• Register
  • Help

Topic: Volume controls are a little wacked

Share/Bookmark

Volume controls are a little wacked

I\'m working on creating some String parts and one of the things that I keep running into (with GPO) is the fact that everytime I stop my sequencer (Logic) my modulation wheel is automatically returned to ZERO. Nasty. Makes it rather hard to work with your sounds when they are always quiet. Then after you get going again and hit record, your mod wheel is at a different level so the next move you make will create a jump in the mod wheel MIDI CC Data. Anybody found a better way to work with this situation??

J-

Re: Volume controls are a little wacked

You should always record your mod wheel volume level with each track. Set it at the beginning of the track. Make sure Logic is searching back for controllers - not sure what this setting is called. This will make Logic search to the last controller so it will set levels.

Well I\'ve got chase events on and I\'m recording the Mod Wheel on the same track but it doesn\'t seem to be working. Any logic users anywhere???????

Originally posted by J. Whaley:
    Well I\'ve got chase events on and I\'m recording the Mod Wheel on the same track but it doesn\'t seem to be working. Any logic users anywhere???????
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'ve put together a straightforward Logic environment for GPO users that takes care of this mod-wheel reset problem. Only thing is, you might not like the other features of the setup. So lemme give you a quick rundown and then you can PM me and tell me if u want me to email you a copy:
    1) all incoming CC#1 (modulation) and #64 (sustain) events are filtered from the sequencer input, channelized in a channel splitter to cha\'s 1-8, and passed through a series of \'automation splitter\' transformers which transform the CC\'s to fader events.
    2) The fader events for each channel are cabled directly into a specific sub-channel of the multi-instrument that is cabled to the \'all cha\' GPO-instantiated Audio instrument.

In a nutshell, all mod wheel and sustain data that you record will NOT be imbedded into the sequences themselves as Object Based Automation, but instead will show up in real-time as Track-Based Automation curves directly on the track corresponding to the right GPO sub-channel. As a result, the mod and sus data can be edited (latch/write/read, etc.) just as Logic\'s volume and pan automation (as well as some of it\'s built-in plug-in automation). I find this a lot more handy and efficient than having to draw everything in by hand in the object hyperdraw; additionally, there\'s no CC reset problems this way.
    Tell me if you\'d like to try it and I\'ll send it to you with more details; it\'s really quite straightforward.
    Peter [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

hummmmmm.... verrrry innnteresting...... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

J-

oops

Originally posted by Pfd4:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by J. Whaley:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'ve put together a straightforward Logic environment for GPO users that takes care of this mod-wheel reset problem....Tell me if you\'d like to try it and I\'ll send it to you with more details; it\'s really quite straightforward.
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Peter,

I appreciate your finding a workaround using the Logic Environment. We have contacted NI and Apple/Emagic about this issue and hopefully there will be a fix. In the meantime this may be a good workaround for Logic Users.
    Thanks for offering this solution.
    Gary Garritan

The solution is simple. Get in the habit of recording GPO midi volume data prior to playing your first note of the track. This is easily accomplished using an external controller - after hitting the record button, simply jiggle the mod wheel at the desired location until midi volume data is recorded. Then start refcording the note data.

Steve

Originally posted by Pfd4:
    Tell me if you\'d like to try it and I\'ll send it to you with more details; it\'s really quite straightforward.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes...can you send more details about the environment you setup or send files?

Originally posted by kstevege:
    ...simply jiggle the mod wheel at the desired location until midi volume data is recorded. Then start refcording the note data.

Steve
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It\'s simple if you have a mod wheel.

My favorite controller doesn\'t -- and because GPO uses such a non-standard approach it\'s a PITA that even in Sonar all the volume settings are at zero again.

I can draw in volume, of course (and this is the only way I can handle it right now without buying another controller) but it would be so much nicer if the NI engine just left the mod wheel at the mid range position until it received data to the contrary.

Go Back to forum