• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A Few Random Questions

Share/Bookmark

A Few Random Questions

Hey Everyone,

I\'m back with more questions. Can you believe it?

First, when I load multi\'s into the GPO Studio, I get the following message:

\"The outputs configured in the loaded multi differ from the current output configuration.\"

It gives me that message, then I push OK and it finishes loading. Just wondered if anyone knew what that meant.

Second, thanks for all the help with upgrading my CPU. I ended up ordering a new Gateway with a Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz with Hyper-threading technology and 512 megs of DDR ram. What exactly is DDR ram? Not that it really matters. I would have loved to just buy a bare bone system like everyone reccommended, but my budget wouldn\'t allow it. Oh well.

So, back to my question, when I get my new system, how do I go about registering it with Native Instruments? I need to get a new activation code, right?

Well, I think that is all for now. Thanks for all of the help. I can\'t wait to get all of my new equipment.

Jonny

www.jonnylostinc.com

Re: A Few Random Questions

your system spec seem good but you should bite the bullet and get the 1 gig of ram installed...

i think the \"output error\" is a leftover when the multi was programed on a system that had different audio hardware/drivers (probably a multi i/o)...as such the player needs to reconfigure the audio setup to match your system...no big deal, just hit ok...

as far as getting new codes from ni...

i think you will have to install the software and contact them via email or phone them to get new codes...i doubt you will be able to use the automated web system because the serial number has already been registered...in any event you still have 30 days to use it in \"trial mode\" which should be enough time to get your authorization in place...

have fun with with your new system... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

There is a program to activate the licensing found in Programs, Garritan Personal Orchestra. If you have internet access, then you should be able to do it all online now without having to wait for an email.

I also recommend putting 1 GB of memory in the machine. If the computer only has 2 or 3 slots for memory and 2 are used, you will need to by 2 - 512 MB sticks and pull out the 2 sticks in the machine. Check your motherboard or system manual for RAM configurations.

Haydn, I\'m not quite sure what you\'re trying to say on the RAM front. I only have three slots, started with two 256 MB sticks, then added a 512 MB stick later on to equal 1 GIG. No problems.

Are you saying you shouldn\'t run a system this way or did I read you wrong?

Call me confused... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

haydn...altho i haven\'t done this with GPO i have many other software which require a similar activation process...with those the automated activation code will only work the first time you authorise it via the web system...once the serial # has been registered the automated system will reject any further requests to stomp out probable bogus users...as such you will need to contact the software people in person (or via email) to get another activation code...i would think that it\'s the same thing with ni...you could always try tho, maybee it will work but i think you should expext to make a phone call--or at least an email...

Rob,

Oops, forgot to add if you have 2 slots and both have 256 MB chips in them, then you need to remove them and install 512 MB chips. This is what happens when I\'m multitasking at work!

I haven\'t had a chance to get GPO yet but do you mean that everytime I format my computer (which is very often) I am going to have problems registering GPO?

I\'ve registered, and re-registered, GPO several times through the automated NI site.

You get TWO authorizations to start with. In case you use them up, and want to switch to using GPO on a different machine, then you can deactivate one of your existing authorizations to free up activation for the third machine. But, only two may be active at any given time.

If you have problems registering, there is an email link for activation help by NI. They will respond, but it takes 3-5 business days, in my experience.

If you mess up, they will help you out, as they have done with me. So, bottom line, the process does work.

Trond

Two answers to questions floating in this thread that have not been addressed yet:

DDR is Double-Data Rate. DDR Memory can interleave, which means you can write to two balanced memory chips at roughly the same time. This means that you can move information for the next part of the write operation without waiting for the previous bit to finish. The result is that the computer can write to memory somewhat faster than with other configurations.

Which also answers the second question: should you have two chips of the same size rather than three? Ideally, you should have two large chips of the same size, so the DDR interleaving process can actually occur. But whether you do that or not, you are STILL better off with more memory. So if your choice is two chips that are the same, or three that result in more memory, go with three. If you are building a system now, then go with two chips of the same size.

So the quick answer: DDR means that the memory works faster if you have two identical memory sticks. But more memory returns more performance than interleaving does.

I can just imagine the eyes rolling back since I\'m talking to musicians .... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] .... I hope this is helpful.

Mike

Interleaved DDR memory is better known as Dual Channel DDR. This is only supported on certain chipsets such as the Intel 865 and 875 chipsets. Only chipsets are only single channel.

Go Back to forum