• Register
  • Help

Topic: Standard Setup of Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Standard Setup of Orchestra

What is your standard setup, your template?

I use

English Horn
    Flute Vib
    Oboe Modern
    Oboe Classical
    BB Clarinet 1
    BB Clarinet 2
    Bassoon
    Contrabassoon
    French Horn
    French Overlay
    Trumpet
    Trumpet Overlay
    Trombone
    Trombone Overlay
    Tuba
    Tuba - guess what - Overlay
    Violins 1 Lush
    Short
    Pizz
    Violins 2 Lush
    Short
    Pizz
    Viola Lush
    Short
    Pizz
    Cellos Lush
    Short
    Pizz
    Basses Lush
    Short
    Pizz
    Percussion (the one with most of them)
    Toys
    Gagliano, stradivari, guarneri - Solo

.. and a P-80 digital piano

Anyone with a very memoryeffective setup that coves most of the things?

Re: Standard Setup of Orchestra

Can you use this template with 1 gig of ram? (using dry instruments, I assume...) I can\'t...

Yes i can. But just to make it clear, i dont use ensembles of horns. Just a solo and then when i want an esemble, i use the overlay.

Im using Cubase SE, perhaps it uses less memory than whatever you are using.
    The taskmanager says 928Mb with all of this + Ambience and PSP MIxsaturator ... Messenger, Outlook express and internet explorer. (and norton antivirus, internet security and norton ghost)

If you keep similar instruments in the same instance of GPO it uses less memory. Strings - short bows and lush - uses the same samples.

My CPU is around 50%
    PIV 2.26, 1 Gig

Not to harp on this :-), but I\'m still amazed that I can\'t get more than 8 strings/4 horns playing lots of notes, etc., with my new G5 dual 2 ghz, 1 gig ram Power Mac...It seems like there is a substantial difference in optimization between GPO for PC vs. GPO for Mac...I think that perhaps Gary should warn Mac users that a more reasonable amount of RAM for a full orchestra using Panther (which itself takes up 400MB on my system) might be 1.5 or 2 gig minimum...
    - robjohn

Robjohn, I can get the same template but nearly double using VSL First Edition on a Mac G5 Dual 2Ghz / Emagic Logic 6.3.2 / EXS24MkII - and on merely 512MB. I have also heard that the guys at EWQLSO are getting 240 streaming voices on their Mac G5 in their authoring studio.

My point: if you\'re having problems with GPO running a normal setup in your G5 then there is something wrong either in the GPO optimization for Mac or perhaps in your setup. Another consideration is that GPO does not stream samples - it keeps them in RAM unlike VSL & EWQLSO - so the process may be entirely different and perceived differently by Mac Platforms.

This is an interesting thread. Keep me posted as to your progress.

Interesting yes, but please let it be about templates! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Crackbaby:
    What is your standard setup, your template?

I use

English Horn
    Flute Vib
    Oboe Modern
    Oboe Classical
    BB Clarinet 1
    BB Clarinet 2
    Bassoon
    Contrabassoon
    French Horn
    French Overlay
    Trumpet
    Trumpet Overlay
    Trombone
    Trombone Overlay
    Tuba
    Tuba - guess what - Overlay
    Violins 1 Lush
    Short
    Pizz
    Violins 2 Lush
    Short
    Pizz
    Viola Lush
    Short
    Pizz
    Cellos Lush
    Short
    Pizz
    Basses Lush
    Short
    Pizz
    Percussion (the one with most of them)
    Toys
    Gagliano, stradivari, guarneri - Solo

.. and a P-80 digital piano

Anyone with a very memoryeffective setup that coves most of the things?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sorry, I\'m a bit confused: how many instances are you using? 4? 5? It looks like the 1st one with all woodwinds, using all 8 slots; 2nd for brass using all 8 slots? but then I can\'t make out how you\'re dividing the strings and percussion among the other instances; does instance #3 contain the \'sections violins and violas\' multi? and how do you divide up the cellos, basses, and perc? Are you using all multi presets? In which instance did you put the solo violins?
    Thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Robjohn:

I am not using Panther but where did you learn that it uses 400MB just for system? Sounds way off.

Ed

Go Back to forum