• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: The Big Switch

Share/Bookmark

The Big Switch

Hello Everyone,

I just made the changeover to 21st century computing. I have a new 64-bit computer with 64 megs of RAM and a 28-inch monitor and lots of other good stuff. Can anyone give me the lowdown on what I need to do to convert all of my music software and everything else from 32 to 64-bit? Will all of my Garritan material work in 64-bit? Do all of the Garritan sample libraries come in 64-bit also? Questions, questions.

I look forward to hearing from you because I need your advice.

Thanks very much in advance. I appreciate it.

My best,

Larry G. Alexander
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: The Big Switch

Hi Larry,

A BIG congratulations ... WOW!!! What a racehorse you have now!

I can answer a couple of your questions ...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    Hello Everyone,

... Can anyone give me the lowdown on what I need to do to convert all of my music software and everything else from 32 to 64-bit? Will all of my Garritan material work in 64-bit? ...
    I THINK you are also a Cakewalk/Sonar User? If so, both the 32bit and 64 bit versions are available within your install (mine was a download so no CD's. Also, although I've up-graded, I'm still using X1 Producer in64-bit mode).

Yes, all my Garritan libraries work fine on my 64-bit PC, using Sonar VSTi to host Aria.

I'm sure other's will help with the rest.

Best of luck Larry!

Frank
    Frank D'Erasmo
    FABD Music - Arrangements-Orchestrations
    All Styles ... Specializing in Jazz, Theater, Latin & Pop

Garritan JaBB, GPO, CoMB, World, GAS, Stradivari Violin & GigaStudio. Sonar X2 Producer, Pro Tools, Performer & Finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hi Larry,

A BIG congratulations ... WOW!!! What a racehorse you have now!

I can answer a couple of your questions ...

I THINK you are also a Cakewalk/Sonar User? If so, both the 32bit and 64 bit versions are available within your install (mine was a download so no CD's. Also, although I've up-graded, I'm still using X1 Producer in64-bit mode).

Yes, all my Garritan libraries work fine on my 64-bit PC, using Sonar VSTi to host Aria.

I'm sure other's will help with the rest.

Best of luck Larry!

Frank
    Good to hear from you, Mister Frank...my old Yankee baseball friend.

Thanks for responding with the helpful information.

I hope that you are in good health.

Best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hey Larry! Congrats, EH! I am jealous! :P I assume you meant 64 gb of ram, that is a lot! I am at 8gb. Sonar comes with a 64 bit installer, I am using version 8.5 64 bit. Although I own X3, I just could never get a grasp of how they changed the midi editing. All of the Garritan libraries use Aria which also comes in 64 bit. For all the other software, it will work even if they don't have 64 bit support. Good luck with the new gear!!

Your frozen friend,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    Hey Larry! Congrats, EH! I am jealous! :P I assume you meant 64 gb of ram, that is a lot! I am at 8gb. Sonar comes with a 64 bit installer, I am using version 8.5 64 bit. Although I own X3, I just could never get a grasp of how they changed the midi editing. All of the Garritan libraries use Aria which also comes in 64 bit. For all the other software, it will work even if they don't have 64 bit support. Good luck with the new gear!!

Your frozen friend,

Richard
    Yes, I meant sixty-four gigabytes of RAM, Mister Richard. I had a senior moment. Sorry 'bout that.

Thanks for all of the tips and information. I appreciate it.

Best,

Larry

No problem Larry! Did you make a new account!? :P

Well, Larry, congratulations on your new contraption. That is a lot of computer!! But I would not like it because I don't want the trouble of learning another system. I have both XP and 8.1,and I much prefer the XP system, but it reached it's maximum memory and was too slow for internet use. So with your grand system, if you have a decent internet provider, you should really sail along in cyber space!

I shall sit back and admire your system, but I will keep what I have. (but not the pneumonia, which has got to go! not a good thing for a long time asthma sufferer!!!)

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    No problem Larry! Did you make a new account!? :P
    Yes I did but I wish that I hadn't. I want to return to my original user name, password, number of posts, etc. but haven't been able to do so.

Correction: I have sixteen gigs of RAM with a sixty-four bit system. Another "senior moment" for me.

My best to you.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Well, Larry, congratulations on your new contraption. That is a lot of computer!! But I would not like it because I don't want the trouble of learning another system. I have both XP and 8.1,and I much prefer the XP system, but it reached it's maximum memory and was too slow for internet use. So with your grand system, if you have a decent internet provider, you should really sail along in cyber space!

I shall sit back and admire your system, but I will keep what I have. (but not the pneumonia, which has got to go! not a good thing for a long time asthma sufferer!!!)

Richard
    Frankly, I like the XP OS too but it became inadequate for my needs.

I hope that you have a quick and complete recovery, Mister Richard.

Thanks for your message.

Best,

Larry

Did you forget your password, or is the board just not letting you log back in with the username?

Quote Originally Posted by larryalex1 View Post
    Yes I did but I wish that I hadn't. I want to return to my original user name, password, number of posts, etc. but haven't been able to do so.

Correction: I have sixteen gigs of RAM with a sixty-four bit system. Another "senior moment" for me.

My best to you.

Larry

Go Back to forum