• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Increased my RAM, but now slower GPO loading times

Share/Bookmark

Increased my RAM, but now slower GPO loading times

Hey Guys,

I just recently increased my RAM from 512MB to 2GB (same kind, same MHz of RAM as before) so I could load more instances of Kontakt in GPO. But now what used to take, say, 17 seconds to load a saved file (a saved Kontakt instance) off my hard drive now takes about 2 minutes to load the EXACT same file! Is this normal? I definately have the capacity to load many more instruments in GPO than I could before and this is great, but I fear as I begin to work with and load more instances of Kontakt this 2 minute loading time (to load just one instance) will grow to 15 minutes, a half hour, etc.! I do not have this problem with any of my other programs--in fact, in Gigastudio, my saved GOS \"pallettes\" seem to load even quicker than before. Is it because GPO is designed to work entirely in RAM that I\'m noticing this slower loading time of my instances now that I\'ve increased my RAM? An IT guy thought I might need to download a BIOS update for my motherboard. I did this last night, but there was no change re: my GPO loading of Kontakt instances. If anyone has any idea what\'s going on or knows of a way to remedy this slower loading time, I would be most grateful. (I have Windows XP Home Edition. My sequencer is Cubase VST 5.0). Again I\'m not having any trouble opening up any programs or opening any other files--only GPO (Kontakt) instances.

Thanks,
    Frodo [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Increased my RAM, but now slower GPO loading times

Double check which player version you\'re using. I believe that NI changed a setting that forces all of the instruments to use non-paging memory. There are a few threads on that here.

With 1.5 GB of memory, I turn paging off on my machines.

hey I am in the same boat - I use the VST version through sonar3.1. The I went from 768 to 1.25 gb memory and load times slowed way down. Oddly this is not consistent. there are times when it loads as fast as it used to... I just figured it was the Kontact player updates, but now I wonder.

When you say you turn paging off - what are you referring to? did you set your page file size ot zero or something?

Houston,

I\'m using the Kontakt Player that came with GPO which I updated from their site after registering it. Does this updated version automatically have the \"paging\" turned off? How do you check to make sure that it is off? (If I understand right you\'re saying \"off\" is what I want, correct?)

Frodo

Frodo,

Long time no hear...

Do you have PhotoShop? If you open photoshop and your paging is turned off, it will tell you, with an extremely irritating warning message EVERY SINGLE TIME THE PROGRAM OPENS! I\'m alittle cheesed about it....

If you don\'t, you can check this by goiung to the Control Panel and clicking on system. There is a tab for memory in there, might just actually be called \"Memory\" I haven\'t been to it in a while and in there it will give you the option of letting Windows control Paging file size for you, or manually setting it, manually set it to \"0\"...

This will turn it off, and give you an EXTREMELY irritating warning EVERYTIME you open up PhotoShop! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks Alan, I\'ll try it when I get home and see if that does anything.

The new Kontakt updates do have slower load times but the tradeoff is better performance.

There is a workaround to improve loading speed by changing a registry entry that has to do with memory paging. I\'ve tried it and it works but it can be a dangerous thing to fuss with the windows registry. I\'ll ask Native Instruments if the a write a reg file that will install and uninstall the entry.

Gary Garritan

The registry entry to change is: disableMemoryPaging=0

If you have no idea where this is in the registry, then I don\'t recommend changing it. Most people familiar with the registry editor will have an idea where to find it.

Again, you might want to wait to see if for someone to post a .reg fix file.

I have made the change and I\'m back to loading normally. I have 2 GB of memory in my machine. It\'s probably not recommended to make the change if you have under 1 GB of memory or if you\'re filling 1 GB up to the max.

I have 1 gig ram, dual channel and will be increasing to 1.5 to 2 gigs very soon. Should I be concerned about this paging problem? Should everyone with 1 gig ram + turn off paging?

Also, side question to pc experts:

For short term, I am thinking of taking a 512 ram from my other computer to use with my dual channel ram computer.
    Will there be a conflict if I install a regular 512 stick ram with my current 2 512 dual channel sticks. And what are the consequences if I combine ram from different manufacturers?

As long as your not maxing out your memory then it should be no problem making this change. I have seen the sounds get paged out to virtual memory once since I started beta testing GPO and that was in Kontakt. This caused pops in my playback. Had to reboot and it\'s never happened since.

Dual channel RAM has to be installed 2 sticks at a time as it is interleaved between the 2 sticks. So the answer is no on adding just one 512 MB stick. Some motherboards will allow just one stick but then you revert back to non dual channel.

I recommend loading your machine with all the same brand and type of RAM.

Go Back to forum