• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Specs

Share/Bookmark

GPO Specs

I\'d like to pick up GPO but the website is really vague on some things that should be mentioned. I did get an e-mail answer about chromatically sampled (solo) instruments. Now that I find out the whole library fits into memory (new info to me), I guess I can assume mono samples and relatively short loops. But there are a few questions still open.

What about running on a machine with less than 1GB of memory (I have 640MB on my Mac so I\'m not too bad off). The site seems to suggest maybe it can be done but gives no details. Not everybody needs to run a full orchestra at once. I just need one thing at a time, like the pipe organ, or brass section for example. Can just certain catagories of instruments be loaded?

Can the version of Konkatk that is included load other samples from other libraries other than GPO or does one have to upgrade to the full version of Kontatk for that?

Likewise, can the GPO library be used in Gigastudio?

Here we have a new library that can\'t even be bought yet (next question) and already I\'m seeing mention of bugs and updates and new add-ons. Quite frankly it already sounds like a mess (which is why I hate software). Will these current fixes and additions be in the shipping version so one doesn\'t need to immediately go to the Garritan and NI websites to download a bunch of fixes?

Also, every place I\'ve visited online says \"coming soon\" or \"pre-order\", yet many people seem to have it already. I can\'t figure out whether it\'s a current or future product. Any idea?

Thanks for the info.

-Elhardt

Re: GPO Specs

Well, GPO is shipping and is available, you may see the Pre-Order stuff on sites that haven\'t been updated yet, or because Garritan has gotten sooooo many orders that he can\'t keep up with shipping them all.

No, the version of Kontakt included can only load the GPO sounds, and no you cannot use GPO in Gigastudio. However, you can load GPO\'s stuff into the full version of Kontakt if you\'d like to edit and use the filters...

As far as RAM, I have 768MBs and run most of my orchestrations fine. I say most because one of them had three instances of GPO playing a lot of notes and it sometimes stutters, you should be fine if you don\'t expect to load a whole orchestra.

Elhardt, I wish I could answer more of your questions here, but regarding your 640 MB ram I don\'t see any problems there. I do have a gig, but I\'m not going to be working with 64 instruments loaded either.

I use Sonar and have a way I\'m used to working and I just don\'t tax my system because I can. I think I\'m definitely out of step with others here, but this question has come up in Sonar forums. Because I\'m familiar with the way most of the guys work within Sonar I tell them I flat out I wouldn\'t let the ram recommendation prevent me from buying the GPO. Now if they had 256mb I\'d tell them to go get more ram, but...

I\'d like to see Gary comment on this. I mean I don\'t want to be recommending the GPO to people with 512mb if he\'s strongly against it.

But the people I know for the most part are like you - if you want to use 128 instruments you\'re not going to have 64 loaded at one time.

But your post is the first I\'ve seen here that has come out and said that. I was going to ask robgb (Sonar user) how he worked, but I almost decided it might be impolite.

Hi Declan,
    as you use Sonar. Please allow me to ask. I have Sonar 2.2. In order to play VST/DXI instruments in realtime I need to set the Audio settings to absolutely quick. But every time I do it I get severe drop outs. Sonar simply stops while recording (after only a few seconds). I can\'t even work with one Audio-track loaded. Even midi alone is bad...
    any advise???
    thankx
    Harry

Hi oldh:

That sounds like bigtime souncard issues. What do you use? Also what to you mean about \"absolutely fast\" audio settings? Did you change the DMA buffer settings after you ran the wave profiler?

The first thing I\'d try is to reinstall the drivers for your soundcard - they sometimes get corrupted for no discernible reason. But if you\'ve tried that post back and I\'ll see if I can help. Good luck.

Originally posted by oldh:
    Hi Declan,
    as you use Sonar. Please allow me to ask. I have Sonar 2.2. In order to play VST/DXI instruments in realtime I need to set the Audio settings to absolutely quick. But every time I do it I get severe drop outs. Sonar simply stops while recording (after only a few seconds). I can\'t even work with one Audio-track loaded. Even midi alone is bad...
    any advise???
    thankx
    Harry
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Since you\'re having problems during record I agree that it might be a soundcard, or maybe a driver issue. What kind of soundcard is it?

Also, the Sonar 3 (plus the patches) has an improved audio engine that might buy you more perf.

I also have found that my latency has to be increased as I add tracks in Sonar (from disk). To avoid dropouts with lots of tracks playing (I generally have 20+ tracks in my tunes) I have to increase the latency so much that real-time is a dream. I generally submix at that point, and then perform the overdubs iwth the latency set much lower.

Elhardt,

I recommend using the search function on the forum to do searches for your questions. Most of the questions have been asked quite a few times so you will find quite a few answers.

The library has been shipping directly from Gary since November. He has had a hard time keeping up with the orders. If you order it direct from him though will will get it usually within a week.

Originally posted by oldh:
    Hi Declan,
    as you use Sonar. Please allow me to ask. I have Sonar 2.2. In order to play VST/DXI instruments in realtime I need to set the Audio settings to absolutely quick. But every time I do it I get severe drop outs.
    Harry
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Are you running as DXi or VSTi?

I tried this again last night with Sonar 3 with the DXi version. I did find that, after a while and after loading and unloading a bunch of instruments, I had to increase the latency to remove the pops. This did not happen running GPO with the VST Adapter, but I didn\'t have time to completely repro all the steps.

Thankx for all the suggestions regarding Sonar. I have a Delta 66 soundcard from midiman. I have tried several settings inside sonar. With regard to the \"fast audio\" settings I currently do not have access to my computer, but there is a window one can slide a button from to the left or right. I think this is the question about latency. If sliding it fully to the left I can use Trilogy for example (about) in realtime. But I get those annoying drop outs. If I slide the button to the right I don not have the drop outs for audio but far too high latency. But not after having recorded 20 tracks but already only with one. It is no fun. By the way: I do get pops & crackles too often on my audiotracks. Playing an electric guitar into the program I can only use one take from about ten & just don\'T know why this one take worked out clean.
    Thankx again guys
    Harry

I have a 512 meg Dell Precision Workstation 310 1.8Ghz P4 at work.

With Sonar and the VST version of GPO I am able to get about 3 instances of GPO with the smaller instruments (no piano, harp or keyswitch patches) loaded. With Overture using GPO studio, I was able to get 5 instances with 4 of them completely loaded and one with two instruments. I think there may even be room for a couple more.

-- Martin

Go Back to forum