• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Abbe and the Demon

Share/Bookmark

The Abbe and the Demon

https://www.scoreexchange.com/scores/162840.html
    The Abbe and the Demon

About 21:30 minute of energetic violin and piano.

This is a piece that I wrote many years ago. I first published it on Sibelius in 2003, as either my first or second piece there. It was well received. What brings it up now is that I was doing some file mainenance and encountered it. The Abbe, course, refers to Liszt, and The Demon refers to Pagannini.

Dynamics and phrasings are few. The following remarks will explain my outlook. They are by David Sosnowski in response to someone who had remarked on their sparseness and on playability.

"The piano part is doable enough; mostly, not all that difficult, really -- other than a couple of wide shots (measure 16 for instance) where a fast roll on the chord would be needed for the reach... fairly routine."

Some of the fingering's a little tricky in places, and it would take a bit of endurance -- but the writing isn't unreasonable for an able pianist.

The technique in modern work like this is rather different than playing the classics, though, as it requires far more wrist-lift and outright arm work. Since that largely eliminates the possibility of more than rudimentary attention to phrasing, you frequently will see little of it in scores of this kind."

I have no reservations about the playability. But I certainly won't attempt it! Would not have attempted it when I wrote it, as a youngster of about 60.

Of all the music I have written, this is probably the one I would most like to hear performed live, but I am not acquainted with any violinist.

I have written only a small amount of string music, mainly because I have almost no experience with a violin, so bowing and multiple stops are not easy for me. But this piece makes me want to try another piece, either Violin or Cello.

Richard Wayland

Re: The Abbe and the Demon

New score and new mp3 just uploaded, correcting audio errors and altering tempo.

Richard

Go Back to forum