• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: String Orchestra from Individual Instruments (No Sections)

Share/Bookmark

String Orchestra from Individual Instruments (No Sections)

Here is a string orchestra demo by Francesco Marchetti entitled \"TILL THE END\"

TILL THE END

This composition was done entirely with the individual solo strings in Personal Orchestra. There are no section strings in this composition whatsoever. The stringed orchestra was built one instrument at a time from individual stringed instruments.

To create his string orchestra, Francesco used 9 violins for the 1st violins section, 7 (starting at Gagliano 3 going down to the others) for the 2nd violins section, 3 violas+solo Viola, all 9 Cellos, and 3 Double Basses.

You will notice that the instruments do separate, divisi and unison lines throughour the piece.( i.e. 1:13 the 1st and the 2nd violins go on divisi (5&4 the 1st - 5&2 the 2nd), while violas and cellos take the lead.)

Thanks to Francesco for again gracing us with his music.

Gary Garritan

Re: String Orchestra from Individual Instruments (No Sections)

Great piece Francesco. It sounds good!

Gary, I don\'t know if I understand how GPO is built even yet. I read the manual and I get it generally.

Is each instrument in the solo strings a separate instrument. Is GAGLI ENS 1 different than GAGLI ENS 2 etc. What differences are there? Do they have different vibrato? Are they separate takes?

How many different solo violins are there? I think of 3. Gagli, Strad, Guerno. (sorry if I\'ve got the names wrong)

Simple and beautiful, thanks for sharing! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Francesco,

You are truly a master of orchestration. You have a way of putting so much feeling and expression into your music that when one gets to the end you are \"breathless\". Thanks for sharing with us. I am anxiously awaiting for Gary to make good on his promise of \"MIDI Files, Sequencer Song Files, Notation files, Templates and ...\" in particular some midi files and templates. Thanks again.

Dave

I can\'t believe that Nick Phoenix isn\'t here trying to say what \"serious phase problems\" there are with mixing multiple solo instruments for unison playing. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

But seriously - Francesco, as usual, this is absolutely gorgeous. You\'ve taken right to the new ensemble builder concept in Garritan Personal Orchestra and have managed to make a personal statement with it \"right off the bat\". Bravissimo!

From my understanding - it is the solo instrument that is divided into three ensemble instruments. Therefore - the three solo violins extrapolate out to nine ensemble instruments. So it would seem that they are taking every third sample and assigning it to each ensemble instrument, and stretching the intervening samples to what would be \"empty\" keys. That is the reason why you\'ll see Guarneri 3 solo as a 17.54 MB sample and Violin Guan 3 Ens as 6.03 MB.

Contrary to current mythology spread in other forums, Garritan has once again broken ground with an innovative approach in the sample industry, and Francesco\'s example is another good example that it works.

Absolutely beautiful!

It has sold me on the idea of building my string ensemble parts by combining individual instruments.

Thanks to all as always!!
    I\'ve also worked on the VAR 2 control, just to simulate different skills between the \"players\". Also some portamento pulled on the cellos.

I think it sounds good. An impulse (with SIR) was putted on the L-R mix.

Bye and thanks
    PS thanks Gary...you know why

Francesco,

Did you play all parts in separately? How long did it take you to do this beautiful piece?

There sure isn\'t any of the \'suction\' sound I\'ve heard in many other demos of other libraries.

Beautiful piece, Francesco. It sounds fantastic.

-- Martin

Some of us have been building a full string orch out of multiple layers of solo strings for a long time now, as per this Grieg example:

http://home.att.net/~elhardt3/String_Orchestra_Nord_160.mp3

And some of us actually synthesize our own strings as per the above mp3 done on a Nord Modular.

-Elhardt

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast