookmark

How Does it Make You Feel?

The more I use GPO, the better I feel. What a wonderful library. I\'m constantly amazed by how good it sounds.

My flu has been cured, my winter itch went away and I\'m beginning to think GPO is the reason....

Re: How Does it Make You Feel?

Well, sort of the opposite for me. I\'ve gained an addiction. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

To quote one of my older poems:

It makes me feel like this:

#^GE*^EG#&ERG#*RG#*&RG#*RG#*&RG

and I like it!
    [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

For the first time, I can sit at down and simply think about composing and not some way around the limitations of a library. At this point, the concerns associated with hardware and software technology have nearly disappeared from the foreground and I\'ve gotten closer to \"pure\" musical thought during my sessions. That\'s a gift from GPO that cannot be overestimated. It\'s quick, efficient, and creatively gratifying to work with. I think that the body of work that it will generate from the numerous users that adopt GPO as an orchestrational platform will more than bear me out on this point. The good folks at Berklee seem to agree. Who could ask for anything more?

Funny thing is, I just got a review copy of Opus 1 and I don\'t feel like loading 30 gb worth of samples and wading through them... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Nice to have GPO within easy reach.

Originally posted by robgb:
    Funny thing is, I just got a review copy of Opus 1 and I don\'t feel like loading 30 gb worth of samples and wading through them... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">OH, BOO-HOO Rob [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You can send Opus 1 my way, I promise to write you a review for it in return [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] .

How does it make me feel? Honestly, ambivalent. Not all that negative, not super positive. A bit of this and a bit of that.

On the positive side:

* What a super value! $249 for the whole orchestra, plus other goodies. Amazing. Hence, my purchase.

* Very complete. Not just an orchestra, but a very complete one. Two harps? A pipe organ. Very cool.

* Nice expression. Having the mod wheel control so many instruments is excellent. Definitely a step above the typical CC#11 expression, which is volume only. It\'s not the first lib to offer mod-wheel control of dynamics and timbre, but it\'s the first (to my knowledge) to offer it on so many instruments.

* A nice blend. Laying the instrument tracks together builds a result that is greater than the sum of the parts.

* A reasonably solid first release. I had problems out of the box, but made them right. The pedal crashed the system in some cases. The solo violin had tuning problems. These were quickly resolved in the first update. Not perfect, but above average quality for 1.0/1.1 software.

* Active enhancements. Wow. 1.1 came right away. GPO Studio is out. Do we get new stuff *every* month? It\'s clear that GPO is only in its infancy.

Now to the negatives - not for everybody, but for me...

* My focus is on aggressive/edgy music, often from solo instruments. GPO has a more traditional sound. I can\'t complain though. I knew that I was getting a broad foundation, and that I couldn\'t expect every sound to beat a VSL, EWQL Platinum or a boutique library - or to be tailored to my ear. I figured that I\'d fill the gaps with other current and future libs.

Keep in mind the above positive point of the blend of the instruments though. While a given single patch may not \"speak to me\", combining the instruments often surprises me with better than expected results. It\'s kind of odd - in a good way.

* Difficult to mix & match with my Giga libs on my current system. I own some libs that I really love, and know very well. But I can\'t play them simultaneously with GPO on my current setup. So I often don\'t use GPO at all, depending on the focus of the piece I\'m working on.

* Poor current integration with Sibelius. GPO Studio helps. There are still some functional limitations. Gary assures me that this will be improved over time, and I\'m very confident that this will be the case. But for now, when I use Sibelius, I don\'t use GPO as the soundset.

Writing this out (my own personal therapy) has shown me why I feel ambivalent about GPO - most of the time I don\'t use it. I\'ve pushed it to the back of the toolbox. And if I don\'t use it, I\'m not getting my money\'s worth.

But I really *want* to use it. And when it\'s near the front of the toolbox, where it belongs, the ambivalence will surely pass.

I\'m just gonna have to figure out a scheme to host GPO on another machine, and spend the cash to do it. Some combination of new RAM, a soundcard, FxTeleport and the existing PCs in my house will eventually do it. Then I can sequence with it alongside Giga.

Regarding Sibelius integration, I\'ll be patient. I don\'t really need GPO sounds to proof my notation or work out counterpoint, so this is really secondary.

Eventually, GPO will be at the front of the toolbox, where it belongs.

-Jon Fairhurst

PS: Please don\'t tell me I should experience things differently or make music differently. My experiences and feelings are valid.

And the feelings of those who use GPO regularly, and enjoy it deeply are also 100% valid - that\'s where I want to be. I\'m just not quite there yet.

Originally posted by Alan Lastufka:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by robgb:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">OH, BOO-HOO Rob [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You can send Opus 1 my way, I promise to write you a review for it in return [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] . </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">What\'s your address, Ala-- oh, wait, that probably wouldn\'t be legal... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Don\'t worry, Jon, you\'ll get there eventually...

Originally posted by robgb:
    Don\'t worry, Jon, you\'ll get there eventually...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">And I\'m taking active steps to make it happen...

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=007058

Writing the above post about \"how it makes me feel\" was a bit of an epiphany.

Go Back to forum