• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New song-please critique (Ned-or anyone) no holds barred

Share/Bookmark

New song-please critique (Ned-or anyone) no holds barred

Please critique this new song I\'ve been working on. Especially if you have constructive criticism BUT even if you have deconstructive criticism.

I\'m all ears. (Which makes me walk funny) [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Heraldry

Re: New song-please critique (Ned-or anyone) no holds barred

rJames,

The composition is nice, but the whole piece overall, sounds too thin. Try EQing some low end into it maybe?

I really like the strings at the 1:05 area.

And I personally would add some more \'verb, but that\'s just because I am a sucker for the \'verb...

Hi rJames,
    I find it a beautiful music,but maybe needs some improvement in programming. By my point of view the trumpets (and all in general) sounds too much legato. When the strings goes on tara-tara-ta, tara-tara-ta I need to hear more shorter bows as TA-ta-TA-ta-TA (you are wondering if I\'m crazy!).
    Anyway it\'s a good piece. My minor suggestion is to think more as a real player, than a keyboardist (if you intent is to play as a real orchestra). Our body is a great instrument, and it can help very much in fooling our mind. So don\'t be shy with yourself and try to play (for ex) the violins line as you hold a violin in your left arm, and a bow in your right arm. You will surely see the difference then when you play on the keyboard.

Ciao
    Francesco

Did you use GPO for the brass and strings? It sounds different

yes, all GPO, what sounds different, specifically?

Francesco, I used the sustain pedal alternate bowing of the solo strings. I find that the alternate bow hasn\'t much bite to it. What would you do in the strings that you are commenting on? Would you use all forward bows? More staccato?

On the trumpets, I can\'t get a real staccato sound there either. I have the overlay on top to give it bite. Do they need to be more staccato?

This is exactly why I wrote this piece. To try to get brass.

Kick up the velocity of the strings you want to sound \'harder\', not the mod data, but the velocity. This will give you a harder attack on the string and will produce the difference I think Francesco is asking for...

I think that if alternating bowing gives you no good results, you don\'t have to keep this feature as absolute. You only have to do what is good for your hear, and not because the manual say that playing that way you get the alternation. I NEVER use the alternation in short bows (on GPO obviously). This kind of \"effect\" I get playing with accents (as Alan said)and it comes appreciable in the most times.
    The overlay patches doesn\'t have a good attack, try with the ENS ones, you will get a stronger attack. you can let the overlays on the background, just to give a more plenty sound.
    If you hear \"ahh...movies\" you can find, in the first passage from tempo 1 to tempo 2, a really staccato trombones and trumpets. they are ENS patches, as well as the muted-trumpet near the end.

Hope this help.
    Enjoy
    Francesco

Put GPO into your cannons [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    make music, not war [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (just kidding)

Put GPO into your cannons
    make music, not war ;-)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Don\'t kid about something like that. That sounds like a good plan. (But there are some who would wield GPO like a sword to slay their foes-over on the Sample Libraries Forum)

Seriously now, I\'ve done some editing. But I can\'t make those trumpets carring along the ta-ta-ta-ta-ta line sound like trumpets.

But I\'ve changed the short bows to \"Short Bows\" and have pumped up the velocity into the red on the trumpets. Any improvement?

Same address Heraldry

Alan, I know that velocity control isn\'t volume(mod), thanks. I did take your advice and kick it up.

Unlike the master, Francesco, I write as I program. Never touch a keyboard (wouldn\'t know what to do with one if I had it). But I get in a rush as I go and forget to go back and tweak some parts.

I forget which are tweaked and not. And in this case I forgot that I could pump up the timbre. Thanks for the reminder.

Did it help?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast