• Register
  • Help

Topic: What about the programming?

What about the programming?

I\'ve been hearing so much about GPO\'s great programming, but I can\'t find any more details--the Garritan website simply says \"more info available soon\" regarding articulations and controls.

Can somebody elaborate for me? What are some of the exceptional features? What are some things that GPO can do easily that have always been a pain with other libraries? Any personal anecdotes from using GPO that might entice me to buy it?

If anyone could post a full list of articulations and controls, that would be great.

Side note: what are KHSS and SAM?

Re: What about the programming?

Originally posted by CallMeZoot:

Side note: what are KHSS and SAM?

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">KHSS = Kirk Hunter\'s Solo Strings, a GIGA lib.

SAM = Project Sam\'s Brass, also a GIGA lib.

As far as GPO programming, I think they are referring to the incredible things Tom Hopkins did to fit an entire orchestra into the small amount of GBs that he did.

Instead of giving you multiple patches for dynamic levels, they are built in and controlled by the mod wheel. Legato samples are triggered by the sustain pedal instead of a seperate patch and the up/down bows are also controlled by the sustain pedal instead of seperate patches.

It was a brilliant way to get a huge bang from a small box...

Chandler, Arizona

Re: What about the programming?

One of the main programming features in the library is the consistency of controllers from sound to sound. This makes the library quick to learn and use.

All string sections include short bows with auto-alternating bow strokes and respond with more guts as you play the notes harder.

The sustain+short articulations in the strings are one of my favorites. The volume and timbre is controlled by the mod wheel. As you get louder, the tone gets brighter. The sustain pedal controls the legato mode which emulates play multiple notes on one bow stroke. Plus when you hit the notes harder a short bow attack comes in. You can actually go from staccato to legato without changes articulations. The same patches have a glide function for sliding between pitches. No key switches or program changes needed. The same programing can be found in the lush strings which are section strings and solo strings layered.

The woodwinds, brass and solo strings have envelopes that dynamically change with velocity. Higher velocities make quicker attacks and lower velocities have slower attacks. Each patch also includes legato mode which goes from tongued to slurred notes. There is also controllers to change the timbre and intonation which helps when playing fast repeated notes. This is programmed into all these instruments. This makes each sound able to play many different articulations without having to worry about changing articulations. The goal being for a fast quick writing process. This also helps work with notation programs easier.

The other main item is the ensemble builder which are instruments specially designed to build any size section. Since none of the instruments share the same wave pool, there are no phasing problems. You can now build any size ensemble from string quartets to chamber orchestra, Beethoven size classical orchestras to the large behemoth size modern orchestras.

There are other things such as the MIDI packets to do harp gliss in any key or scale. To date, no other package in this price range (or much higher) comes close to deep programming.

Hope this helps explain the library programming functions.

Go Back to forum