• Register
  • Help

Topic: VOL vs. Mod wheel with Sonar3

Share/Bookmark

VOL vs. Mod wheel with Sonar3

In using GPO with Sonar 3.1.1 I\'ve selected the Option in Kontact to use the standard Vol and Pan controls so I can use those controls via Sonar. However, it seems the Mod wheel still has some control of the volume (cresendo/decrescendo) Is this correct or am I missing something

I\'ve also had difficulty settin initial volume levels for different instruments, I think because of the interaction between Vol and Mod wheel settings. (For axample Bb Clarinet solo level seems much lower than Picallo given equal setting of GPO mod-Vol and Sonar vol

Any advice for setting initial levels? Should I insert a mod wheel CC# at the start of each track then use Sonars vol control or is there a better (more logical way)

Thanks,
    fred

Re: VOL vs. Mod wheel with Sonar3

Fred,

Selecting the option for activating cc#7 and cc#10 only adds the ability to send MIDI controller commands to the player for adjusting overall volume and pan (rather than manually setting those parameters with the player’s volume and pan knobs). The design and structure of the instruments remain unchanged – instruments that use the mod wheel to control volume/timbre still do so.

The upcoming Sonar templates take advantage of a nice feature in Sonar to automatically set the mod wheel to a moderate level when the template is loaded. This is a convenience and changes nothing about the requirement to use the mod wheel dynamically throughout a track for expression – the mod wheel is not a “set and forget” controller. Think of the mod wheel as being roughly the equivalent of cc#11 in its purpose. That is: Expressive volume changes within a track. Conversely, cc#7,with one exception, is not intended to control dynamic changes within a track. It should be used to set the overall level of an instrument in relation to the other instruments being used in the mix. The exception is using cc#7 for “trim” control when necessary. A good example would be if you wanted an instrument to fade to complete silence (something a real wind or string instrument cannot do) – you could bring the mod wheel to its minimum position and extend the decrease in volume all the way to zero by using cc#7.

Tom

Set the maximum volume for the instrument using CC7 (Volume). You then want to control expression using CC1 (Modulation).

Read the manual, yo! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Most GPO instruments use the mod wheel to control volume. This is addressed in great detail in the excellent GPO manual.

Thanks Tom,

2 questions left

What \"upcoming Sonar templates\" (I\'m running 3.1.1pe)

Trying to avoid mutiple places to make expression changes I\'ll elect activating GPO cc#7 and cc#10 and insert mod wheel cc1 in sonar. If I standardize setting the GPO volume a \"0\" db do I risk overdriving GPO output when sending a mod wheel cc or shoul I standardize GPO volume with a setting of say -6DB
    Thanks,
    Fred

Fred,

I’m preparing a group of templates for, among others, Sonar 3.1 (the only version I have) for ensembles of various sizes. Basically, everything is pre-configured, including track labeling, reverb sends, and GPO instrument loads, so that the user need only pick a track and start recording. When complete, these will be made available for download on the Garritan site.

“If I standardize setting the GPO volume a \"0\" db do I risk overdriving GPO output when sending a mod wheel cc or shoul I standardize GPO volume with a setting of say -6DB”

There is no set answer for this if the goal is to achieve the best possible S/N ratio. It depends upon many things including how many instruments you are using in your mix, the maximum dynamic level of your piece, the relative levels of the instruments you are using, the maximum number of notes being played by any polyphonic instruments like piano, etc. Remember that all of these things are additive. A soft piece with only a few instruments will require higher level settings for each of the instruments to achieve the best signal to noise ratio without overload. A loud piece with many instruments will require much lower levels for each of the instruments to avoid overload. Watch the meters and use your ears. In time, you should be able to tailor some custom templates to your personal way of writing with efficient levels set to your most commonly encountered situations.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks again for the response,

I look foreword to the templates

Given the multitude of controls over the same parameter (depending on which piece of software you choose to diddle with the parameter) I was trying to minimize redundancy to avoid my usual confusion over where best to initiate control. Sometimes (for me at least) a limited number of choices is better until I learn all the variables.

Again, thanks for the response,

Fred

I don\'t like to set the CC7 Volume levels in Sonar for GPO. I usually just adjust the Volume and Pan levels in the player or in Kontakt. Tom Hopkins pretty much balanced the different sections out. This is why the strings are usually -6 db and the brass and woodwinds in the -17 db to -12 db range. I usually boost the sustained double bass section to about -1 db as it seems to be much quieter than the other sections. I usually boost the Basses and Cellos a tiny bity, bring the violas down a tad and leave the violins the same. These are set in basic templates.

With these levels set I usually hit 0 db on the \'ff\' full orchestra areas. I like looking at the volume levels of the audio channels in Sonar and then check the master output to make sure this doesn\'t hit 0 db. If it does, then I pull the sections back in 1 db increments.

Go Back to forum