• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Future updates I'd like to see

Share/Bookmark

Future updates I\'d like to see

Here are some things that I personally would like to see changed in future updates to GPO:

(1) In Logic, notes sometimes get \"stuck\" when you stop a track while a note is sustaining. Apparently, the Kontakt player doesn\'t receive an \"all notes off\" message when you hit \"stop,\" so the sound keeps on sustaining (my other non-Kontakt VST instruments don\'t have this problem). I realize that this may be an issue with the Kontakt engine, and maybe it\'s something that NI needs to look into, rather than being Garritan\'s responsibility.

(2) I would like to see an option for reversing the mod wheel (e.g., max volume when in the back position rather than forward), or even for disabling it entirely, as it is counterintuitive to always have to move it forward when recording a track.

(3) Velocity sensitivity would be nice. I realize that GPO\'s philosophy is for the mod wheel to be used for volume (see my point #2 above) - but as a keyboardist, I\'m used to being able to control volume/brightness/attack/etc. with velocity; it makes an instrument feel more musical and more expressive.

(4) Finally....despite all the drawbacks of DFD, I would like to at least see this as an option.

Are these things feasible for future releases?

Re: Future updates I\'d like to see

1. This only appears to happen with Logic and not with other programs. NI is trying to resolve this though.

2. Hmmm, haven\'t heard this suggestion before. If you have programmable faders, you may want to assign modulation to it.

3. The library is velocity sensitive on the majority of patches except instruments that don\'t normally have velocity sensitivity. Remember that you lose a large amount of flexibility with brass and woodwinds if you make them respond to volume with velocity. Now you can play soft or loud and be able to control the attacks of the notes. You would lose this feature if velocity was used for volume control. There may be future addons using staccato samples that work with just velocity for loudness as well as timbre changes like you have with the short bow string sounds.

4. You can use Kontakt with DFD. DFD would add a big amount of support headaches such as East West had with the bigger QLSO libraries.

Much thought went into making this library as consistent and playable as possible within the limitations of current sample technology.

CadeBryant:

Thanks for the sugggestions.

(1) This Logic bug has reputedly been fixed in the latest update. We\'ll have the final download early in the week. A few days ago I posted a preliminrary update you may want to try.

(2) We seriously considered an option for reversing the mod wheel. We are trying to find a solution with NI to assign this data to the controller of your choosing. This is something being worked on.

(3) Velocity sensitivity is nice, but most orchestral instruments (brass, woodwinds and strings) require continuous dynmaic control in order to be expressive. If we can assign controllers as mentioned in #2, then you can easily assign it (but you would have to re-assign attack).

(4) Although you don\'t need DFD for GPO, it can be an option, but we are waiting for the new DFD streaming and are discussing its implementation in GPO.

Gary Garritan

(3) Velocity sensitivity is nice, but most orchestral instruments (brass, woodwinds and strings) require continuous dynmaic control in order to be expressive. If we can assign controllers as mentioned in #2, then you can easily assign it (but you would have to re-assign attack).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I can see a scenario where You use velocity-sensitive \"expression\" when You just want to make an \"outline\" of the music You\'re creating. For me, being totally without orchestration knowledge - playing everything by ear (not the best choice according to some [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ), I find it very easy to just be able to play around using velocity for \"static\" expression, and then replace it with dynamic expression later on. This is how I used to work with HALion SE, but there You load another patch to achieve the change. Just re-assigning the controllers would be a really nice way to achieve the same \"effect\".

(4) Although you don\'t need DFD for GPO, it can be an option, but we are waiting for the new DFD streaming and are discussing its implementation in GPO.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If You, like me, use more than GPO for creating Your music, DFD would really be good to have, since I \"need\" other VSTi for a lot of my work which also need RAM. It would be fun to hear how many are really using GPO on laptops vs desktops, since the laptop scenario is one given reason for not prioritizing(sp?) DFD.

Anyway - it is so nice to hear that there are actually plans for the future, and that You\'re really listening to Your users, Gary. Three thumbs up!

Regards,
    Rico

Regarding (3), having the option to use velocity would be great in some circumstances, while the current method is great for others. The option to go either way would be ideal.

I would always use the current control set with a sequencer, whether I\'m playing around with ideas, or making a final GPO performance. However, with Sibelius the velocity approach would be best, as it doesn\'t support envelopes.

So my vote is for both as a user-selectable option. I would give something up if I have to choose just one.

The default? Definitely the mod-wheel. That\'s the key to getting the magic from GPO. Velocity control is valuable, but would be my secondary choice.

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    The default? Definitely the mod-wheel. That\'s the key to getting the magic from GPO. Velocity control is valuable, but would be my secondary choice.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The Mod Wheel is our choice too, but this option is proving problematic when people do not read the manual. The Mod Wheel defaults to a low setting. When folks just get the library, some wonder why there is little sound coming from GPO.

It may be best to default to velocity and then have the user set it to Mod Wheel. Or maybe make the use of the Mod Wheel more obvious (separate notice, red letters, disclaimer in licensing agreement, etc).

Any ideas to get new GPO users to first use the mod wheel?

We are exploring other options as well aand are welcome to your suggestions.

Gary Garritan

I would suggest two simple (hopefully!) improvements for the mod-wheel. The first would be to default to 50%, rather than zero. The second would be to make zero really go down to zero sound.

You wouldn\'t want to do the second without doing the first though. At least now, people will possibly hear the instrument whisper.

So... this would give sound out of the box, and would let us fade to silence (very important for cymbal rolls and the like). What\'s remaining is the education of the user. It would be cool if the player, or at least studio, put up a splash screen that said something about the mod-wheel, velocity/attack and legato. It should have an okay button and a checkbox to tell it to \"shaddup\" forevermore.

I realize that all of these changes may be on NI\'s or Plogue\'s to-do list, rather than your\'s or Tom\'s, but even if it takes time, the changes would be worthwhile.

These aren\'t show-stoppers though. I\'d really like the silent-zero thing, but they\'re probably medium priority.

Originally posted by Garritan:

Any ideas to get new GPO users to first use the mod wheel?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">My suggestion is write up something simple in the first couple of pages in the manual that states that all instruments fall into 1 of 2 categories depending upon how the volume is specified.

“How the Volume is Specified”
    </font><ul type=\"square\">[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Category 1. Maintained (or Upheld or Preserved or Supported or Tended) .
    (Bowed )Strings, Woodwinds, Brass, etc.</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Category 2. Launched (or Propelled or Discharged or Introduced) .
    Pizz Strings, (most) Percussion, Piano, etc.</font>[/list]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I do suggest giving the categories names that avoid similarity to established MIDI or Recording Engineering terms. I’m suggesting that you make up something new that is specific to the GPO perspective.

In the manual make a graphic that is immediately obvious, like a pie chart that divides all instruments into the 2 categories.

I suggest doing something similar for the Sustain feature.

(2) We seriously considered an option for reversing the mod wheel. We are trying to find a solution with NI to assign this data to the controller of your choosing. This is something being worked on.

Gary,

On all of our products - we have what some say is the mod setting \"upside down\". I agree with this suggestion. In DIVA, the mod is \"upside down\" so that on initial load the instrument is not silent.

It\'s a good suggestion and is a simple art file in GIGA. Not sure about NI.

Have the setup always default to the readme page with large warning about control of the mod wheel.

Go Back to forum