• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Studio & >10 MIDI ports?

Share/Bookmark

GPO Studio & >10 MIDI ports?

Anybody running into a warning during MS Windows GPO Studio installation -- when the Maple Virtual Cable detects that you already have 10 MIDI ports installed in your Windows registry? (for those of us w/ multiport MIDI patch bays)

When I saw that, I had to back out... my previous attempts at installing MidiYoke or the Maple software resulted in some major problems w/ my multiport MIDI drivers (I\'m using an eight port MOTU MTP). A system restore didn\'t quite save the day - I had to go back to a previous disk image.

I just wanted to post a \"heads up\" for those of you who may already have (close to) ten ports already installed. My (casual) research leads me to believe that there is no real work-around for this 10 port limitation in Windows, unless we can get our hands on the Windows code [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] This limitation seems to have been there since Win95 and looks like its still there in XP.

Actually, my real advice is to make an image of your studio partition/disk (e.g. Norton Ghost or equivalent). I can\'t tell you how many hours I\'ve saved by restoring a good, working setup rather than trying to troubleshoot my way out of a hasty installation.

Sigh -- oh well, I can live w/ the Kontakt controller behavior across instances, but using GPO Studio as another smart VST host would have been really nice.... (hmm, side question for the GPO Studio team -- is the Maple cable software REALLY necessary? Can I use one of my existing ports somehow?)

Re: GPO Studio & >10 MIDI ports?

Windows XP doesn\'t have the 10 MIDI port limitation although Windows 2000 does. I\'ve had up to 20 ports on my Windows XP system working.

The MIDI limitation bug has been discussed previously. Below is a repost of some of the relevant details.

It seems that the more complex a system gets, sometimes more problems are experienced. When you have a sampler, GPO Studio or MaestroTools, sequencers, MIDI hardware, etc. in your system; they all compete for a limited number of available devices in Windows. Although some have been quick to point the finger at the sampler, it seems that some of the problems have to do with the Windows OS.

Although Microsft is aware of the problem with Win 2000 http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...esign_2u5j.asp, we have run across similar problems with some users on XP systems. Jeff Hurchalla discovered this a while ago. RME and Edirol independently confirmed the device limitation problem in Windows NT/XP/2000 as well (see below).

For details and solutions fixing the problem, RME has some useful information (with nice screenshots) at:
    http://www.rme-audio.de/english/faq/10entrye.htm

Also, David Phillips, Technical Lead at Edirol North America offers some helpful suggestions:

Originally written by David Phillips:
    Problem Description: USB drivers installed correctly but cannot see audio or MIDI ports in recording software. The problem is caused by a 10 driver limitation in Windows XP/2000.

Solution: Click on \"Start\" and choose \"Run,\" then type in \"cmd\" as the command line. Click \"OK\" and a DOS prompt will open. Type the following commands one line at a time, hitting enter after each:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    start devmgmt.msc

The Device Manager will open up, so click on the View menu and choose \"Show Hidden Devices.\"

Look through the device manager carefully and note that there are a lot of drivers with a kind of translucent colored icon next to them. These are what we call \"ghosting\" or otherwise nonpresent drivers your system is remembering in case you were to ever add the device back. They can also be drivers that do system functions and are hidden by default, or partially installed or corrupted driver install attempts, all sorts of things really.
    Look under these categories in particular:

+Human Interface Devices
    +Other Devices
    +Sound, video and game controllers
    +Universal serial bus controllers

Obviously you would want to uninstall any driver that shouldn\'t be there, but pay particular attention to things like these:

USB Composite Device
    Composite USB Device
    USB Audio Device
    USB Human Interface Device
    USB Device
    Unknown Device
    *Edirol or other specific drivers you are having problems installing.

Delete these or any driver duplicates and then restart your computer. After you have completed these instructions your Edirol driver should be reinstalled to complete the procedure. MIDI and audio ports will now be visible in your software.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Perhaps other users and computer wizards have some insight into this problem with Windows. Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

awright, this is the best forum ever! I may have to cruise through and put a little red book together that contains the Garritan/Hopkins tips [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ok then. I\'ll get a new disk image tonight (which will put me in fearless mode) and start hacking/whacking -- hopefully, I post results by Saturday-ish.

Gary & Tom - uh, please come to DC for dinner or something. I\'ll take you to hear the full Marine band (60 pieces, no strings). Incredible sound -- plus they rehearse everything down to a \"gnat\'s a** \" (that\'s the official Marine standard, I heard somewhere). Thank you so much for the info...

p.s. Haydn is showing off [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Ah, it appears that it\'s a USB driver/MIDI driver limitation in Windows XP. I\'ve never run USB MIDI devices so I\'ve haven\'t run across this issue.

BTW, David Phillips of Edirol was helping us with the Edirol PCR-80 keyboard controller that we used at the GPO booth at NAMM. The PCR-80 is a really neat controller with a large number of programmable sliders, knobs and switches. The controller lists for $399 but you can find it for $319 if you shop around. Edirol has other smaller models in the PCR series.

Hmm.. how suspicious. Worked like a charm!!! The suggestions from RME (see above) got rid of my bogus midi entries, and I did the additional cleanup as described by David Phillips (obviously a bright guy [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ).

While I still must bow to Haydn\'s chaos (and thnx for the reality check that, yes, XP can handle more than 10), I now have way more MIDI ports than I need. Well, we shall see about that...

Thanks again Gary, for the info! I did quite a search for (some time ago) for a solution and never got anywhere beyond a description of the problem. This has been on the back burner for at least a year -- closure is so great sometimes...

The only downside is that the Girlfiend is not happy about the additional ports - heh. \"oh, you\'re writing to GARY again\". \"why don\'t you ask GARY what to do about the furnace not working\". \"maybe GARY will pick up these @#$%^ socks, but I\'m not going to\". \"maybe you can store them in your new midi ports, you FREAK\". and so on...

Originally posted by P1E:
    The only downside is that the Girlfiend is not happy about the additional ports - heh. \"oh, you\'re writing to GARY again\". \"why don\'t you ask GARY what to do about the furnace not working\". \"maybe GARY will pick up these @#$%^ socks, but I\'m not going to\". \"maybe you can store them in your new midi ports, you FREAK\". and so on...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">P1E,

Glad the workaround did the trick. ButI don\'t know if it\'s worth the ire of your girlfriend.

Not too long ago there was a silly post about Haydn being Gary Garritan. Maybe Haydn could volunteer to fix the furnace and pick up the socks. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum