• Register
  • Help

Topic: OK, I'll buy, but.....

Share/Bookmark

OK, I\'ll buy, but.....

I\'ve decided to get GPO.
    A few questions about hardware/software setup:
    (sorry. please bear with me...)

I\'m getting a new computer. Anything about this list bother anyone?

Win.XP home
    Asus nVidia nforce2 motherboard
    AMD Athlon XP 2700+ CPU
    2x512 pc2700 333mhz memory(1Gb total)
    MAudio 2496 sound card
    NEC ND-2500A DVD+-R/RW 8X
    120Gb SATA hard drive
    ATI Radeon 9200 128MB video card

Any opinions?

I\'m also wondering if I will need a keyboard/midi controller to get the right control over sounds in GPO. I use Sibelius for notation input.

Will the included software that comes with GPO(Cubasis, Kontakt, etc.)be enough \"other\" software or are there other applications needed to get good results?

Thanks

Re: OK, I\'ll buy, but.....

Looks like a good set-up to me, that won\'t cost an arm and a leg. I\'m running GPO with a 2500+ and having no problems.

atye,

Looks like a good setup for GPO. Although a keyboard/midi controller is recommended, some people input directly with a mouse. It is a lot more work if you want to shape dynamics and to get a more fluid control of sounds. If you are an advanced Sibelius user, you may be fine, but it may be helpful to have an inexpensive controller to help input controller data.

We have a program called GPO Studio which will let you play GPO sounds from Sibelius. The Cubasis program will also let you get good results. Cubasis hosts 4 instance of the Kontakt Player and is a fine sequencing program. Some of the GPO demos were done with the bundled Cubasis.

Gary Garritan

Andy,

I would definitely get a keyboard controller. At home, I use GPO strictly with a keyboard controller, and the results have been much better than what I am doing at work translating an Overture score that was entered note by note to use GPO. It is MUCH easier to be expressive if you play the parts.

I did just get an Evolution 449 keyboard controller at work, so that should help a lot. So far, it seems very nice.

-- Martin

Depending on how much you want to load .. perhaps 1.5Gb of ram is an improvment.
    I dont mean that 1Gb isnt enough, i have been able to produce full orchestral work with that. But if you want to load everything .. all ensembles and solos .. ALL. Then you need more. (The samplefiles use 1.81Gb on the harddrive)

Ambience reverb is optimized for AMD so you are lucky there [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (something i read in the latest SOS)

Thanks folks!

How \'bout another question:

Will I see a tangible difference in speed using a Serial-ATA (SATA)hard drive versus regular ATA?

Thanks

Originally posted by atye:
    Thanks folks!

How \'bout another question:

Will I see a tangible difference in speed using a Serial-ATA (SATA)hard drive versus regular ATA?

Thanks
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Andy,

Since GPO runs off of RAM there should be no difference.

Gary Garritan

Andy,

You may see a little speed increase when loading in songs with a large amount of samples. The price on the serial ATA drives have come down quite a bit and are not much more that the standard IDE drives. So you might as well go with the newer technology. Also, the serial ATA drives only use one driver per connector so your not sharing bandwidth between master and slave drives.

Go Back to forum