• Register
  • Help

Topic: any reason that I would need more than 4 gigs RAM?

Share/Bookmark

Re: any reason that I would need more than 4 gigs RAM?

Most programs can only use 2G at a time. Will you be using a few programs at once? If you\'re using s GPO studio with a sequencer and maybe another rewired softSynth then the answer is yes. (Or if your going to render a graphics job while working on a symphony)

The price of 1G sticks is high right now. So 4G is the max you can cost effectively load.

I have 4G and have not hit the wall with GPO yet. (I think the CPU would hit the wall before ram did)

So perhaps I could start out by getting an additional 1 gig (2 x 512 megs) for a total of 2 gigs ram on my system and see if this helps my GPO problems. Because of the way Power Mac ram works in pairs, I would then have 2 memory slots left for the future, for which I could eventually buy two 1-gig ram chipsets when prices come down, creating a total of 4 GB RAM on my system. As you say, perhaps by then it would be time for new computer anyway...(hard to imagine now but I know how fast technology flies :-))...
    Best -
    robjohn

Well, not a Sibelius user, but I\'ve got 2 GB on a 1.25 ghz dual G4, running GPO with DP4 or with Finale 2004 (just out!) using GPO Studio, and it runs with no problems.

Hope that helps . . .

any reason that I would need more than 4 gigs RAM?

As I\'ve previously posted in other threads, I was dismayed that GPO/Sibelius runs seemingly quite inefficiently with my Power Mac G5 dual 2 ghz machine with 1 gig of RAM, and so I\'m faced with the task of expanding my RAM capacity. If I buy what I can afford now - 1 gig installed as a pair of 512 meg chips, the maximum RAM I will further be able to upgrade my system to down the line would be 4 gigs RAM total. My question: is there any reason anyone can conceive of that I would eventually need more than 4 gigs of RAM on my system? I plan to use GPO but will gravitate to other samplers as necessary (including GOS for Kontakt whenever it\'s released, etc.) down the line. Thanks for any feedback -
    - robjohn

Go Back to forum