• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO maxes out surprisingly fast with my Mac G5?

Share/Bookmark

GPO maxes out surprisingly fast with my Mac G5?

I have a Powermac G5 dual 2 Ghz machine with 1 gig ram which I bought specifically to run GPO/Sibelius. I\'ve been using the new GPO Studio to connect the two and have been trying to see how many voices I can play simultaneously without crashing/pops, etc. I\'ve found on my first trails that with rapid multiple string quartet runs plus piano plus 4 horns using 4 instances of GPO through Studio, I seemed to have already reached my limit (my computer is unable to fully play back what I recorded). My question: given that my system should be quite fast and the program is supposed to fit handily in 1 gig of RAM, what else can I do to allow more voices? I\'m using my G5\'s audio card for playback - might this be slowing things down? I also tried setting the audio buffer to 512, but this didn\'t seem to help. Would there be any advantage in more RAM?
    Any suggestions would be most welcome, as it would be distressing if this is as good as its going to get :-)...
    Thanks -
    robjohn

Re: GPO maxes out surprisingly fast with my Mac G5?

robjohn,

You could try a few things. First load only dry patches in the GPO Studio. Then adjust the quality setting in Ambience down. Also try raising the buffer size. See if this helps.

Gary Garritan

Hi Gary,
    Thanks for the quick response. I unfortunately tried all of those things. One of the things I guess I\'m trying to discern is: is it \"really\" true that all I need is 1 Gig ram or should I get more? And: is there something about the built-in soundcard which came with my dual G5 Powermac that might also cause slowdowns? Best -
    - robjohn

hey richie rich [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I think that you might need more ram. The whole libary is at 1.6Gb and every instance of GPO takes (my computer) 10 Mb of ram. Windows XP takes about 100->200Mb (dont know about OSX)

Your computer is satanicly fast, but since GPO uses all the memory .. it wont be that fast anymore. One think you could do is to check something like the \"task manager\" and see how much ram you have free.

If its not ram-related.. I dont know how experiensed you are, but check if you are using the right audiodrivers.

Good luck

There\'s a processor setting in the dual G5 that needs to be set correctly for best performance. My guess is you may not have done this. I\'m told it makes a big difference. I wish I could remember the details - I ran accross a post on either the motu-mac or logic-users forum at yahoogroups about this - follow the trail, if you\'re not sure you\'ve done this.

Another tip that helps - set the number of voices for each instrument you\'re using to the minimum you actually need. Piano I leave at 64, but a solo instrument can get by with 1-4 voices, depending on how you use it.

Trond

Hey robjohn, aka \"richie rich???\"
    plz report back with your success/failures, I\'m at that critical stage of deciding on a G5. I\'ve pretty much already decided I want one, but how soon i get it may well depend on your report, as well as others...! I can\'t see why the G5 shouldn\'t outperform the PC\'s, except for improper programming.

Thanks,
    Rick

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Originally posted by robjohn:
    I have a Powermac G5 dual 2 Ghz machine with 1 gig ram which I bought specifically to run GPO/Sibelius. I\'ve been using the new GPO Studio to connect the two and have been trying to see how many voices I can play simultaneously without crashing/pops, etc. I\'ve found on my first trails that with rapid multiple string quartet runs plus piano plus 4 horns using 4 instances of GPO through Studio, I seemed to have already reached my limit (my computer is unable to fully play back what I recorded). My question: given that my system should be quite fast and the program is supposed to fit handily in 1 gig of RAM, what else can I do to allow more voices? I\'m using my G5\'s audio card for playback - might this be slowing things down? I also tried setting the audio buffer to 512, but this didn\'t seem to help. Would there be any advantage in more RAM?
    Any suggestions would be most welcome, as it would be distressing if this is as good as its going to get :-)...
    Thanks -
    robjohn
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The G5 processor has the option of running at various speeds. You set this in System Preferences/Energy Saver. The default setting for this is \"Automatic\" adjusting the speed automatically to the current task. However this setting is not optimal for real time applications (such as audio applications) and a better performance will be achieved by setting this to \"Highest Performance\" (or similar text in the option, I don\'t have a G5 here for checking). The performance boost depends on the application, but the difference can be significant so try this in case you haven\'t done so already.

If this does not help then you probably need more RAM. I get basically the same results as you with a similar instrument setup on a G4 933 MHz with 1 GB RAM. 1 GB RAM might be enough for the library, but OS X is memory hungry and the host needs some too. But don\'t go out and buy RAM right away, try and calculate what is actually used first. Run Process Viewer in the background and check it when things starts to choke. For reference you could also ask someone with a similar system to try the exact same setup.

You can get better performance by using a dedicated soundcard, but not necessarily depending on the quality of card/drivers. As an example a MOTU 828mkII gives at least a 10 % performance boost compared to the built in digital audio in the G5, depending on buffer size. But I don\'t think this is the issue here and would advice you to check the above first.

Other things you can do to gain extra performance is setting sleep options to \"Never\", disabling all auto update features, turning of network time and shutting down network access. But these should be considered as last resorts. A G5 2x2 GHz with sufficient RAM should be more than enough to run GPO. I was one of the first to review the dual G5 here in sweden (I write for a musicians magazine) and it\'s a performance monster... Unfortunately I didn\'t have the option of testing Kontakt at the time because the OS X version wasn\'t out yet, but performance should be impressive if the Kontakt engine is fully optimized for the G5.

Wirebird

I don\'t think it\'s RAM. As I just said in another post I tryed GPO on my brother powerbook G4 1.25 GHz and 512 MB of RAM and I reached the limit with 15 different ens strings playing the same notes and with the ambience working.
    Check the energy save option in the preferences as Wiredird said, may be that.
    I think that kontakt is not so optimized for Mac as the emagic virtual instrument but we have to live with it!
    Let us know if it works.
    Michael

I\'m using GPO within Logic. G5 Dual 2G with 4G ram. (Many programs are not be able to use more than 2G anyway)

I have never run up against a limit. I\'ve had 6 instances fully loaded with Sound Designer. CPU not more than 1/2.

My G4 Dual 1G can only load about half that before its near the top.

RickD, if you need a Mac for something else as well as GPO then get the Dual 2G G5. If you just want to run GPO, get a PC. NI has optimized for PC not Mac.

Go Back to forum