• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO studio and Ouverture?

Share/Bookmark

GPO studio and Ouverture?

Hi, I\'d like to know if anyone can help me with Ouverture SE and GPO Studio: I can\'t manage to get any sound out of them:

1st: How can we route in Ouverture the GPO patches to make them play while you are writing something (like in an orchestra template, for example, the violins)? I only found default patches for almost every instrument (kurzweil, etc...) except for GPO... :s And can I use Cubase SX for sequencing and ouverture for sheet music at the same time (instead of cubase\'s score pages)

2nd: Are the full orchestra templates for GPO studio available or do we have to make them ourselves? (when I open GPO studio and choose any of the templates nothing loads)

3rd: Do I need to open my sequencer with GPO studio? how can I route everything to make it sound and receive midi? (I am currently using it as a VST instrument but can\'t manage to load a full orchestra in a 1 gig ram and a p4 3Ghz)and from what I read GPO studio can help you with this [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I\'d really appreciate some help [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thks a lot,

regards,

Ivan

Re: GPO studio and Ouverture?

Ivan,
    \"1st: How can we route in Ouverture the GPO patches to make them play while you are writing something\"

First you need to install GPO Studio. After rebooting if it tells you to, start GPO Studio. Always start GPO Studio first is a good general rule. Then start Overture. You will neeed to load a soundset in Overture (this happens automatically when you select the menu item of File | New, or when you start Overture and select a template. Then go to the menu item of \"Window | Tracks WIndow\" and you will see a list of the midi devices being used by each track/staff. For the Device slot of a particular track, click that slot and hold and you will see a bunch of possible devices. Choose a GPO Player type device. Then go to the Patch slot in the same row and choose the patch you want the track/staff to use. Again click and hold with the mouse. Every time you change the GPO Player device (1-8), you will have a different set of patches available to you in the Patch slot.

One last thing to do. For now, go to GPO Studio, and load instruments on all the players and channels (of each player) so that the instruments in GPO Studio correspond exactly to the soundset you are using. You can find all the details of the soundset you are using by going to the OVerture menu of \"GPO | Edit soundset\".

\"And can I use Cubase SX for sequencing and ouverture for sheet music at the same time (instead of cubase\'s score pages)\"

Generally no. You should run either your sequencer, or your notation program with GPO Studio, but don\'t try to use your sequencer at the same time as your notation program/GPO Studio.

\"2nd: Are the full orchestra templates for GPO studio available or do we have to make them ourselves? (when I open GPO studio and choose any of the templates nothing loads)\"

For the moment you have to make them yourself. This will change very very soon, since we are adding the templates to GPO Studio.

\"3rd: Do I need to open my sequencer with GPO studio?\"

I would advise not to use your sequencer with GPO Studio (unless you want to use GPO with your sequencer and your sequencer doesn\'t support virtual instruments).

You don\'t need to use a sequencer while using GPO Studio and a notation program - it is only likely to cause you problems if you do.

Originally posted by Jeff Hurchalla:

I would advise not to use your sequencer with GPO Studio
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Jeff, I\'m curious to know why you say this -- unless you\'re speaking specifically in conjunction with a notation program.

I\'ve used GPO Studio with my sequencer and think it\'s a bit more CPU effecient to run GPO this way. The only problem is having to bounce to tracks in real time.

Are there any other reasons why you think this is a bad idea?

Hi Rob,
    I only advise people not to use GPO Studio with their sequencer because it is usually not easy to get full functionality. GPO Studio needs access to audio card drivers, and it is the nature of quite a few drivers to give access only to a single application at a time. Hence GPO Studio would be able to play the sounds (if it got access to the audio card first) but it wouldn\'t be unusual for the sequencer to be unable to play sounds (lke an audio track in the sequencer) because it can\'t access the sound card.

For people with old sequencers that don\'t allow virtual instruments, GPO Studio or a sequencer upgrad are the only options. But for people with a modern sequencer, the built-in virtual instrument support is the way to go, and there\'s no need for GPO Studio in this context. That said, for Sonar users, we recommend for users to use the VSTi version of GPO using the Sonar VSTi wrapper (rather than the DXi), but even in this case the sequencer is still using a virtual instrument - there is no need for GPO Studio.

Hmmm. Well, I\'ve been using it with Sonar, which hasn\'t caused a problem at all. Auditioning, recording and playback work just fine.

In sonar you can check an option to allow Sonar to free the ASIO drivers when another app needs them. Maybe that\'s the difference -- or maybe I don\'t know what the heck I\'m talking about. Like I said, there seems to be less CPU strain when I use Studio instead of VST or DXi versions. Maybe it\'s my imagination.

All I know is that it works fine in both sonar and nuendo.

thks a lot Jeff, I have been reading the other posts on the same subject (sorry I made my question before reading everything, I had read before that post but there wasn\'t so many questions as there are now and I just wasn\'t aware that you took the time to answer to them all [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) nevertheless thks a lot again for your answers, I will try everything as you mentioned.

Regards, Ivan

Go Back to forum