• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Wind controler and GPO: how to use

Share/Bookmark

Wind controler and GPO: how to use

I intend to buy a wind controler (actually a breath controler as I´m not used to the fingering of brass players).

Does anyone know if GPO can be programmed to respond to breath controlers? I would like to control the timbre and volume using the wind controler. I´m quite sure, it would add some more realism to the brass sounds (especially woodwinds). I have a full version of Kontakt so I´m a bit more flexible in programing.

Could anyone give me some advice?

Thanks for your help
    Best regards
    Raindog

Re: Wind controler and GPO: how to use

Many use GPO with wind controllers, or breath controllers. The only trick is to remap cc2 from your breath controller into cc1 in Kontakt. There are a myriad of ways to make it work, depending on your platform and sequencer. The remap can often be done within the sequencer, for example.

Trond

Originally posted by dnortana:
    Many use GPO with wind controllers, or breath controllers. The only trick is to remap cc2 from your breath controller into cc1 in Kontakt. There are a myriad of ways to make it work, depending on your platform and sequencer. The remap can often be done within the sequencer, for example.

Trond
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks very much. This sounds pretty simple. I´ll give it a try.

Hi. I’m new to GPO and this forum. You all are great! I’ve seen a lot of creative minds offering to help others (like me) with problems—i.e., problems related to GPO! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] (We\'ll keep it simple and stick with GPO for now!)

I\'m sorry to belabor this point. But, I\'m still having trouble with the wind controller. I use a WX-5 and Sonar 2.2. I have a bunch of cool wind patches set up for my Kurzweil and Roland synths, but I can\'t get past the remapping thing to use breath control in GPO.

Sonar can remap some things, but doesn’t appear to be able to remap CCs. If I’m wrong, maybe there’s another Sonar user who can set me straight. Trond, thank you for mentioning Bidule. I have downloaded that, but there\'s so much other unrelated stuff I can’t see the forrest through the trees.

I just want to be able to remap CC2 to CC1. Is there someone who could please explain this to me? If I have to use Bidule, could someone (Trond?) please explain it to me simply—I spent several hours trying to figure it out last night. Maybe I just got impatient. Or maybe there’s a simpler app that can do the remapping.

Thanks in advance!

Charley

Never mind. I finally got Bidule to do the remapping for me. Thanks again, Trond, for turning me on to that program. Works great! I\'m a happy camper!

Charley

Now that you\'ve got GPO working with your WX-5, would you agree, it\'s like this library was designed to be played on a wind controller?

I\'m interested to know your impression. I\'ve been preaching this, but so far there\'s no one else in the congregation [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Trond

Now that you\'ve got GPO working with your WX-5, would you agree, it\'s like this library was designed to be played on a wind controller?

I\'m interested to know your impression. I\'ve been preaching this, but so far there\'s no one else in the congregation [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Trond
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You\'re preaching to the choir with me [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The first time out, using my WX-5 with GPO, having changed cc1 to cc2 in Kontakt, I was a little disconcerted because I thought I could actually hear the slide down the back side of the hump in the flared portion of the flex envelope that GPO uses to expand the sample attacks. Clearly the velocity response is calibrated for keyboards, where it\'s rare to get up well into the 100s, even with a soft curve set. Anyhow, it was easy to adjust for.

I know how evangelical a wind controller can make can us feel. First time I heard Wendy Carlos\'s Digital Moonscapes, I thought, if only she had used a wind controller! I wasn\'t the least bit put off that she had rolled her own orchestral instruments using additive synthesis -- just seemed to me the only thing that kept the album from being its own little perfect meta-orchestral world was the obvious keyboard-isms in the control.

And the first time I test-drove GPO\'s solo violins with my WX-5, I thought, this is the only way to drive these things.

OTOH, while trying mock up a Stravinsky piece with GPO/WX-5 last weekend, I kept thinking, everything\'s coming out so puff-puff-puff, I think I\'ll switch back to keyboard plus mod wheel, and at least for the oboe lines, for that night\'s work, that seemed to work better.

Either way, there\'s a certain amount of cleanup to do. With the wind-controller, there\'s a certain amount of cleaning out little blippy note-on fragments, even if you\'re in practice and playing well. With the keyboard, it\'s just way too easy to slur everything together, with overlaps between every note, so a certain amount of \"punctuation\" has to be added in after the fact.

I had to bite my tongue reading the current thread on the main forum talking up wind controllers, because I\'m all for everyone experiencing how really wonderful they are. But I also really want to believe there are many ways to skin the cat, given enough time and effort. Sometimes I like to study the cc curves I generate with my wind controller and then try to mimic them either with the mod wheel or with my Wacom tablet. Or with the mouse, even.

In answer to Raindog\'s original question, you can also use Midi-Ox in the midi chain to remap cc2 to cc1.

Greg

I addition to my original question regarding wind controllers and GPO I want to add a second one.
    As the replies were quite encouraging but I don´t know the fingering of woodwinds (which takes Yamahas WX5 and WX7 out of the race) I would know how the combination of a BC3 and Kurzweil expressionmate would be.
    I could get my hands on a used one (the additional ribbon controller itsself is very tempting!)but I don´t know how the experiences of users are. BTW: is there a hardware merge function to get a combined midi output with a keyboard or will I have to do that using my software (e.g. putting midi input in Cubase to all)?

Thanks for your help
    Best regards
    Raindog

Raindog,

If I understood your question, I think the answer depends on your software. In Digital Performer, for example, ANY midi input (even from multiple hardware devices simultaneously) will feed a record enabled track. It sounds like the \'all\' in your sequencer would do the job perfectly. Is there a reason that wouldn\'t work for you?

If your sequencing software won\'t do what you want, you could get the merge-job done \'pre-sequencer\' with a little app like Bidule (www.plogue.com).

Does this answer your question?

Trond

Raindog,

If I understood your question, I think the answer depends on your software. In Digital Performer, for example, ANY midi input (even from multiple hardware devices simultaneously) will feed a record enabled track. It sounds like the \'all\' in your sequencer would do the job perfectly. Is there a reason that wouldn\'t work for you?

If your sequencing software won\'t do what you want, you could get the merge-job done \'pre-sequencer\' with a little app like Bidule (www.plogue.com).

Does this answer your question?

Trond
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks for your reply. I´m sure it works with software as I do this all the time (playing e.g. organ from 2 keyboards at the same time. The question regarding the hardware merge is more related to life performance where a breath controller would be handy as well and a software solution might not be possible.

Go Back to forum