• Register
  • Help

Topic: Suggestions for the bass drum

Share/Bookmark

Suggestions for the bass drum

Going into slight nit-pick mode, and it will only matter in the rare instance of an exposed bass drum part (guess who needs one?), but I imagine it may be very easy to update this, so I\'ll give it a mention.

1. The sound has a nice long decay, and if you lift the played key, it damps, which is how it should be. However, it is difficult to play shorter repeated notes convincingly, because of the damping between each note. I believe the sustain pedal should be operational for this sound, so that I don\'t have to bring every note-off to very beginning of the next note-on.

2. There is a very noticeable jump in attack and volume at around a velocity of 55 (give or take a few values). It seems to jump from ppp to mp, with nothing between. I\'ve had to turn the mix way down, and use higher values to compensate, but it\'s slightly artificial.

3. There should be a way to load in the bass drum along with the bass drum roll without loading the entire percussion section. Loading in just the bass drum note excludes the roll. It would be very useful to have them load together by default, or have an alternate load with just the roll.

Re: Suggestions for the bass drum

1. The sound has a nice long decay, and if you lift the played key, it damps, which is how it should be. However, it is difficult to play shorter repeated notes convincingly, because of the damping between each note. I believe the sustain pedal should be operational for this sound, so that I don\'t have to bring every note-off to very beginning of the next note-on.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I wish there were a left and right hit on the bass drum or even 4-8 hits so you could play a slower roll (to tempo)

2. There is a very noticeable jump in attack and volume at around a velocity of 55 (give or take a few values). It seems to jump from ppp to mp, with nothing between. I\'ve had to turn the mix way down, and use higher values to compensate, but it\'s slightly artificial.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Don\'t notice this.

3. There should be a way to load in the bass drum along with the bass drum roll without loading the entire percussion section. Loading in just the bass drum note excludes the roll. It would be very useful to have them load together by default, or have an alternate load with just the roll.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Just load in the Bass Drum. (Not the BasicOrch Perc Combo) You get just the bass drum and the roll. (But not the left and right bass drum)

I also WISH there were woodblocks.

Skysaw,

1.) A reasonable request. I\'ll look into it.
    2.) I\'ll take care of it.
    3.) rJames is right - it\'s already there in the separate Bass Drum instrument.

rJames,

I\'ll see what I can do about right and left hand Bass Drum hits. I\'ll look around for some wood blocks. Unfortunately, the neighbor dogs are always chewing on them.

Tom

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting... I could have sworn the bass drum sound only had one note mapped (no roll). I guess I\'ll check again when I\'m home this evening.

Skysaw,

C1=BD hit
    C#1=BD roll (mod wheel)

Tom

yes, woodblocks!

If you\'re so inclined, you could actually modulate the BD fundamental beteen two values (or a group of like values) with VST automation (or perhaps a MIDI controller, Tom?) and simulate the shift in formant by the strike coming from different places. It doesn\'t need to be a big shift, but perhaps one just below obvious listening levels. I haven\'t tried it myself, but it\'s a thought.

Oh - and I agree, woodblocks would be great - I\'m surprised that I\'ve not missed them yet. There\'s a spec cue on my list that has a western theme, and my Copland ripoff would miss it dearly... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Two heads with different tension will give you slightly different pitch on the same drum (assuming that you are playing that way - if you envision laying the drum to and angle and striking the same head, than it may not work for your scenario.) I was talking about very small values - like switching between 64 and 65 - not a large shift.

You might also want to try something like putting alternate hits on separate MIDI/audio/output channels and EQ\'ing them differently to make a timbral difference. There are a few ways to add some variability, although it may not get you all the way to the sound of a different strike.

I was brought up on using analog FM for percussion sounds, so this is a bit of hair-splitting for me. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I would think that shifting the fundamental equates to a change in the diameter of the drum, not in hit location. That wouldn\'t make sense, except as a special effect.

Hey, I\'ll give anything a try if it means more realism. I\'m a born hair-splitter! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum