• Register
  • Help

Topic: [OT] need switch box recommendation to share mac with pc

Share/Bookmark

[OT] need switch box recommendation to share mac with pc

Hi,
    This is admittedly off-topic but I thought someone in this group might have some thoughts on this: I have a dual g5 mac (with dual video output) and an older pc. I\'d like to buy an appropriate switch such that when it\'s in position 1, I have my Mac on both monitors, and my 1 computer keyboard and mouse operates the Mac; in position 2, I have Mac on monitor 1, PC on monitor 2, and my computer keyboard and mouse operates the PC. I already have a DVI-to VGA adaptor so I can use my PC monitor with my Mac\'s dual video card.

Any recommendations as to which switch box to purchase? I saw this one:

http://www.rainbowkits.com/boxes.html

but have no idea if it\'s any good and if there\'s a difference among such boxes. Thanks for any thoughts -
    - robjohn

Re: [OT] need switch box recommendation to share mac with pc

I use an IOGear Miniview KVM switch for this purpose. At present it has two computers and monitors attached to it, there is room for two more. I\'m quite happy with it.

Shop carefully. It does make a difference which one you get. NOte of caution: Specialty keyboards, mice, multi button controllers don\'t play well through some of these devices, they send a generic (\"I\'m a mouse\") signal, instead of the true ID of the unit ....

Trond

Re: [OT] need switch box recommendation to share mac with pc

I do use 3 PC-s and one Mac sharing keyboard, Mouse and -if I want- also the monitor. I do use this KMV since nearly two years and it never did give any kind of problems. It is a NTI ST-AU from Network Technologies Incorporated. The only downside: it is expensive.....

Go Back to forum