• Register
  • Help

Topic: Combining ensembles and individual instruments

Share/Bookmark

Combining ensembles and individual instruments

As a compromise between using an \"ensemble\" sound (which sometimes sounds synthy and unconvincing) and using several individual solo instruments, I have discovered that combining an ensemble with 2 or 3 solo instruments can often yield convincing results - with the added advantage of not consuming too many instances, system resources, or polyphony.

Here is a very short example I threw together in a few minutes, using only 2 instances of GPO. In instance one, the first 4 slots are set (respectively) to 3 individual violins and a violin ensemble patch (thus making up the first violin section), all on MIDI channel 1, and the other 4 slots are set to 3 different individual violins and a different violin ensemble (making up the second violin section), all on MIDI channel 2.

In instance two, the first 4 slots are set to 3 individual violas and a viola ensemble (on MIDI channel 3), and the other 4 are set to 3 individual cellos and a cello ensemble (on MIDI channel 4).

Hence, an entire and (somewhat) convincing string orchestra using only 2 GPO instances and 4 MIDI channels:

www.cadebryant.com/cadence/songs/StringSequence.mp3

Please let me know what you think.

Re: Combining ensembles and individual instruments

It\'s amazing man. Thanks a lot for sharing the trick ! I can\'t wait to receive my GPO [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Cade, very nice. I\'ve been accused of fawning over GPO, but I have to say that this one of the best examples of natural sounding sample strings I\'ve heard in awhile. Great opening, too.

Originally posted by robgb:
    Cade, very nice. I\'ve been accused of fawning over GPO, but I have to say that this one of the best examples of natural sounding sample strings I\'ve heard in awhile. Great opening, too.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks!

I plan on doing more work, e.g., redoing the articulations and maybe using the \"Var\" knob.

Can you tell that I\'m a fan of Aaron Copland and other 20th century composers?

The lush section string articulations are basically this. It is section (ensemble) strings with 3 or 4 solo instruments layered.

Cade,

FYI: In the present player VAR1 functions correctly, VAR2 does not. The VAR2 knob works but it cannot be automated with MIDI data (cc24). NI is working to correct this as soon as possible. I just wanted to save you some frustration trying to get it to work!

Tom

Sounds a bit like the KI Strings from GOS

Peter,

I believe Ashif used a combination of solo and section string samples in the construction of his KI Strings, which probably accounts for the familial resemblance. By the way, the “Lush” strings in GPO use the basic sample set of the KI strings (thanks go to Ashif) but with different programming.

Tom

Probably obvious question: is the idea here that when you play a note on your keyboard transmitting on midi channel 1, you\'ll be able to hear all first violin sounds simultaneously (versus having to separately perform each patch comprising the first violin section?), and that with the built in variation functions and different patches it will still sound like different players performing together even though you\'ve only hit one note?
    - robjohn

Go Back to forum