• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Alan's New GPO Skin #3 (Codename: The "Mingus" Skin)

Share/Bookmark

Alan\'s New GPO Skin #3 (Codename: The "Mingus" Skin)

As was requested...

Re: Alan\'s New GPO Skin #3 (Codename: The "Mingus" Skin)

looks a little better, but i think the \"black guy\" on this skin wouldn\'t be too happy to be called: bad black [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Alex, I\'m looking for the joke, but all I see in your post is massive disrespect. Shame.

Mingus was a giant in 20th century music.

Alan, although I do respect what you\'re doing with these skins, I\'m not quite sure I like the idea of having an african-american artist\'s picture on a black skin. What\'s next? A chinese composer for a yellow skin? Pink for a Malher skin?

As well, Mingus only passed away in 1979. Why not only use images of artists who have died a long time ago? I, for one, would feel used if my image was on a commercial product only 25 years after my death. Yeah, I know you can probably buy a dozen different Mingus t-shirts in NYC, but just because it\'s done doesn\'t make it right - right?

That\'s not actually Mingus on the skin...

It is just a stock photo from Getty Images, it reminded me of him while I was working on it, so I\'ve been referring to this skin as the Mingus skin.

I meant no disrespect to him, I love and respect his work. Again, that is not Mingus above, only a stock photo.

Originally posted by Ned Bouhalassa:
    Alex, I\'m looking for the joke, but all I see in your post is massive disrespect. Shame.

Mingus was a giant in 20th century music.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">hi ned,
    thats what i ment, maybe you checked it by your next reply. i don\'t care if its mingus, or any other black guy. all i said is that i think the black guy on this skin wouldn\'t like it, called to be a \"bad black *** \". but alan already changed it. i don\'t again mean to offense, but there could be black people around who could see kind of rasism in this skin.

What racisism? This is a greyscale (black & white) skin...

What difference does it make the ethnicity of the man playing the contrabass? Would it really make a difference if I used a pic of a white guy? There\'s white in this skin too incase you haven\'t noticed, would I be racist then, putting a white guy on a black and white background, and if not, how am I racist putting an African American on a black and white background?!?

Alan, no one is directly calling you a racist, so my advice is to cool down.

It can be noted, however, that this is the first GPO skin that features a person. That person happens to be a black man. The skin is your first black GPO skin. Can you see how some people might make a connection there? Perhaps blue, the colour of a famous jazz label, might make more sense... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

It\'s not even worth commenting on (the racist stuff)

Good job with these new skins Alan, I do like #2 as well. Very easy on the eyes.

Im not really making the connection here.

So if I were to make a skin with a white person in a white backround does that make me a white supremisist?

All I see is a black and white skin with a picture of a celloist. BTW I thought people wanted a darker backround, so let me ask you this... Would the skin then be okay if the celloist was white?

Go Back to forum